Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
3G won't connect

I received a replacement Kindle3 about a month ago. It arrived registered and I was able to download books from my archive to the Kindle.

I noticed a day or two ago that the 3G wasn't connecting when I was trying to download a book. I ended up reading something that was already downloaded to my Kindle.

Then today I tried to download a new bundle I had purchased. When I turn wireless on and try to Sych and download new items, nothing happens until I eventually get a request to give a password for my neighbor's wi-fi. I am not sure why the 3G has not been able to connect the last couple days.

I went to "Manage my Kindle" thinking that maybe if I "delivered" the book bundle to my device it would some how help the 3G to work. For some unknown reason, this device was no longer listed as a "deliver to" option - it only listed my PC application.

I looked at my settings and it was still listed as registered on the device, so I typed in the serial number and it became listed again as my 2nd device (which is how it was originally registered before they shipped it to me.)

I clicked to have a book delivered to my 2nd Kindle, but 3G still didn't work.

I restarted the Kindle which didn't help at all.

I also plugged the K3 in to recharge even though the battery looked to be at least half full. I tried again after it had been plugged in for a while and it still wouldn't connect.

I am wondering:

Is it possible that it's a network problem? Any way to find out if the 3G network is down in my area? Anyone having a similar problem with 3G?

I'm also wondering if anyone else has had a device disappear from their Manage Your Devices page even though they didn't remove it? Any idea why or how that could have happened?
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
It could be a network problem. It could be a server problem. Try restarting the Kindle again. If that doesn't work, try restoring it to factory defaults. If that doesn't work, call Amazon Kindle CS....

Amazon Kindle customer service (1-866-321-8851)
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post

Then today I tried to download a new bundle I had purchased. When I turn wireless on and try to Sych and download new items, nothing happens until I eventually get a request to give a password for my neighbor's WI-fi. I am not sure why the 3G has not been able to connect the last couple days.
If your kindle was looking for 3G it would not see or ask for your neighbors wifi password.

Make sure you are not trying to connect by WiFi. and if you are, make your kindle forget the settings .

Edit: If for any reason you are out of cell range or very weak single, not sure but your unit may switch and look for WiFi ? Others can maybe help on that point.

Last edited by DustyDisks; 12-24-2011 at 09:45 PM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
I wasn't trying to connect with wi-fi. For some reason the 3G just stopped working.

I ended up talking with customer service. I restarted it again and it still didn't work. But then the CS rep deregistered the device from my account and then re-registered it. After that, I restarted it again and the 3G turned back on right away like it always used to.

I'm so glad it's back to normal. I still don't know what caused the problem.

It seems it may have been related to my K3 being deregistered from my account but not from the device. I still don't know how that happened.

I wonder if, when they were processing the defective K3 I recently returned, they accidentally de-registered my current device, and that's what messed it up.

Curious though that it didn't start working after I added it back to my account and restarted it... only when the CS rep removed it, added it back, and then the restart.

Weird.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and advice!
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote