Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-02-2022, 01:09 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Oreilly Books at eBooks.com

If anyone is interested in buying O'Reilly technical books, you might want to look at eBooks.com first. I bought "Learning Python -- 5th Edition" there. At Amazon it was $46.09 (I'm guessing .mobi format?, but it doesn't specifically say), at Barnes & Noble it was $47.99 (Nook ePub?), at Kobo it was $46.09 (ePub 3 format, DRM free). At eBooks.com it was $20.45 (DRM free ePub and PDF). It looks like most O'Reilly books are discounted on eBooks.com (it didn't mention a sale).

Last edited by rcentros; 01-02-2022 at 05:43 PM. Reason: removed redundancy
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:55 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
At Kobo.UK, it's $25.01 (with VIP membership = a 10% savings + awarded 'Super Points').

When (if?) a discount becomes available, then the price would be a bit lower.

The price you paid, however, is great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	learning-python-3.jpg
Views:	1987
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	191258  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-02-2022 at 08:58 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2022, 05:51 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
At Kobo.UK, it's $25.01 (with VIP membership = a 10% savings + awarded 'Super Points').

When (if?) a discount becomes available, then the price would be a bit lower.

The price you paid, however, is great!
I guess I should look to see how the Kobo discounts work. At one point I considered the VIP membership, might have to look into that again. O'Reilly book prices on eBooks.com must be tied to some other currency. The price went up slightly today to $20.82, so it must be a "floating" price. (?) I particularly like the fact that (with the O'Reilly books at least) you get both the DRM-free ePub and PDF. Nice to have the PDF for technical books so you can display them on your computer. You can also read your books online at eBooks.com. Does anyone know eBooks.com's history?

Last edited by rcentros; 01-02-2022 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-02-2022, 06:16 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I guess I should look to see how the Kobo discounts work. At one point I considered the VIP membership, might have to look into that again. O'Reilly book prices on eBooks.com must be tied to some other currency. The price went up slightly today to $20.82, so it must be a "floating" price. (?) I particularly like the fact that (with the O'Reilly books at least) you get both the DRM-free ePub and PDF. Nice to have the PDF for technical books so you can display them on your computer. You can also read your books online at eBooks.com. Does anyone know eBooks.com's history?

Perhaps it's based on the daily conversion rate? (I'm just guessing.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 06:58 PM   #5
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
At humblebundle.com you can snag some fantastic deals. I used to be on their email list and got a bundle of 13 python books for I think around $40. But that book wasn't wasn't part of the bundle. They were all O'Reilly books.
Code:
Thoughtful Machine Learning in Python
Web Scraping with Python
Python Data Science Handbook
Think Python
Think Bayes
Twisted Network Programming Essentials
Elegant SciPy
Test-Driven Development with Python
Natural Language Processing with Python
Introducing Python
Fluent Python
The Hitchhiker’s Guide To Python
Flask Web Development
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2022, 09:44 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
At humblebundle.com you can snag some fantastic deals. I used to be on their email list and got a bundle of 13 python books for I think around $40. But that book wasn't wasn't part of the bundle. They were all O'Reilly books.
I've gotten a couple bundles from Humble Bundle, one from No Starch Press and another from Wiley. In both cases the bundle contained one or two books that I was interested in and it was cheaper to buy the bundle than the single book. But I've never seen Lutz's books in the O'Reilly bundles.

I also picked up the Programming Python and Python Pocket Reference from eBooks.com ($22.21 and $5.11 yesterday, now a bit more -- but prices have come down a bit on these books since earlier today). So, all three (in both ePub and PDf) for the price of one at most places (unless you have the discounts at Kobo, which I don't currently have).
Old 01-03-2022, 06:34 PM   #7
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
You can read ePub files on PC as well, but I agree that PDF tends to work better. Here's a list of a few eBook readers for Windows, and some for Mac OSX/OS11 as well. Calibre's in both lists, but that's a seriously bare-bones eBook reader. I hate using it for anything beyond quick checks or short stories.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:59 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
You can read ePub files on PC as well, but I agree that PDF tends to work better. Here's a list of a few eBook readers for Windows, and some for Mac OSX/OS11 as well. Calibre's in both lists, but that's a seriously bare-bones eBook reader. I hate using it for anything beyond quick checks or short stories.
If you go to the author (Lutz's) webpages, he suggests using ePubs (instead of PDF) in Calibre for copying and pasting code. Also mentions eBooks.com...

Quote:
Update: as of early 2018, you can buy PDF and ePub versions of my books at eBooks.com—the source now recommended by my publisher's customer service.
https://learning-python.com/purchase-pointers.html
Old 01-04-2022, 03:30 PM   #9
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
If you go to the author (Lutz's) webpages, he suggests using ePubs (instead of PDF) in Calibre for copying and pasting code.
Yeah, Calibre's reader is good for copy & pasting, but it's annoying to use for reading. At least that's been my personal experience.

Does O'Reilly not make archives available with the source code in them? Other technical eBook publishers do that (like Packt Publishing), and I thought it had become standard practice.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote