Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2023, 05:40 PM   #1
DashBlacK
DashBlacK began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Pro
Kindle Scribe Un-registered or without Account?

Hello,

I have a Kindle Scribe. I do not like having internet based accounts associated with my devices. Anyway, I removed my Amazon Account from the Scribe and I was unable to create any notebooks on my Scribe. Is there any way around this limitation? Would the LanguageBreak JB help with this? I do not want my notebooks to be uploaded to Amazon servers...

Thanks,

- DashBlacK
DashBlacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 08:09 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Not possible currently. If you want notebooks or annotations of PDFs without back-and-forth to someone else's server, you need something other than a Kindle.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2023, 11:39 AM   #3
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashBlacK View Post
Anyway, I removed my Amazon Account from the Scribe and I was unable to create any notebooks on my Scribe. Is there any way around this limitation?
Re-connect the Scribe to your account, then place it into airplane mode. You will be able to create and use notebooks on the Scribe.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 02:05 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
Re-connect the Scribe to your account, then place it into airplane mode. You will be able to create and use notebooks on the Scribe.
And how do you get them onto something else? Other devices with note taking create/export standard types of files that can be read via USB (PDF, HTML, text, png, docx etc depending on platform and type of notebook). Scribe needs a WiFi connection with the Mothership. No other note taking device is so dependent.
Old 11-21-2023, 04:09 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Not possible currently. If you want notebooks or annotations of PDFs without back-and-forth to someone else's server, you need something other than a Kindle.
Only because no high level developers have jumped on the low level tools that are available.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2023, 04:56 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Hence "currently".
Old 11-27-2023, 10:44 AM   #7
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
And how do you get them onto something else?
The OP didn't ask for that functionality. All they requested was a way to create notebooks on the Scribe.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 11:17 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
The OP didn't ask for that functionality. All they requested was a way to create notebooks on the Scribe.
Any notes of any kind are almost useless on any kind of device without being able to copy them. What's the point of creation if you can't copy or print? Even the Libra 2, without registration, allows digitiser pen notes to be created and saved as svg and copied via USB. I suppose if you somehow managed to create Scribe notes and annotations without registering you could use a camera or photocopier or scanner.

But without a jailbreak any Kindle is crippled if it's not registered, Scribe most of all.

Best advice is to register a Kindle, especially Scribe, rather than wait for some software that might never exist.

I'm pretty fussy and the four Kindles here are registered as are the ones I've bought and given away (reg. by the people that have them).

You'd hardly buy an Apple "iThing"* and not "register", Kindle more so.

[* They do have things without an "i" prefix]
Old 11-27-2023, 03:13 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have had no problems at all registering a Sony Reader, Kobo, Kindle, iPhone, iPad, Google Nest, Amazon Alexa, all the apps I am registered with on my TV, Windows, Overdrive, etc.

There is no need to be paranoid and not do it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 05:41 PM   #10
dave7389775
dave7389775 began at the beginning.

Device: none
lets say I create a pdf notebook on the scribe which contains ONLY my own writing -
no copy/paste from any other kindle files - and it is uploaded to the Mothership servers -

is there any way to move it out from the kindle walled garden to the internet or my desktop pc
keeping it TOTALLY free and clear of any kindle drm and have it work like any other
pdf files on my pc???

I would think this would be a very standard use case for ANY scribe-like device or at
least a very desired use case...

Can I get a list of other brands/models which CAN do this?

and finally, if my pdf does get loaded up to a kindle server does that give the Mothership
ANY rights to use the content for its own purposes?
dave7389775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 07:25 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
^dave7389775

mobileread users tomsem, jhowell, and others did some research that culminated in jhowell augmenting his KFX input plugin for calibre to convert Scribe annotations to EPUBs with one SVG image for each notebook page.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=353901

No amazon servers involved (but amazon binary executable is run locally as part of the processing).

Last edited by j.p.s; 11-27-2023 at 07:28 PM.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 12:25 AM   #12
RequisiteAngle
RequisiteAngle began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashBlacK View Post
Hello,

I have a Kindle Scribe. I do not like having internet based accounts associated with my devices. Anyway, I removed my Amazon Account from the Scribe and I was unable to create any notebooks on my Scribe. Is there any way around this limitation? Would the LanguageBreak JB help with this? I do not want my notebooks to be uploaded to Amazon servers...

Thanks,

- DashBlacK
I have a similar problem, except I am looking to bypass the initial setup which currently requires me to connect to WiFi and register with an Amazon Account: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=357560

Were you able to bypass this step, and if so, how?
RequisiteAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 07:47 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RequisiteAngle View Post
I have a similar problem, except I am looking to bypass the initial setup which currently requires me to connect to WiFi and register with an Amazon Account: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=357560

Were you able to bypass this step, and if so, how?
The poster DID register the Scribe, but then deregistered. I suggested that on your thread. But really better to send it back and get something else if you don't want it registered.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:39 PM   #14
RequisiteAngle
RequisiteAngle began at the beginning.

Quote:
The poster DID register the Scribe, but then deregistered. I suggested that on your thread. But really better to send it back and get something else if you don't want it registered.
Thank you for the help, I ended up compromising a bit on my requirements for the setup. I ended up registering it with a sufficient degree of anonymity, at least a degree that I am willing to accept for the time being. However I am facing a different problem in that the Scribe forces me to download and install a firmware upgrade right after registration, and again preventing use of the device until it is complete. I have tried interrupting the process by turning off my WiFi network, and also by restarting the kindle, but neither circumvents the update. I want to keep my current firmware because I believe it is at the maximum firmware version still compatible with the LanguageBreak jailbreak. Is there any known method to bypass this? I would like to keep the option of jailbreaking open, thanks.
RequisiteAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 01:00 AM   #15
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
You'll have to be vigilant to only turn on the wifi for a very, very, short time to do a sync and then immediately delete the partial update download, or fill the storage so that there isn't room for the update to download and keep it that way, or go ahead and do the jailbreak and then install & activate the RenameOTABin package. There's no simple way to get around the update and still use the device normally.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote