Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-29-2022, 09:44 PM   #91
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Didn't Kindles use to support .cbz files natively? No mention of that in the supported list but I wonder...
No. Kindles use their own proprietary formats for comics and manga.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:39 PM   #92
DenS
Connoisseur
DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DenS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I don't know for sure but I have seen signs of support being added to support handwritten notes in KFX format. I have not seen signs of that for the older Kindle formats. That suggests to me that Amazon may start converting personal documents to KFX instead of KF8 (azw3) format later this year.
Wait, what? If I buy a book (epub) from another store, will Amazon convert that epub to KFX if I email it? Wow! This is very interesting!
DenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2022, 10:50 PM   #93
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenS View Post
Wait, what? If I buy a book (epub) from another store, will Amazon convert that epub to KFX if I email it? Wow! This is very interesting!
Currently they convert to KF8 and MOBI. Future conversion to KFX is a supposition on my part. It might not happen.
Old 09-30-2022, 12:04 AM   #94
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Currently they convert to KF8 and MOBI. Future conversion to KFX is a supposition on my part. It might not happen.
And if the book has DRM (like many commercial epubs have), then Amazon won't convert it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 01:40 PM   #95
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
My hope is that Amazon will now finally revamp the Kindle for PC and Mac apps with support for personal documents. Now that they have to make these and notes available on Mac and PC they have no more excuse…
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2022, 02:09 PM   #96
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenS View Post
As jhowell said, they convert to mobi not KFX. And they're kinda of picky about the epub they accept, often failing without explaining why
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 02:43 PM   #97
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
My hope is that Amazon will now finally revamp the Kindle for PC and Mac apps with support for personal documents. Now that they have to make these and notes available on Mac and PC they have no more excuse…
The PC and Mac apps now support personal documents.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-30-2022 at 02:47 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 02:54 PM   #98
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The PC and Mac apps now support personal documents.
Yes. And I believe that support for cloud collections will also be coming soon. After many years of neglect Amazon is finally putting some effort into those apps.
Old 09-30-2022, 03:04 PM   #99
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
Amazon actually set up the Kindle Scribe website domains that they registered all the way back in 2012 or so to redirect to the Amazon page for the Kindle Scribe.
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 03:33 PM   #100
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The product page says that "Send them [PDF or Word documents] to your Kindle Scribe through your desktop web browser ...".

This does not seem to involve first using Send To Kindle or sending via email. Perhaps you put the Scribe into Receive mode, and it fires up a web page that you can open from your computer (on same local network), and then drag and drop files to the web page to copy them over wirelessly.

It would be very nice if this feature were also available on other Kindles too.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 03:51 PM   #101
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The product page says that "Send them [PDF or Word documents] to your Kindle Scribe through your desktop web browser ...".

This does not seem to involve first using Send To Kindle or sending via email. Perhaps you put the Scribe into Receive mode, and it fires up a web page that you can open from your computer (on same local network), and then drag and drop files to the web page to copy them over wirelessly.

It would be very nice if this feature were also available on other Kindles too.
Sounds to me like they'll just add an " upload document" to the Amazon websites?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 05:50 PM   #102
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Sounds to me like they'll just add an " upload document" to the Amazon websites?
That sound's more likely than firing up a web server on a kindle.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 06:36 PM   #103
Waitingforatrain
Groupie
Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Voyage
Well after some thought I think that I will order one. Am going to send them my old Kindle keyboard for $5 and 20% trade in towards another qualifying device. It has been sitting around useless so... Hoping that the Scribe qualifies for the 20%.
Waitingforatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:42 PM   #104
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
From frequently asked questions, apparently note taking will not work with magazines, newspapers, or manga. Do these use a special file type that restricts this? Is it normal for these types of devices not to work with magazines/newspapers, etc.?
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 03:04 AM   #105
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
From frequently asked questions, apparently note taking will not work with magazines, newspapers, or manga. Do these use a special file type that restricts this? Is it normal for these types of devices not to work with magazines/newspapers, etc.?
Currently e-ink Kindles use the old MOBI format for magazines and newspapers. It is possible that they do not intend to change that and that handwritten annotations require a newer file format.

Not at all definitive, but so far I have seen signs of handwritten note support only for KFX format.