Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-19-2024, 03:12 PM   #1
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Reliable place to get publisher info

I've been rebuilding my ebook library in Calibre and so far, I've been using the ISBNs to scrape publisher info from Goodreads, but I'm finding it to be somewhat inconsistent. The librarians at GR may have use any number of options, including but not limited to:
  • Publisher (e.g. Simon & Schuster)
  • Publisher office (e.g. Simon & Schuster UK)
  • Division (e.g. Pocket Books)
  • Imprint (e.g. Baen Books)
  • Other (e.g. "Simon & Schuster / Star Trek" or just "Star Trek")
Presentation of the publisher name may also be inconsistent:
  • Simon & Schuster
  • Simon and Schuster
  • Simon & Schuster, inc
  • Simon & Schuster, Inc.

I've tried scraping from other sources and they all seem inconsistent like this. I don't mind checking them as I go but It's not always clear what's best to put in Calibre's "Publisher" box. The top-level company, or the "deepest" level, like an imprint. And is there a reliable place in the title or copyright page to get this info?

Thanks in advance.
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 06:17 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard3000 View Post
. .

And is there a reliable place in the title or copyright page to get this info?
Nope - I use the Manage Categories tool to tidy up 'duplicate' Series, Tags, Publishers etc on an ad-hoc basis, usually at the time I happen to spot an anomaly.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2024, 06:57 PM   #3
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@BetterRed

I think the OP is asking for a reliable site to check/download accurate data. I don't think he asking "how" to fix it.

For the Publishers box, I add whatever is in the Copyright page.
I don't know of any one stop reliable site for this data. I use a combination of wikipedia, archive.org or the publishers / authors site.
I also check the copyright page of the pbook if I happen to own it.
You might find the same release on archive.org and check the copyright page there.
I don't trust Goodreads as a site.

Not so bad if you only add a book once every week or two, but if you are trying to fix a library of hundreds or thousands of books, it will be quite a bit of work
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 08:26 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Not so bad if you only add a book once every week or two, but if you are trying to fix a library of hundreds or thousands of books, it will be quite a bit of work
Indeed - but unless you are seriously inflicted with OCD or in the middle of the book supply chain itself, as a consumer, or even a retailer, you probably don't want to differentiate between Hachette UK Limited and Hachette UK and maybe even not with Hachette Australia Pty Ltd, or Hachette Australia.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 08:39 PM   #5
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
you probably don't want to differentiate between Hachette UK Limited and Hachette UK and maybe even not with Hachette Australia Pty Ltd, or Hachette Australia.
... or Hachette Digital

Yep, definitely agree. I generally round down to the common name - Hachette
Advert
Old 04-19-2024, 08:43 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I strip the business Legal structure off (Inc, Ltd...)
I also use the Copyright page to locate the IMPRINT when possible

Baen Books, (actually, Baen logo has SF or Fantasy on some, so I do use those when obvious) and not not their distribution SS

And with the Randy Penguin buying up so many imprints, this is also why I prefer Imprint.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 09:15 PM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
The Find Duplicates plugin has an option for metadata variations, which can help to some extent.

Publishers are a mess.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 09:35 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I tried to clean up publisher metadata... once. The job was so slow that I just gave up. Publisher names are a real hot mess, yeah. I just leave them alone. Not worth the effort.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 09:51 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I tried to clean up publisher metadata... once. The job was so slow that I just gave up. Publisher names are a real hot mess, yeah. I just leave them alone. Not worth the effort.
You can clean off the INC or LTD in the Tag browser, that does all uses with one change.

I also replace cases of Authors name (That has no other distinction) as Publisher with 'Author Published'
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 10:02 PM   #10
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I also replace cases of Authors name (That has no other distinction) as Publisher with 'Author Published'
I have have a template in my general cleanup action chain that checks if they're identical and then blanks them.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 04-19-2024 at 10:08 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 10:29 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You can clean off the INC or LTD in the Tag browser, that does all uses with one change.
Yes, I know, but that was the least of it, unfortunately. There just are countless variations on a single publisher name. As I said, it was really not worth the effort going through all of them (depends on how many books you have, of course).
Old 04-19-2024, 10:31 PM   #12
Karellen
Wizard

For 505 books in my library, I have 96 publishers.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:38 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
For 505 books in my library, I have 96 publishers.
I have about 7000 publishers for close to 40,000 books. Many of those are actually the same publisher with different versions of their name.
Old 04-21-2024, 01:13 AM   #14
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Ugh, so it sounds like it's basically all manual, which is sort of what I expected. I always ensure my books have copyright info so I'll have that to grab the publisher; and where it's missing, I'll try and create one from an image from OpenLibrary or eBay listings.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll have to just do my best to represent the publisher as best I can and weed out the worst aberrations.
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 06:02 AM   #15
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard3000 View Post
Presentation of the publisher name may also be inconsistent:
  • Simon & Schuster
  • Simon and Schuster
  • Simon & Schuster, inc
  • Simon & Schuster, Inc.
I hope I haven't misunderstood anything, but why not use the rules for the metadata source - also works with Regex?
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_tWaen4Ybkd.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	207741
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
imprint, library, publisher