Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-01-2024, 06:50 AM   #1
archz2
Connoisseur
archz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen) - 6", OnePlus 9RT - MoonReader Pro
Backup of highlights of sideloaded documents?

I have done highlights for for documents in azw3 format that I transferred via usb. At that time I didn't know that it could not be synced.

How can I take a backup of all such highlights so that it can also be restored later?

Is MyClippings.txt file enough in an event my kindle gets damaged/lost and I lose my highlights?
archz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 08:13 AM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
The "My Clippings" file is only a log (record) that highlights and notes have been made. Kindles only ever write to it, never read from it.

Highlights, notes, etc are stored in the .sdr directory for the book. If you want to preserve them, you need to backup the contents of the .sdr directory.

For details regarding these files. see:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=321811

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=322172
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 01:40 AM   #3
archz2
Connoisseur
archz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura aboutarchz2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The "My Clippings" file is only a log (record) that highlights and notes have been made. Kindles only ever write to it, never read from it.

Highlights, notes, etc are stored in the .sdr directory for the book. If you want to preserve them, you need to backup the contents of the .sdr directory.

For details regarding these files. see:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=321811

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=322172
I have gone through these threads. Most of them are highly technical and are using code based workflows that I unable to understand as I don't know any coding language.

If I just backup the sdr directories, I'll be good to go right?
Old 01-08-2024, 12:51 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archz2 View Post
I have gone through these threads. Most of them are highly technical and are using code based workflows that I unable to understand as I don't know any coding language.

If I just backup the sdr directories, I'll be good to go right?
Yes.

Amidst the technical detail is information on which files are needed for which formats. (You didn't say which format books you read.) Some of the files have nothing to do with highlights and notes, but backing up the entire directory is fine.
Old 01-11-2024, 02:01 AM   #5
archz2
Connoisseur

Thanks. I'll do that. I have already mentioned in the original post that the books are in azw3 format.

One more question. I don't remember which books I transfered via USB and which ones were transfered through send-to-kindle service.

I have more than 400 files for reading on my device. Not more than 10-15 of those were transfered by USB cable.

Is there a way to determine which ones were those?
Old 01-11-2024, 12:30 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

So you did. In that case, the highlight locations, note text and locations, and bookmarks are in the azw3r file.

Send to kndle might put something in the metadata. I don't know and I have never used it. Maybe the sdr directories for STK books have files in the sdr directory that books copied over USB don't have.

How did you produce your azw3 files? That might have some signature.