Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-18-2024, 08:32 PM   #1
bearymore
Zealot
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
Question New Tab Mini C - Add fonts and USB

I just received my new Tab Mini C today and have a multitude of questions. First and foremost though are two: How do I add fonts? and Can I connect directly to my computer by USB so I can use Calibre other than having to go through Calibre Companion? Previously I had a Kobo Aura One which would offer a USB connection opportunity when I plugged in the cable and was immediately recognized by Calibre or, for that matter, the operating system. On the mini C I hear a little ping and nothing but charging. Furthermore, adding fonts to the Kobo was as easy as porting .otf or .ttf files to a font directory. Same with dictionaries to a dictionary directory. What is the procedure for adding fonts (and dictionaries) to the Mini C?
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 12:28 AM   #2
Wolf-HRB
Enthusiast
Wolf-HRB began at the beginning.

Device: PW3, PW4 and PW5 Signature Edition
if you want to set the customized overall system display font, you need to update the system version to V3.5.1. If you just want to change the reader's font, then there are no system version limitations. About the font formats, both TTF and OTF are supported. If you want to add the font to the device, simply create a folder called "font" (lower case only) and then throw the font files inside (the preferred size of the file is less than 15MB). for the detail steps of how to use the fonts on Tab, you could google it because it is a bit hard to describe by using words.
Wolf-HRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2024, 03:00 PM   #3
bearymore
Zealot
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Aha! What I missed was creating the font folder and moving the fonts from Download to the font folder and then rebooting. I thought the fonts were there because even though they were still in the download folder, they showed up in "Fonts" with a capital F on the first page of Tab. I do have 3.5.1 and the downloaded fonts did show up in the list of system fonts under settings before I moved them, but they did not show up in NeoReader.

Now all I need to know is how to access my computer through USB
Old 04-22-2024, 01:40 PM   #4
bigwigs
Enthusiast
bigwigs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If you are using mac then you would need https://www.android.com/filetransfer/
for other OS, you can use file viewer when connecting via USB.
bigwigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 03:36 PM   #5
bearymore
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwigs View Post
If you are using mac then you would need https://www.android.com/filetransfer/
for other OS, you can use file viewer when connecting via USB.
The trouble is, my computer doesn't see the Boox. I use Linux, but I booted Windows which also didn't see the device. As it turns out, I can do what I need by using BOOX drop and Calibre Companion over wifi, but wifi would be simpler.
Advert
Old 04-22-2024, 04:22 PM   #6
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
You can use ADB over WiFi.
I prefer ADB over USB.
The default is MTP over USB, which I don't use.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 06:44 AM   #7
bigwigs
Enthusiast

ok, when you connect what usb connection mode is set? Also, is USB debugging enabled in your Boox? If not, you need to enable it.

You can enable USB Debug Mode on the Apps page and then click on the "Options" icon (three horizontal lines on top right), then click "App Management". There you will have USB Debugging.

Last edited by bigwigs; 04-23-2024 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-23-2024, 03:59 PM   #8
bearymore
Zealot

Quote:
ok, when you connect what usb connection mode is set? Also, is USB debugging enabled in your Boox? If not, you need to enable it.

You can enable USB Debug Mode on the Apps page and then click on the "Options" icon (three horizontal lines on top right), then click "App Management". There you will have USB Debugging.
I've got USB Debug Mode set by going to settings on the device's home page and the more settings option under that where I can turn on debugging mode. As for connection mode, I don't know where I can set that, which I presumably have to set on the Boox. On my old Kobo, when I plugged in, a dialog asked if I wanted to connect to the computer. On my Android phone, I get a dialog asking if I want to allow file sharing. On this device, I get no dialog to set mtp or file sharing mode although, having set USB Debugging, my computer sees the device, but doesn't mount it.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:48 AM   #9
bigwigs
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearymore View Post
I've got USB Debug Mode set by going to settings on the device's home page and the more settings option under that where I can turn on debugging mode. As for connection mode, I don't know where I can set that, which I presumably have to set on the Boox. On my old Kobo, when I plugged in, a dialog asked if I wanted to connect to the computer. On my Android phone, I get a dialog asking if I want to allow file sharing. On this device, I get no dialog to set mtp or file sharing mode although, having set USB Debugging, my computer sees the device, but doesn't mount it.
Is there any icon on top bar? See if you can swipe down from top of screen and if it provides you with options to setup USB connections.
Old 04-24-2024, 02:54 PM   #10
bearymore
Zealot

Quote:
Is there any icon on top bar? See if you can swipe down from top of screen and if it provides you with options to setup USB connections.
I didn't see any. Frankly, this software is not at all intuitive. I keep finding things that I can use to adjust things to my liking, but often only by luck after I've given up. I really wish they had made a users manual available. The help available after clicking the help icon on the home screen is mostly useless as well.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:41 PM   #11
bigwigs
Enthusiast

Check attachments
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4023.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	757.9 KB
ID:	207814   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4024.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	821.4 KB
ID:	207815  
Old 04-24-2024, 04:45 PM   #12
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Check attachments
You've got too many devices!
Old 04-24-2024, 04:56 PM   #13
bigwigs
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
You've got too many devices!
Yeah, more than u can think of
Old 04-24-2024, 05:11 PM   #14
bearymore
Zealot

Quote:
Check attachments
Now I am confused. The first attachment shows I have USB debugging enabled on the settings - more settings page. The second attachment shows my library page and the absence of the little icon you are pointing to. The third attachment shows The contents of the pull down note. I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240424_140310.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	949.1 KB
ID:	207816   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240424_140358.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	207817   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240424_140410.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	207818  

Last edited by bearymore; 04-24-2024 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:04 PM   #15
Renate
Wizard

Yeah, but the little R only pops up when it's actually connected to a USB host.

Tags
tab mini c