Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Question Easiest way to mirror/sync library with Android device?

I'm looking for the easiest way to mirror my Calibre database to my Nexus 7 and keep it synced. In particular, if the meta data for a book in Calibre changes, I'd like that book being automatically updated on the Android device, too (the next way the device is connected, either via USB or wirelessly).

I have Calibre Companion, Moon+, and would not mind getting any other app/software that I need to achieve the above.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
I'm looking for the easiest way to mirror my Calibre database to my Nexus 7 and keep it synced. In particular, if the meta data for a book in Calibre changes, I'd like that book being automatically updated on the Android device, too (the next way the device is connected, either via USB or wirelessly).

I have Calibre Companion, Moon+, and would not mind getting any other app/software that I need to achieve the above.
With Calibre Companion you already use the easiest way to mirror calibre on your Nexus 7.

Using Calibre Companion (CC) every time you connect your device the calibre library metadata should sync (Calibre 1.3 required for some items) with CC. I have my whole library on my Nexus 7 and use the Reading List plugin to keep track of newly added books to my library and each time I connect to calibre if there are new books in the reading list they are sent to my Nexus 7 automatically.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
The way I do it is like this:

I have a folder on my NAS that I connect to as a device, from calibre. There I save the ebooks I want to have on my tablet. I have them grouped by genre in folders, using the send-to-device template, and add series names and index to the titles, using a plugboard for epubs. I only send epubs and pdfs.

The folder on the NAS is shared over wifi, so I can connect to the folder from my tablet.

On my tablet I have the app FolderSync. It is setup to sync a folder on my tablet with the folder on the NAS. The app is setup so the sync is run automatically every hour, but only if the tablet is charging. I can also run the sync manually.

My main reading app is Mantano. After a sync I have to run an import in Mantano. New books are then added to the Mantano library. Deleted books are removed. I have collections in Mantano that are based on the genres. They have to be updated as well. The collections are not needed, but I find them convenient. It is possible to browse the library in Mantano using many other methods. Series names, folders, titles, authors, tags and so on.

Unfortunately metadata for books that haven't changed filename are not automatically updated in Mantano, even if they have updated metadata and have been synced in from calibre again. To fix that I have to either manually delete the entry in Mantano and reimport the book or make sure that the changed book has a new filename. It would have been great with a refresh function in Mantano. I try to make sure that metadata is perfect for all books that I have on my tablet, so I usually don't have to manually reimport books that only have updated metadata. Sometimes when I make more general changes, like add new genres, I typically delete all books from both the NAS and the tablet and do a new send-to-device in calibre and sync the whole library. Can take a while to transfer everything and import it to Mantano.

Another option could be to use a cloud service and let the cloud service do the syncing. The cloud could replace the NAS and the sync app. But I find that my method is much faster, since I have rather slow Internet, and also not too reliable out in the woods, where I live.

I have CC as well, but don't use it. I prefer to use the GUI of Mantano to browse my library.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Thanks, gentlemen!

I hadn't known that the meta data is automatically updated when I connect wirelessly via CC. Ah, Calibre is such a wonderful piece of software! Thanks for the mention of the Reading List plugin. I shall grab that, too.

The NAS solution is quite interesting also, and something I need to look into anyway for media streaming without requiring the laptop to be running 24/7.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
I hadn't known that the meta data is automatically updated when I connect wirelessly via CC. Ah, Calibre is such a wonderful piece of software! Thanks for the mention of the Reading List plugin. I shall grab that, too.
Just so we're clear the metadata gets updated in CC not in the actual book. But what you see in CC will accurately reflect what you see in Calibre.

There is currently a bug in calibre where some custom column items do not currently update in CC when changed in calibre. The developer said that he fixed the issue in calibre and this should be updated in calibre 1.4 when it comes out Friday.

That is the great benefit of having the developer of CC also be a main developer of calibre, when he see issues in calibre that effect CC (and other devices) he has the skill to correct the issues in calibre.
Advert
Old 09-19-2013, 12:51 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

@Mivo try the SmartEject plugin. When you press it to eject your connected device it will offer to show you all of the books in your library that are not on your Device. This will help you ensure your library and device are in sync.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:07 AM   #7
Marx
Marx began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone
They is alternative for cc: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...engjea.calibre
Marx is offline   Reply With Quote