Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Sci-Fi book will win the May runoff?
The Steerswoman by Rosemary Kirstein 11 68.75%
The Door Into Summer by Robert A. Heinlein 7 43.75%
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley 4 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2016, 01:34 AM   #16
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The following back from Rosemary Kirstein:

Quote:
What lovely news! When I read your email, I immediately thought that it would be great fun to follow along in the discussion, and occasionally comment …

But then, I thought about it, and something occurred to me. If the book club members knew that the author was reading everything they said, would some of them feel a bit hesitant to speak honestly? Although it would be nice if everyone loved my book, I’d really like it if people also felt totally free to hate my book! And to talk about it, and get in arguments about it with each other!

I wouldn’t want my presence to have a dampening effect on the discussion. You know these people; what’s your impression on this? Do they know that you’ve asked me? Are they expressing any opinions about the possibility?

Thanks for the invitation – let me know what you (and they) think.
Based on the comments so far, I responded that I thought we could have a good discussion with her present, and that I at least was interested to have a "primary source" to discuss with. But if folks do feel that they couldn't be honest and forthright with the author listening, speak up, please.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:27 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have no problem being honest. I just grabbed the book from Overdrive and once I finish the book I am reading in a day or two, I'll start on [i]The Steerswoman[/i.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2016, 08:43 AM   #18
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm all for it. It would be an interesting experiment. We've had comments both pro and con on the works of other MobileRead authors in other threads, but I don't recall ever having an author joining for the express purpose of participating in a thread in the MobileRead Book Club.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:22 AM   #19
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Thank you, Charlie. I think this is a wonderful plan.

I'd just like to hope people will make a point of reading and showing up for the discussion. This has the potential to be a blast.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #20
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

I'd just like to hope people will make a point of reading and showing up for the discussion. This has the potential to be a blast.
I hope so too. I know I have one hard question to ask and this is a good venue for that.
Advert
Old 05-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #21
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Early on in the book club I think there was at least one author who joined the discussions, he may have been already a member but it still went well it appears.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #22
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Looks like he's been a member for a year when that discussion took place.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

I agree and I'll be there if I can. I'm away on the 19th for six days. But I should have WiFi access at night and/or late afternoon so I should be able to participate somewhat. I'll be starting the book probably Tuesday.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:42 PM   #24
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It would be good to have the discussion with the author present. It's true that I might be slightly more diplomatic with the author present, but no less honest.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:30 PM   #25
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I think that's exactly what any author would want, frankly. Honest opinions expressed without venom, and especially if backed by specifics, are actually quite helpful. Blanket "it sucked" is, however, rather useless and counter productive. But equally "it's perfect" is equally useless and counter productive, though perhaps easier on the ego.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:55 AM   #26
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Another thread where the author participated:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=103214
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:48 PM   #27
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
I'm joining the book club this month. Bought a copy of The Steerswoman and started reading it this afternoon. It had a good beginning and I have a lot of hope for it to continue to keep me engaged.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:56 AM   #28
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Welcome! As are any others, of course.

FYI, Ms. Kirstein has replied that she would be joining us for the discussion. Should be fun!

Last edited by CRussel; 05-10-2016 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:33 AM   #29
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Looking forward to it. I don't discuss much but will be interesting discussion to watch. The book itself has been very gripping so far..!
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:35 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

This is ridiculous. The Steerswoman is FANTASY and should never have been nominated let alone win. I do think there's enough time to dump it and go with The Door into Summer.

I want to know why this sort of thing is allowed.