Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-21-2020, 10:29 AM   #1
deleted
Enthusiast
deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook simple touch
Replacement for Onyx Boox M96 - Nova , or Note?

Hello everyone.

I'm stationed in China, enduring a period of isolation (quarantine) as a result of coronavirus . As luck would have it, in the confined space that is my castle for the next two weeks, I left my Onyx M96 on the bed, forgot about it and then lay on top of it, cracking the screen - that sucks! No books for me.
So what to do?

It's the 2nd time the screens gone (over 4 years). I'd prefer to just replace the screen but I doubt whether the device could endure it twice... I seem to remember the toggle switch button solder being one issue amongst others.

Perhaps I should get a new device.

I'm thinking about the Nova/Nova Pro, or Note 2.

I read a lot of pdfs, and I markup manuscripts, the device needs to be able to handle these conveniently. I also read epubs.

Reservations about Nova : maybe too small.

Reservations about Note : maybe too big / more susceptible to damage.

High priorities: durability.
Some iterations of the above devices have plastic screens. Are they superior? (I'm not saving forests, lowering footprints if the screens keep breaking).

Other priority: weight (M96 is too heavy)

Aux: I'd love it if the user interface was more friendly -import, export, book marks, search function.

What can you recommend?
Are the devices a suitable replacement for M96. Does one fare better than the others? Feel free to recommend other devices too.
deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:53 PM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deleted View Post
What can you recommend?
Are the devices a suitable replacement for M96. Does one fare better than the others? Feel free to recommend other devices too.
Likebook Alita - 10.3" flexible display, Android 6, 4/32 GB, Wacom.
~ $500
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2020, 03:54 PM   #3
etn
etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.etn shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Pocketbook
I think it comes down to wether you want a 7.8" (Nova) or a 10" (Note 2)
Reading PDF is, in my opinion, not possible on a 7.8" - and I find it challenging on the 10" Note 2 which I recently acquired for that purpose (I also have a 7.8" Pocketbook.)

About weight, depends on what you can tolerate - the Note 2 feels light enough to me to hold while reading, but everyone is different. Can you order from a store with a return policy?

Wish you good luck with your quarantine and the virus!!!
etn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:01 PM   #4
deleted
Enthusiast
deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook simple touch
Thanks @etn!
@Ottischwenk, thanks for the recommendation. I wasn't really aware of the Likebook brand. Though it sounds like the software may not be well designed in terms of cropping?

It's hard for me to judge on the 7.8" - I see them loading pdfs on youtube, but it's another thing whether it is a sustainable to read for a long time. For me the Onyx's 9.7" was pretty good.

My reservations with the larger screens are: weight, and durability. I do a lot of travel; putting a large slim object into a bag seems risky. The reason my Onyx m96 cracked twice was due to chassis flex.

I'm lucky that I'm able to access China's second hand market (Xianyu) and there's a lot of e-ink stuff on there. I'll keep thinking about it.
deleted is offline   Reply With Quote