Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-13-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
angelaruk
angelaruk began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs505
Talking 4 September still an age away!

Hi everyone, another new UK poster here - brilliant forum for reviews, advice and thoughts which helped me decide on which reader to get - the Sony 505 which I hope will arrive at the beginning of September having pre-ordered from Waterstones.
I'm not normally girly - but it's seems a shame Sony are only shipping the silver machine to the UK - I wanted the blue one, but didn't want to take the chance of importing from the US in case there was something wrong with the product and it needed returning.
I'm really looking forward to the reader and my first 2 weeks away where I can pack some clothes in my suitcase instead of books!
Thanks for all the posts that helped me with my decision - hope you all have patience when the UK ones finally ship and we all bombard the forum with questions.

Actually, first question - if I start downloading free classics in pdf format from the various sites around, am I going to be able to load them straight on to the reader with no conversion?
angelaruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi angelaruk and welcome to the Forum. Be sure and let us know how you like your Sony once it arrives. I got one back in January and really like it a lot.

Last edited by MickeyC; 08-17-2008 at 02:33 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Greetings, angelaruk. Enjoy the forum!
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Welcome!

You might be interested in the London Meet-up.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:16 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Do look at our book upload section (-- click on ebooks on the blue bar near the top of this page). You will find a load of classics specially formatted lovingly by hand for the Reader. Choose the ones in LRF format. They will look so much better than most PDFs.

You can also get free classics in LRF from Manybooks and Munsey's.
And Feedbooks has PDFs which are specially sized for the Reader, so that you don't get eyestrain.

Here's a link to our wiki page on free books:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Free_eBooks

(There's also a link to our wiki at the very top of this page.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
angelaruk

thanks for the info Patricia - at this rate I will have a hard disk full of books waiting to upload onto the PRS 505 when it arrives - off to find some more Thomas Hardy.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:04 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaruk View Post
off to find some more Thomas Hardy.
You like the cheerful authors, then?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #8
angelaruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You like the cheerful authors, then?
Yep, and I'm hopeful of finally getting to read Victor Hugo's Les Miserables (paperback is too heavy to lug too and fro on the train!)
Old 08-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just posted a new illustrated version of "Les Miserables" for your edification .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:15 PM   #10
angelaruk

Brilliant, thanks Harry - I think I may need to hybernate for 2 weeks in the hope that the reader arrives when I wake up - I am so looking forward to starting to use it.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:21 PM   #11
angelaruk

4 September came and went and I am still reader-less. Because I ordered at Waterstones online their delivery to store option takes the same 3 - 5 working days as standard delivery to home (I didn't realise this!) I went to the store on the 4th to discover that, had I pre-ordered at the store, I would now be playing with my new shiny toy - but because I ordered online I'm not likely to see it until around Tuesday. So I'm in the middle of a major sulk!!
Old 09-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #12
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaruk View Post
4 September came and went and I am still reader-less.(
Sad news .

Hang in there , only a couple more days - it'll be worth it in the end!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote