Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-09-2024, 09:24 PM   #1
HBoyter
HBoyter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Simple Impossible Question

Can a Kindle library be copied over to Calibre in less than four steps or without inventing a new software language? Can nobody just post - can't be done?
HBoyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 09:42 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
No, not in less than four steps. It can be done, but it requires installing Calibre, several Calibre plugins, and if you have no eink Kindle device (a Fire doesn't count), also a Kindle for PC/Mac application.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 06:57 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBoyter View Post
Can a Kindle library be copied over to Calibre in less than four steps or without inventing a new software language? Can nobody just post - can't be done?
I'm guessing that it can't be done in 4 steps or less, but I'm pretty sure "a new software language" isn't needed.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 08:05 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm guessing that it can't be done in 4 steps or less, but I'm pretty sure "a new software language" isn't needed.
Probably 'a new software language' means a new program. Some programmers write in C (much C++, Java or Javascript) or ForTran (much BASIC or Javascript) anyway, always.

And I agree, not easily automated, especially downloads from Amazon Content page.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 01:20 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Probably 'a new software language' means a new program. Some programmers write in C (much C++, Java or Javascript) or ForTran (much BASIC or Javascript) anyway, always.

I think you are missing some languages.
Old 01-10-2024, 02:22 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think you are missing some languages.
Good Fortran (or C) programmers can do it any any language.

Sadly: https://www.theregister.com/2024/01/...irth_obituary/

Last edited by Quoth; 01-10-2024 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-10-2024, 02:53 PM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Good Fortran (or C) programmers can do it any any language.

Maybe. They may be able to do it, but I'm guessing it would be fairly unmanageable.

My assumption is the "Kindle library" the OP refers to is in the Amazon Cloud.
Old 01-10-2024, 05:28 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Maybe. They may be able to do it, but I'm guessing it would be fairly unmanageable.

My assumption is the "Kindle library" the OP refers to is in the Amazon Cloud.
I was referring to writing programs in general, facetiously, not the question in hand.
Yes, the content you see logged into your Amazon account using a browser. It wouldn't be impossible to automate the multiple downloads, but certainly very very difficult. Series of menus, buttons, radio buttons (even if only one Kindle registered) and loads of javascript. You can't even get the ebook listing all on one web page. I'm sure it's deliberate that you can only do one at a time and it needs multiple finger taps or mouse clicks on different things and positions on the screen.

After it's downloaded it can all be automatically deDRMed and imported to Calibre in one go.

An amazon server or network of them. Cloud is marketing speak.