Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-23-2023, 04:59 PM   #31
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Yes, do not upgrade past 5.16.2, otherwise JB is moot
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 04:55 AM   #32
stefano.sb
Zealot
stefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Yes, do not upgrade past 5.16.2, otherwise JB is moot
Thanks, but... the question is if in my jailbroken kindle I upgrade to version 5.16.2 do I run the risk of bricking it?

Stefano
stefano.sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2023, 09:05 AM   #33
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

5.16.2? No, you will only need to reinstall hotfix from NiLuJe and then restart Kindle twice.

Anything higher than that? No, it won’t brick neither, but if you want to have JB again, you will need to emergency restore it first, then reinstall the hotfix.

On any case, if you want to keep JB, never do two firmware upgrades to 5.16.2+ OR two factory restores in a row, OR any combination of these two.
Old 12-29-2023, 06:52 AM   #34
stefano.sb
Zealot
stefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheesestefano.sb can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Nobody knows.
Hi, Some time ago after the jalbreak procedure I installed the hotfix from NiLuJe. Now I upgraded my jailbroken Kindle to 5.16.5 fw and I can confirm that the jailbreak doesn't work. When I launch KUAL I get an error "The selected application could not be started. Try again"

Now I can't re-install the hotfix from NiLuJe because when I copy the .bin file after unplug the Kindle from USB I get a message that there is a wrong update and the file is deleted....

Stefano
Old 12-29-2023, 07:27 AM   #35
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
Your reading skills don't work.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2023, 08:29 AM   #36
stefano.sb
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Your reading skills don't work.
Hi @shamanNS thank you for your useful answer . I upgraded to fw version 5.16.5 after reading all the previous posts and knowing that I would lose the jailbreak. I inserted the previous post with the intention, if it may be of use to other readers of the forum, to carry out some tests and checks, with the support of you experts, starting from my configuration.

Stefano
Old 12-29-2023, 10:20 AM   #37
mergen3107
Wizard

If you got LanguageBreak thread in Developers Corner, you will find posts on how to restore JB and then downgrade. If you still need it, that is (and didn’t do a factory reset or second upgrade after you are on 5.16.5)
Old 12-29-2023, 10:57 AM   #38
stefano.sb
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
If you got LanguageBreak thread in Developers Corner, you will find posts on how to restore JB and then downgrade. If you still need it, that is (and didn’t do a factory reset or second upgrade after you are on 5.16.5)
Thanks mergen3107. As I wrote in this post I didn't use LanguageBreak method to jailbreak my Kindle. I used the procedure described here. So I don't know if I can downgrade now.

Anyway I did the jailbreak primarialy to use LibrarianSync to export the collections json file and import it into Calibre using the Collection Manager plugin. But I never had enough time to do it :-)

Stefano
Old 12-29-2023, 11:49 AM   #39
mergen3107
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano.sb View Post
I didn't use LanguageBreak method to jailbreak my Kindle
The method doesn't matter, JB is JB

Just a suggestion (still, if you want to bring it back), if you follow instruction on how to restore ;log mrpi from here: https://tenor.com/view/math-meme-mat...2-gif-20591317

, then you follow instruction to downgrade to 5.16.2.1.1 from here (step 16): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=484

, then install the hotfix from NiLuJe.
Old 01-01-2024, 09:32 PM   #40
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
Have anyone noticed an issue with downloading cloud collections in 5.16.5?
Kindle user guide claims: "To download a collection, tap the Menu icon on the collection's cover when in Grid view, or on the right side of the screen when in List view, and then tap Add to Downloaded."
Unfortunately, at my Kindle Oasis 10th with 5.16.5 option Add to Downloaded went missing. I see Rename, Add or remove items, Add to favorites, Delete but not Add to Downloaded.
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 09:52 PM   #41
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbokJunkie View Post
Kindle user guide claims: "To download a collection, tap the Menu icon on the collection's cover when in Grid view, or on the right side of the screen when in List view, and then tap Add to Downloaded."
Unfortunately, at my Kindle Oasis 10th with 5.16.5 option Add to Downloaded went missing. I see Rename, Add or remove items, Add to favorites, Delete but not Add to Downloaded.
I do not know what they mean by 'download a collection': Collections are always 'there'. In Collections view, all collections (and the items in therm) will show provided there are no filters set that exclude all of the items in them. For example if Downloaded filter is set, you will only see Collections with Downloaded items.

Independent of this is the ability to see collections in All view Grid and List. That's determined by option in Settings > Device Options > Advanced Options > Home & Library > Collections. You can choose to show None, Only Favorites, or All. Making a Collection a Favorite has no effect unless Only Favorites option is set.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 10:15 PM   #42
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Problem is that I have 470 cloud collections and None of them on my new Kindle Oasis. Most of my cloud collections have no items in them. I just need either download several dozens empty cloud collections to my new Oasis or recreate them by hand. Unfortunately, I cannot use existing collection name, Amazon doesn't allow that.
I just need create all new collections with slightly modified names.

On my old Paperwhite option Add to Downloaded appears on tap on cloud collection name but on my new Oasis this option is missing.
Old 01-01-2024, 10:25 PM   #43
EbokJunkie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I do not know what they mean by 'download a collection': Collections are always 'there'.
No, cloud collection are not "there" on my brand new Kindle Oasis.
I have 470 cloud collections and I need to recreate dozens of them (they don't have items in them). For many years there used to exist option "Add to downloaded" on tap on the name/icon of cloud collection in all Kindle readers I had.

Now there is only one alternative: Create those collections by hand and give them names different from cloud collections names...

Might be Amazon decided to remove option "Add to downloaded" from empty cloud collections and the only way to turn them into "downloaded" is to add at least one book to each and every of the cloud collection I need to keep located on my Oasis.

Last edited by EbokJunkie; 01-01-2024 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-01-2024, 10:38 PM   #44
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Problem is that I have 470 cloud collections and None of them on my new Kindle Oasis. Most of my cloud collections have no items in them. I just need either download several dozens empty cloud collections to my new Oasis or recreate them by hand. Unfortunately, I cannot use existing collection name, Amazon doesn't allow that.
I just need create all new collections with slightly modified names.

On my old Paperwhite option Add to Downloaded appears on tap on cloud collection name but on my new Oasis this option is missing.
What do things look like with one of the Kindle apps?

I assume you created most of these using Manage Content & Devices? If you had created them on Oasis, you probably would have noticed issues long before creating 470 collections.

Also I have had Kindles take an hour or so before collection sync completed, and I only have a handful of them (but 4000+ books).

I do not know if anyone here can tell you what the practical limit is on the number of collections you can create. But even in best case, I see little benefit to having more than a handful of them.

Kindles are weak when it comes to organizing options. Ideally they would pay attention to metadata other than title/author, for genre, series, description etc. You really have to outsource this to a tool like calibre.

'Download collection' was earlier term for Favorite (I think this was before there were Collection options): it meant collections would show in Library listing along with books.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-02-2024 at 06:49 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 06:36 AM   #45
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Collections have been glitching out on me since yesterday. Specially on Amazon's website. It takes hours for changes to happen. Either renaming them or putting books inside.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote