Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-29-2022, 03:21 PM   #76
Dodman
Enthusiast
Dodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDodman can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Ipad, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Yes, although, as yet, send to kindle on Mac and windows has not been updated to work with epubs.

You can currently send epubs to your kindle by email, which converts them
That’s good to know - thanks!
Dodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 03:57 PM   #77
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Quote:
Yes, although, as yet, send to kindle on Mac and windows has not been updated to work with epubs.

You can currently send epubs to your kindle by email, which converts them, and also means you can bold the font, etc., things you couldn’t do with the Mobi docs. But… the author name is currently missing from them! Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

I have now ordered two Scribes, as we are each getting each other one for Christmas! I am all in!
I believe the email conversion converts the files to .mobi format and not azw.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2022, 03:58 PM   #78
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
I believe the email conversion converts the files to .mobi format and not azw.
Not any more. It converts them to azw3 now.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 03:59 PM   #79
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Not any more. It converts them to azw3 now.
Good to know.
Old 09-29-2022, 04:01 PM   #80
beninma
Enthusiast
beninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animalsbeninma is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Various Kindles, iPad
Quote:
I assume you can sideload stuff.

I'm curious what Amazon's angle is with this thing. How is this going to help them sell electronic content? Are they going to make a push into selling non-fiction titles, such as textbooks on their website as PDFs, or will there be a new large screen KFX format?
There are already lots of kindle books which don't do that well on the smaller kindles. They basically have been there since the beginning of the kindle, and pretty much every kindle since the DX has been bad at presenting these books and so this solves all those issues without having to go buy an iPad.

I have plenty of those books in my library already.

Those are also the kind of books you're most likely to take notes in.

Now there is another separate issue that amazon needs to start doing things to enforce authors/publishers to put high quality images into the kindle books, and even actually include all the images from the paper book. I just read a book that had all kinds of maps that were so low res you couldn't read them on an Oasis or Paperwhite despite the high res screen. And some of the photos were deliberately replaced with "Photo intentionally left out of electronic book, see the paper book."
beninma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2022, 04:02 PM   #81
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post
And some of the photos were deliberately replaced with "Photo intentionally left out of electronic book, see the paper book."
That's just pure spite, IMO.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 04:03 PM   #82
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post
There are already lots of kindle books which don't do that well on the smaller kindles. They basically have been there since the beginning of the kindle, and pretty much every kindle since the DX has been bad at presenting these books and so this solves all those issues without having to go buy an iPad.

I have plenty of those books in my library already.

Those are also the kind of books you're most likely to take notes in.

Now there is another separate issue that amazon needs to start doing things to enforce authors/publishers to put high quality images into the kindle books, and even actually include all the images from the paper book. I just read a book that had all kinds of maps that were so low res you couldn't read them on an Oasis or Paperwhite despite the high res screen. And some of the photos were deliberately replaced with "Photo intentionally left out of electronic book, see the paper book."
If these books didn't work well on the Kindle DX, why would they work properly on the Scribe?
Old 09-29-2022, 04:14 PM   #83
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kindle devices do not support Print Replica (PDF with Amazon's wrapper). Many textbooks use this format. It's not clear they'll add this support to Scribe, I would assume not.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 04:59 PM   #84
apastuszak
Evangelist

So Amazon has a book format called Print Replica, and their devices don't support this format?
Old 09-29-2022, 05:27 PM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Good to know.
You get KF8 with no covers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 05:52 PM   #86
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Funny how it looks exactly like Kobo Elipsa. It is only off by 1mm. I been needing 64GB but not sure I want to pay the $$. I think 64GB is $420. You cant even scribble on the page. only a post it note format. i find that a bummer. I want one anyways lol
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:27 PM   #87
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
A 45 hour ??? battery life for reading alone (no note taking) is highly tempting as well, although I assume that has been exaggerated by the marketing department.

its always false. heck I charge my Oasis weekly if not more and i hardly use it and i bought and returned many thinking it was faulty. I just noticed we can write notes on kindle app for ipad, so technically we do no need this. its still a cool device

Last edited by HLS; 09-29-2022 at 06:34 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 06:50 PM   #88
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That's just pure spite, IMO.
But it is likely spite on the part of the photographer rather than the publisher or author.

Failure to obtain ebook rights may be because of negligence, obsolete contract, publisher cheapskate, photographer greed.

What would be grating is the ebook price not reflecting that photos are missing.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 07:07 PM   #89
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
So Amazon has a book format called Print Replica, and their devices don't support this format?
Yes, for example:

https://www.amazon.com/Understanding...dp/B00BEN1I80/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 4.06.01 PM.png
Views:	145
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	196872  
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 08:19 PM   #90
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Didn't Kindles use to support .cbz files natively? No mention of that in the supported list but I wonder...
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote