Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2024, 12:47 AM   #106
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Of the 4 people I know who have had their Amazon account suspended over returns, only one was unable to have the suspension lifted. Perhaps his habit of purchasing ebooks, downloading them, stripping the DRM, saving the resulting ebook and then returning them had something to do with this. Surprisingly() Amazon takes notice when you have purchased and returned several hundred ebooks over a 4 month period while rarely even starting to read any of them.

This bit of karma warms my heart. I see people on Reddit and even here promoting that sort of barbarous behavior as perfectly acceptable, but it’s a terrible thing to do to the authors they supposedly enjoy. I’m glad Amazon takes notice.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 02:28 AM   #107
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I chargebacked Spectrum because they charged me for an iPhone that they failed to ever ship, and failed to properly refund after several several weeks of me calling and asking and the CS rep giving me a date in the not to far future.

My bank was not amused by Spectrum literally committing fraud and sorted them out in a few days. Spectrum hasn’t banned my account.

I’d be surprised if Amazon actually randomly banned people who happened to return several times a year. I’d be significantly less surprised if they banned people who had a pattern of suspicious returns over the course of months.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 03:48 AM   #108
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Doing a credit card chargeback might get you banned from Amazon (and many other sites too). Chargeback is not something you do lightly though, a last resort.
When I got drafted into basic military service, which was over 20 years ago, I was unable to pay some of my bills to Amazon via debit card, and they did, very unsurprisingly, lock my account. You need to keep in mind, that basic military service really didn't pay much at all, because you get "free food and housing", and it's only for 9 months. Back then it was actually very easy to unlock the account, I just had to pay my due Amazon bills.

Back then, Amazon had huge problems with the Better Business Bureau in Germany, and they legally cannot prevent access to bought content (e.g. books for Kindle) so, at least 20 years ago, even a chargeback couldn't get you fully banned on Amazon.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 03:49 AM   #109
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I’d be surprised if Amazon actually randomly banned people who happened to return several times a year. I’d be significantly less surprised if they banned people who had a pattern of suspicious returns over the course of months.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=amazon+ban...y+items&ia=web
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 08:24 AM   #110
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
No, it's obviously not a couple of items or random. But it is opaque as to how they decide.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 09:04 AM   #111
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
No, it's obviously not a couple of items or random. But it is opaque as to how they decide.
From what I've skimmed, it maybe depends on whether your Amazon account is profitable for them or not. So an Amazon Prime user who makes many orders a year is less likely to get banned, for instance.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release