Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-27-2024, 09:14 PM   #166
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
See DiapDealers note about known issue with dark or light posted earlier. Forcing Sigil to light on a dark theme or dark on a light theme is one of the known issues.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 09:19 PM   #167
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Ctrl+Tab must be hard wired, these are my shortcut settings:

Attachment 207875

I prefer to only have one shortcut for per action.

BR
Huh? It is registered just like all the other actions you can control with the Shortcut Manager. Could this be Windows overriding some shortcut or your special shortcut system extension?

On my mac in Sigil shortcuts I now have NextTab set to Ctrl+PageDn and PreviousTab set to Ctrl+PageUp and it works just fine in Sigil.

So something on your end must be mapping or overriding Ctrl+Tab to NextTab or its a Qt/Windows thing?

Last edited by KevinH; 04-27-2024 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:37 PM   #168
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
. . .

So something on your end must be mapping or overriding Ctrl+Tab to NextTab or its a Qt/Windows thing?
Yep

I do not have a "special short cut extension"

But I have discovered that MS Edge uses Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab to go to its Next and Previous Tab - do a search for Ctrl + Tab in ==>> List of all Windows 10 keyboard shortcuts

But I don't have Edge running. And why would Sigil inherit Edge shortcuts for its Next/Previous CV Tab? Given I just discovered I get the exactly same misbehaviour in the Calibre ebook editor CV tabbar I suspect it's Qt feature.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-28-2024 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Add quote from KH
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 10:50 PM   #169
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Edge is Chrome underneath and so is QtWebEngine so interference is possible I guess.

One question:

I just had a thought ... what happens if you both turn on focus highlighting and set environment variable to your yellow and still put BeckyEbook's qss code in your qt_styles.qss file.

The latter should be loaded after the former and so it should override things to turn highlights yellow but enabling the focus hihglighting preferences and the environment variable should enable the Preview focus highlight in yellow. Does it all look okay doing both at the same time?
Old 04-27-2024, 11:24 PM   #170
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmm ... then something is broken.

That environment variable should override all highlight colors on the widgets specified. The only widget intentionally left out is the QComboBox that gets a bit messed up when it is styled with a stylesheet on Windows and macOS - see BeckyEbook's post about the Find Replace qcomboboxes earlier in this thread.

Update:
And your yellow box in Find Replace is a QComboBox! To check out non-QCombobox focus highlighting go to Sigil Preferences and play around with the controls in some of the Preference windows.
I never understood what BekkyEbook's problem was with F&R combo boxes. I assumed that was because I use a custom Theme that labels the F&R buttons with text rather than icons - which I think I got from BekkyE.

I don't see any problems on Preferences.

With the EnvVar set to yellow and .qss yellow tweak enabled, I get yellow borders on everything. Spin controls (e.g.font size) - up/down arrow buttons work, as do the up/down keys, ditto the combo boxes, the button pops a list, the up/down arrow keys traverse the list.

Quote:
Update 2:
As for buttons and other controls on Windows, I can add them so that the override color works on them. I do that now for macOS. I just have no way to test changes on Windows so I did not add them in case they had problems similar to QComboBoxes has on Windows under light mode.

The approach used by BeckyEbook's qss just had some issues in Windows in light mode (and dark) and macOS because of Qt's idiocy. I am attempting to work around them by more selectively applying the highlight to specific widgets and then matching the system highlight color to handle the exceptions. We can certainly expand Windows to match what is done on macOS.
I'll do some tests in Light mode

And yes, I missed Diap's post about Data/Light mode.

BR
Old 04-27-2024, 11:41 PM   #171
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Edge is Chrome underneath and so is QtWebEngine so interference is possible I guess.
Yeah, that's what thought - I preferred Edge when it used its own engine (EdgeHTML)

Quote:
One question:

I just had a thought ... what happens if you both turn on focus highlighting and set environment variable to your yellow and still put BeckyEbook's qss code in your qt_styles.qss file.

The latter should be loaded after the former and so it should override things to turn highlights yellow but enabling the focus hihglighting preferences and the environment variable should enable the Preview focus highlight in yellow. Does it all look okay doing both at the same time?
A combo of this :focus {border: 1px solid yellow;} in qt_styles.qss, and this EnvVar setting SIGIL_FOCUS_HIGHLIGHT_COLOR=#FFFF00 gives me yellow borders everywhere, which for me at least is perfect… in Dark mode.

BR
Old 04-28-2024, 12:19 AM   #172
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
I never understood what BekkyEbook's problem was with F&R combo boxes. I assumed that was because I use a custom Theme that labels the F&R buttons with text rather than icons - which I think I got from BekkyE.

I don't see any problems on Preferences.

With the EnvVar set to yellow and .qss yellow tweak enabled, I get yellow borders on everything. Spin controls (e.g.font size) - up/down arrow buttons work, as do the up/down keys, ditto the combo boxes, the button pops a list, the up/down arrow keys traverse the list.

I'll do some tests in Light mode

And yes, I missed Diap's post about Data/Light mode.

BR
Light mode

I removed the yellow .qss tweak, and Env Var - and just had Highlight Widgets with Focus checked. Everything was fine, I could see what had focus. If I wanted to use Light mode I'd probably make use of the tweak and EnvVar to use a darker colour.

Preview buttons :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-28 140723.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	207886

I don't have any Custom CSS files - but why no icon - a blank space with a tooltip seems weird, and when does the text box come into play?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-28-2024 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:32 AM   #173
KevinH
Sigil Developer

That should just be a disabled (greyed out) tool button to cycle css. It is in mine. Windows is just hiding it for some reason. Are you by chance running your own custom icon theme? If not, are you running main, material, or fluent icons? One of them must be is missing that icon.

Update: I checked and legacy, fluent, material, and main icon theme sets all have that icon and all display it both when disabled (no css styles) and when enabled. So unless you are using your own custom icon theme, there should be an icon there albeit dimmed since it is disabled. There is on my machine.

The ???????? is not a text box but instead a progress bar area. When Preview is loading a very large xhtml file, its overlay "Loading ..." will show and that progress bar will show up show progress towards completion.

On faster machines or with small xhtml files, Preview will load so fast you will not see the Overlay come up or the progress bar flash from left to right.

Last edited by KevinH; 04-28-2024 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:02 PM   #174
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
That should just be a disabled (greyed out) tool button to cycle css. It is in mine. Windows is just hiding it for some reason. Are you by chance running your own custom icon theme? If not, are you running main, material, or fluent icons? One of them must be is missing that icon.
Quote:
Yes I do - one of thing it does is to monochrome the icons on those buttons - I'd rather have text labels on them too… if buttons have text labels, tooltips are usually superfluous.

Added: I happen to have another .rcc file called "material-gray.rcc" I tried it, the CSS files button is missing in it too.

Quote:
The ???????? is not a text box but instead a progress bar area. When Preview is loading a very large xhtml file, its overlay "Loading ..." will show and that progress bar will show up show progress towards completion.

On faster machines or with small xhtml files, Preview will load so fast you will not see the Overlay come up or the progress bar flash from left to right.
Ah-hah, in Light mode I noticed something flash up, which I don't notice in Dark mode, and the box itself is less distinct in Dark mode.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-28-2024 at 06:13 PM. Reason: See Added
Old 04-28-2024, 06:42 PM   #175
KevinH
Sigil Developer

You probably need to recreate your grey material icon theme .rcc but update it to use the current set of svg files used by Sigil. Try looking at master in the Sigil IconThemes repo for more info.

I have no idea how Becky added text to those buttons that could also be translated in any way.

Probably should ask BeckyEbook how to best go about recreating your custom theme with the right colour, updated svg icons and how she adds text to those buttons.

Update:

I looked at the Sigil IconThemes repository in its Releases here:

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/IconThemes/releases

And the latest release includes both the new webprinter busy/working icon, and the cycle css icon. If you are missing the cycle-css icon you are probably missing the busy-working one which came even later.

And there is a material-gray set that should be complete you can grab from there if that helps.

Last edited by KevinH; 04-28-2024 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:48 PM   #176
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Now I'm not certain BeckyEbook did create my custom theme

If I use the latest material-grey.rcc from github, the CSS Files button under Preview shows, but I lose the Text labels in F&R.

See the exchange I had with BeckyEbook on page two of this thread ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=346639&page=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
. . .

You don't see the icons in the F&R panel as a side effect – you don't have those icons in the RCC file, so Sigil displays the text instead.
On page 1 of that thread BeckyEbook provides a qss tweak to have Text labels on F&R buttons. Which works:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-29 114054.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	207901

BR
Old 04-28-2024, 09:59 PM   #177
KevinH
Sigil Developer

There you go. Grab the latet material-gray.rcc file from IconThemes and then cut and paste BeckEbook's Code from pade 1 and add it at the end of your qt_styles.qss file and you should be good to go.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:09 PM   #178
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Actually looking at the Find Replace code there is this snippet:

Code:
    // Set F&R Buttons to text-only if requested
    bool frButtonsTextOnly = settings.value("frbuttonstextonly", false).toBool();
    if (frButtonsTextOnly) {
        SetFRButtonsTextOnly();
    }
So in the Sigil ini settings there is a setting that tells Sigil to strip the icon from the FindReplace buttons. It is called "frbuttonstextonly".

There is no interface to change it but editing the Sigil v6 ini file and changing that key's value to return true should do what you want.

Last edited by KevinH; 04-28-2024 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:53 PM   #179
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
There you go. Grab the latet material-gray.rcc file from IconThemes and then cut and paste BeckEbook's Code from pade 1 and add it at the end of your qt_styles.qss file and you should be good to go.
I thought I just said that - and a screen shot to show it.

Quote:
Actually looking at the Find Replace code there is this snippet:

Code:
    // Set F&R Buttons to text-only if requested
    bool frButtonsTextOnly = settings.value("frbuttonstextonly", false).toBool();
    if (frButtonsTextOnly) {
        SetFRButtonsTextOnly();
    }
So in the Sigil ini settings there is a setting that tells Sigil to strip the icon from the FindReplace buttons. It is called "frbuttonstextonly".

There is no interface to change it but editing the Sigil v6 ini file and changing that key's value to return true should do what you want.
I added the setting manually and removed the QSS tweak, works fine. I'll continuing use the latest material-gray.rcc to get monochrome buttons under Preview.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:20 AM   #180
KevinH
Sigil Developer

So you are set then. Glad to hear it.