Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-13-2024, 03:52 PM   #1
zitsky
zitsky began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature
Any uses for an original Kindle Keyboard?

I have a new Kindle Paperwhite and an original Kindle Keyboard model. I unregistered it so all I can do, I think, is download books through Calibre. Did anyone do anything interesting with these old units? Is it only good for a trade in?
zitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 05:05 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
You might want to hang on to it (and re-register), just in case DRM removal becomes more problematic in the future (e.g. if they stop supporting 'download for transfer via USB', or update DRM for that). You should always be able to download content to it (AZW/AZW3 format) and add to calibre from it, using its serial number, even if it no longer has access to Kindle Store.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2024, 09:40 PM   #3
zitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
You might want to hang on to it (and re-register), just in case DRM removal becomes more problematic in the future (e.g. if they stop supporting 'download for transfer via USB', or update DRM for that). You should always be able to download content to it (AZW/AZW3 format) and add to calibre from it, using its serial number, even if it no longer has access to Kindle Store.
Thanks. I don’t know if it’s possible to re-register. But I guess Calibre will work.
Old 01-14-2024, 03:45 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I have a new Kindle Paperwhite and an original Kindle Keyboard model. I unregistered it so all I can do, I think, is download books through Calibre. Did anyone do anything interesting with these old units? Is it only good for a trade in?
Amazon stopped support for Kindle 1 and Kindle 2 some time ago because their Whispersync network was no longer available.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...H6AASHTERXBKNV

The Kindle 3 and other non-touchscreen devices can no longer access the Kindle Store, but can still be registered and books downloaded to it over wifi from your Amazon account.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...KLRH4JSYGPLKQK

You can still read on all of them with sideloading. IMO definitely worth having an old device registered in case you ever want to download for transfer via USB for some reason.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 07:22 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
A Paperwhite will allow azw3 downloaded if registered. A K1, original Kindle, registered on its own would only allow very much inferior mobi/azw downloads.

K1 issues
  1. No embedded fonts
  2. No CSS
  3. No user fonts
  4. Poor 4 level screen only 2 greys, peak grey and nearly black as it's a very early eink type
  5. Only 1/4 G storage with an SD slot that won't do more than 32G and might only do 4G.
  6. No WiFi
  7. The Whispernet died because the Cellular is EVDO only and is gone, so only USB transfer.
  8. Battery / Cell will be end of life.
  9. Only 167 dpi

The K1, K2, DX and DXG are all mobi/azw only. Only the DXG has a reasonable screen contrast. The DX models are slow and only 150 dpi, so though hyped for PDF being 9.7″, they are very poor for that. Only the K1 has the SD Card slot. The K2 only about 1.5G free.
They all have audio (speakers and 3.5mm jack), but it's pretty useless GUI.

The K1 is useless. Museum display or recycle

The K2 & DX are almost useless. Museum display or recycle.
The DXG has a better contrast but otherwise is similar to DX. Nearly useless.

Minimum Kindle to use as an ereader is the K3, if upgraded to last FW (3.4.3).
The K3 has WiFi so Whispersync may work, 16 level 167dpi screen with decent contrast (same generation eink as DXG) and about 3G free for ebooks. Does text to speech and azw3. WiFi. Some models have cellular, but the service is gone in most places. Browser now no use.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW

Last edited by Quoth; 01-14-2024 at 07:30 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2024, 10:24 AM   #6
zitsky

Does anyone / can anyone download to a K1 through Amazon.com or am I thinking of something else? Meaning if you registered the K1 long ago before cellular died?

At least I can use Calibre with K1 right? For fun?
Old 01-14-2024, 01:03 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Does anyone / can anyone download to a K1 through Amazon.com or am I thinking of something else? Meaning if you registered the K1 long ago before cellular died?
Maybe someone does, but they'd only get the limited HTML3 and very limited fonts of prc/mobi/azw and probably only Western European text. No non-Roman/Latin support apart from a few Greek letters. No R to L support.

Quote:
At least I can use Calibre with K1 right? For fun?
Not much fun. Very grey screen, two darker greys, and a nearly black. No front light. You'll need an SD card too (maybe 2G to 4G, though maybe it works to 32G, I don't know) as it has only 250M byte storage. The battery likely on last legs. Calibre should work over USD, but if not you can use the SD Card in an adaptor on PC/Mac and connect to it with Calibre.

I've not seen the K1, but I did handle a shop demo of an older Sony with the same panel that uses. K1 was 2007. First Sony eInk in 2005. There were various LCD ereaders in late 1990s as well as PDAs for ebooks, inc two or three Sony models.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 05:09 PM   #8
zitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Maybe someone does, but they'd only get the limited HTML3 and very limited fonts of prc/mobi/azw and probably only Western European text. No non-Roman/Latin support apart from a few Greek letters. No R to L support.

Not much fun. Very grey screen, two darker greys, and a nearly black. No front light. You'll need an SD card too (maybe 2G to 4G, though maybe it works to 32G, I don't know) as it has only 250M byte storage. The battery likely on last legs. Calibre should work over USD, but if not you can use the SD Card in an adaptor on PC/Mac and connect to it with Calibre.

I've not seen the K1, but I did handle a shop demo of an older Sony with the same panel that uses. K1 was 2007. First Sony eInk in 2005. There were various LCD ereaders in late 1990s as well as PDAs for ebooks, inc two or three Sony models.
Thanks for all that! And thanks to everyone for the other posts.

I forgot how easy it might be to put books on the SD Card. I put music on mine long time ago.

I just need to check if I can still DeDRM my purchased Amazon books.

I’m surprised no one ever made a 3G emulator / interface to let the Kindle keep talking. It’s beyond my skill set.

I did see that the K1 is missing the basic USB network support.
Old 01-14-2024, 05:47 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The K1 can still be registered using its serial number and customer services, I think.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 07:13 PM   #10
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
I’m surprised no one ever made a 3G emulator / interface to let the Kindle keep talking. It’s beyond my skill set.
It's been in my "bored and have spare cash to throw away" project pile ever since the US 3G shutdown to try to see if an old Sprint Airrave could be made to bridge to a hardwired ethernet. Or, see if a modified firmware on the Kindle could use a different cellular modem or even wifi, and replace the on-board one.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 07:31 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
If it's jailbroken and an old enough usb wifi card could be found, a driver could be obtained from the matching debian release.

Years ago, someone wanted to try it with a DX, but I never saw anything about anyone trying.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 07:41 PM   #12
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I sideload series on it. The plugboards make it really easy to put large series in order to read. One kindle keyboard has series I've read previously - 87th Precinct (50+ books), Xanth (32 books), Murder She Wrote (40+), Dresden Files (17?) plus some shorter scifi series. These books come from different places so they collect very nice here.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 11:09 PM   #13
zitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The K1 can still be registered using its serial number and customer services, I think.
Thanks. I tried to do this maybe 2 years ago but couldn’t find a phone number.
Old 01-18-2024, 04:56 AM   #14
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Still have one in the drawer, keep it as an option for DRM removal and playing the Yahtzee active content occasionally.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 08:10 AM   #15
zitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Still have one in the drawer, keep it as an option for DRM removal and playing the Yahtzee active content occasionally.
Sorry. Mine is a first generation Kindle with keyboard not a Kindle Keyboard. So no games.