Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-18-2016, 01:24 AM   #1
atl068
atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Onyx Boox m96
Onyx Boox m96 - latest firmware

Just upgraded my firmware to the latest: 2016-08-12_15-10_1.7.5_da062b6

http://boox.com/index.php/en/support...1-6-5-20141110

Very impressed with the updates compared to my previous Jan 2015 firmware. It is a very usable device...

However, I find that USB doesn't seem to work at all. My computer doesn't detect it at all... but it charges. I tried to root it, but because the computer doesn't detect the device, I am unable to get any root methods to work. Kingoroot on the device itself also failed.

I need it badly, because my App space is empty all the time.

Anyone else with the same problem? Any solution? Any other way to root?
atl068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:52 AM   #2
Rosa_WM
Enthusiast
Rosa_WM will become famous soon enoughRosa_WM will become famous soon enoughRosa_WM will become famous soon enoughRosa_WM will become famous soon enoughRosa_WM will become famous soon enoughRosa_WM will become famous soon enoughRosa_WM will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle PW2, Onyx Boox M96
I'm using the same firmware, and the USB connection works fine. I rooted the device by installing towelroot through an SD card.
Rosa_WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2016, 04:32 AM   #3
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
Sometimes I have your problem with some USB cable. Try another one.
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #4
atl068
atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.atl068 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Ok. Will try again with different cable...
Old 10-19-2016, 09:30 PM   #5
atl068

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa_WM View Post
I'm using the same firmware, and the USB connection works fine. I rooted the device by installing towelroot through an SD card.
Towelroot... I tried that, from towelroot.com (official site?) and installed and started it. Then I clicked on "make it ra1n"... waited overnight, and nothing else displayed. I tried root checker basic after that and it is still not rooted. Do we really have the same firmware and device? Mine is a plain vanilla m96 with onyx boox latest rom as above. Happy for any further help here.

I will look for a different cable. Alas, my last cable actually almost killed my device. I had to open the case, push one of the pins back in place (yes, it was sticking to the back of the mini-usb connector)... otherwise my m96 stopped charging altogether. So perhaps it wasn't the new ROM, but another pin might also be faulty in my onyx boox thanks to a low quality cable (i think i used the supplied cable... I'm now using a different cable from my very old USB hub that used mini-USB).
Advert
Old 10-20-2016, 03:43 AM   #6
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Hi,
In the video for the Onyx Max, Booxtor use 'SuperSU', look at 2min 02 s. I don't know if this is useful.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:12 PM   #7
Rosa_WM
Enthusiast
Rosa_WM will become famous soon enoughRosa_WM will become famous soon enoughRosa_WM will become famous soon enoughRosa_WM will become famous soon enoughRosa_WM will become famous soon enoughRosa_WM will become famous soon enoughRosa_WM will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle PW2, Onyx Boox M96
I think we've got the same thing. I've got the most basic m96. It was bought from Artatech but I flashed the device and moved to booxtor/international version at some point. Right now I'm running 1.7.5_da062b6.

towelroot.com is probably the official site. However, I used the file from here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=14
Apparently the v1 version of towelroot is no longer available on the official site.

On some previous firmwares the device froze after clicking on "make it ra1n", but on the 1.7.5 it didn't. I think I restarted the device anyway. SuperSU sees the root, and I disabled some of the system apps with SystemAppRemover.
Rosa_WM is offline   Reply With Quote