Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Post Looking for a Kobo Aura HD Alternative

After going through Kobo's customer service gauntlet with two separate defective Kobo Aura HDs, I am looking for an alternative.

For me, 7" is about the minimum size suitable for pleasant reading, so 7" to 8" would be ideal.

Backlighting and touch are also a must. Good software a great plus.

Anything that fits the bill currently on the market?
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:23 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I have no experience with the software on these, but here are some devices that come to mind. Might help you get started on your search at least...

Bookeen Cybook Ocean (8")

Onyx Boox T68 (6.8")

Onyx Boox M96 (9.7")

Pocketbook Inkpad (8")
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2015, 05:00 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A backlight means an LCD tablet. There are no backlit eInk devices, for the very simple reason that eInk screens are completely opaque.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 05:32 PM   #4
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A backlight means an LCD tablet. There are no backlit eInk devices, for the very simple reason that eInk screens are completely opaque.
Ah, of course you are right....

I meant built-in light.

Anyone with first hand-experience with the Onyx or Inkpad devices mentioned by AnemicOak?
Old 04-17-2015, 06:30 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've owned an Onyx T68. A very capable tablet, although it doesn't have the world's most accurate touchscreen (although, to be fair, neither did the Kobo H2O that I also had).
Advert
Old 04-17-2015, 07:45 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Whatever you get I do hope you take better physical care of the device. Eink screens are not as robust as other screen types, and don't always handle being in direct sun all that well either.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:15 PM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
After going through Kobo's customer service gauntlet with two separate defective Kobo Aura HDs, I am looking for an alternative.
Your Kobos weren't defective, they had their glass substrates broken. I suggest you get an LCD tablet with gorilla glass if you want something that is more likely to withstand your treatment of it, if that treatment isn't going to change. You have a huge amount of choice in your size range, with your first decision being iOS vs Android. If price is no object, I recommend an iPad Mini Retina - it's a lovely device. If budget is constrained, the choice in Android tablets goes from premium right down to really-quite-cheap, but of course quality is compromised at those lower levels (and I'm not sure if the glass has the same resistance to breakage).

Last edited by meeera; 04-17-2015 at 11:17 PM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 01:00 PM   #8
Sonist
Apeist

Thank you all. Actually, I have an iPad, but looking specifically for an ereader.

I have soured on the Kobo, so the only other (relatively) easily available 6.8" option where I am seems to be the Onyx T68.

I'd be curious to hear Harry's (or anyone else's with experience with both) take on how it compares to the Aura HD, in terms of ease of use, software and build quality.

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2015, 01:38 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Not as well constructed as the Kobo, and with an equally poor touchscreen, but if you can live with the Kobo's touchscreen you should be OK with it. Has a microSD card slot for storage. The relatively poor touchscreen is alleviated by the fact that it has physical page turn buttons.

Software-wise it's a completely generic Android 4.0 tablet, and behaves exactly as any other Android tablet does. It has the Google Play store, so you can download and install whatever apps appeal to you. There are several built-in reading apps, but I didn't find any of them to be particularly satisfactory. However, it runs Moon+ Pro (my favourite Android reading app) well, and using Calibre Companion obviously makes library management easy.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:53 PM   #10
Sonist
Apeist

Thanks for the prompt reply, Harry!

Ugh, "not as well constructed as the Kobo."

I might have to reconsider and move to a 6"

The Kindle Voyage is starting to look better and better....
Old 04-18-2015, 02:08 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm extremely happy with my Voyage. It's probably the most solidly constructed reader currently around, and Amazon have excellent replacement policies, which may be of value given that you seem to be a little hard on your devices .
Old 04-18-2015, 11:32 PM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Thanks for the prompt reply, Harry!

Ugh, "not as well constructed as the Kobo."

I might have to reconsider and move to a 6"

The Kindle Voyage is starting to look better and better....
If you buy a Voyage or any Kindle I think you should consider taking out the extended warranty, in case your device should fail at all. Then at least you know you'll get a replacement. I did with mine even though I've never had any ereader fail on me and I've had Sony, Kobo, Nook and Kindle ereaders.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote