Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-15-2024, 08:53 AM   #1
lethalox
lethalox began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-500
Using the Editor for a newbie

I have short story that I converted from an .lrf file. Unfortunately the conversion is a messed up. With breaks in the text artificially sprinkled throughout the document. Since I also have the short story in a pbook, it was easy enough to address. Where I am struggling is that I can seem to get an a text indent for every line break.

Here is the stylesheet.
.body {
display: block;
font-size: 1.125em;
line-height: 1.2;
padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0;
margin: 0 5pt
}
.bs {
color: rgb(0, 0, 0);
font-size: 0.88889em;
font-weight: normal;
text-align: left;
text-indent: 10pt;
border: rgb(0, 0, 0) solid 0;
margin: 0
}
.calibre {
display: block
text-indent: 30pt;
}
.calibre1 {
margin: 1em 0
}

The line breaks are marked as <br class="calibre"/>. But at each line, there is no indent. A paragraph break will get an indent with <p class="calibre1">.

And help would be much appreciated.
Much thanks!
lethalox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 09:01 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Replace all instances of <br class="calibre"/> with </p><p class="calibre1">.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 10:16 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You have one of those books with 1 CODED paragraph and BR to make a newline

You need to replace all the <br class="calibre"/>
with
</p> <p class="calibre1">

That ends the current actual paragraph and the starts a new one (using the remainder of the text)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 10:43 AM   #4
lethalox

Using so does the br tag and class not support an indent?
I understand using the <p> gets the indent but <p> also creates a lot of visual separation between paragraphs that would not like to have.

Much thx...
Old 04-15-2024, 01:23 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalox View Post
I understand using the <p> gets the indent but <p> also creates a lot of visual separation between paragraphs that would not like to have.

Much thx...
That's because you have a 1em margin in your paragraph code. Change that to 0 if you don't want any spaces between paragraphs.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 03:43 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

Much thx...
Indent belongs to a Block Level tag.
BR is inside a the text, so all you can do is Line height.

W3schools is where you can learn about CSS. Not everything you see there is aimed at Web pages. EPUB is a subset
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 05:12 PM   #7
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Look at the css for the calibre1 style, it has 1em space for the top and bottom margins.

Code:
If the margin property has two values:

margin: 10px 5px;
        top and bottom margins are 10px
        right and left margins are 5px
Change it to:
Code:
.calibre1 {
margin: 0;
}
Code:
.calibre1 {
    margin-top: 0;
    margin-right: 0;
    margin-bottom: 0;
    margin-left: 0;

}
]
See https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_margin.php for explanation of css margins.

bernie

Quote:
I have short story that I converted from an .lrf file. Unfortunately the conversion is a messed up. With breaks in the text artificially sprinkled throughout the document. Since I also have the short story in a pbook, it was easy enough to address. Where I am struggling is that I can seem to get an a text indent for every line break.

Here is the stylesheet.
Spoiler:
.body {
font-size: 1.125em;
line-height: 1.2;
padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0;
margin: 0 5pt
}
.bs {
color: rgb(0, 0, 0);
font-size: 0.88889em;
font-weight: normal;
text-align: left;
text-indent: 10pt;
border: rgb(0, 0, 0) solid 0;
margin: 0
}
.calibre {
display: block
}
.calibre1 {
margin: 1em 0
}

The line breaks are marked as <br class="calibre"/>. But at each line, there is no indent. A paragraph break will get an indent with <p class="calibre1">.

And help would be much appreciated.
Much thanks!

Quote:

Much thx...
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 03:30 PM   #8
lethalox

Thx

Thank you for all you support. I have learned much....

Tags
css