Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #1
yamusing
Enthusiast
yamusing began at the beginning.

Device: none
hide tags, tag siblings

within the tag column when adding tags such as "apple", "orange", is there a function that automatically turns it to another tag such as "fruit"? There seems to only be a metadata of this sort only for automatic metadata grabbing.

Also is there a way to hide certain tags but keep them still there in case you want to show them again?
yamusing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:05 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Preferences->Adding books->Adding actions->Rules to filter tags
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2020, 10:36 AM   #3
yamusing
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Preferences->Adding books->Adding actions->Rules to filter tags
I'm looking for rulesets that apply constantly for already added books. When I type "apple" in the tags it converts to "fruit" for example.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There are no such things that apply constantly. There is a tag mapper you can apply in bulk to all books however. Add it to your toolbar via Preferences->Toolbars
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:49 AM   #5
yamusing
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There are no such things that apply constantly. There is a tag mapper you can apply in bulk to all books however. Add it to your toolbar via Preferences->Toolbars
thanks, is there also a way to hide certain tags as well? there's tags that I'd rather not see but want to keep just in case.
Advert
Old 07-20-2020, 12:55 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamusing View Post
thanks, is there also a way to hide certain tags as well? there's tags that I'd rather not see but want to keep just in case.
You either HAVE those tags or you do not.There is no Hide.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:35 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You either HAVE those tags or you do not.There is no Hide.
Thank you, Yoda.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 04:27 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Move the tags you don't want to see to a tags-like custom column, then hide that column in the tag browser
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:38 AM   #9
yamusing
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Move the tags you don't want to see to a tags-like custom column, then hide that column in the tag browser
how would you match those tags you want to hide easily with regex? There would be different patterns of line of tags, regex doesn't seem to work well in bulk with strings that have different patterns.

"Animal, apple, Cat, cog, color, Dog, machine, Orange"
"apple, Cat, wine, color, Dog, water, Orange"
"Blue: Dark(#6879cc), Cat, color, Dog, RPM, size, Weight:heavy"

With these strings is there somehow a way which you would you bulk capture the tags "Orange", "Cat", "Water", Weight:heavy", "color" all in one go?

Last edited by yamusing; 07-24-2020 at 03:43 AM.
Old 07-24-2020, 05:06 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
how would you match those tags you want to hide easily with regex? There would be different patterns of line of tags, regex doesn't seem to work well in bulk with strings that have different patterns.

"apple, Cat, wine, color, Dog, water, Orange"
"Blue: Dark(#6879cc), Cat, color, Dog, RPM, size, Weight:heavy"

With these strings is there somehow a way which you would you bulk capture the tags "Orange", "Cat", "Water", Weight:heavy", "color" all in one go?
Two ways to do it.

First way, and what I would do, is "mark" the tags using Manage Tags then move them using bulk S&R. By "mark" I mean add a prefix to the tags you want to move, for example !!!. Then using S&R search source field "tags" for "^!!!(.*)$" (no quotes) with a replacement of \1, destination field the new column. Next do a second pass to delete the tags from the tags column. Same source field, same search pattern, "replace with" and "destination field" are empty. I like this approach because I can in one scan through the tags manually choose the ones to move.

Second way, OK if there aren't too many of them, is to use regex alternation. Search tags for "^(Orange|Cat|Water|Weight:heavy|color)$" , replacement \1, destination field the new column. Next do a second pass to delete the tags from the tags column. Same source field, same search pattern, "replace with" and "destination field" are empty.

Note that S&R processes multiple-item fields such as tags item by item, not as a single line. The order of the items is not important. When using a destination field different from the source, S&R copies the value, which is why you need two passes.
Old 07-24-2020, 05:41 AM   #11
yamusing
Enthusiast

Quote:
Two ways to do it.

First way, and what I would do, is "mark" the tags using Manage Tags then move them using bulk S&R. By "mark" I mean add a prefix to the tags you want to move, for example !!!. Then using S&R search source field "tags" for "^!!!(.*)$" (no quotes) with a replacement of \1, destination field the new column. Next do a second pass to delete the tags from the tags column. Same source field, same search pattern, "replace with" and "destination field" are empty. I like this approach because I can in one scan through the tags manually choose the ones to move.

Second way, OK if there aren't too many of them, is to use regex alternation. Search tags for "^(Orange|Cat|Water|Weight:heavy|color)$" , replacement \1, destination field the new column. Next do a second pass to delete the tags from the tags column. Same source field, same search pattern, "replace with" and "destination field" are empty.

Note that S&R processes multiple-item fields such as tags item by item, not as a single line. The order of the items is not important. When using a destination field different from the source, S&R copies the value, which is why you need two passes.
would this way also work, move all tags to cutom tag column, then using the Tag mapper to set rules to remove specific tags?
The "Tag mapper" only applies to the inbuild "Tags" column right?
Old 07-24-2020, 05:52 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
would this way also work, move all tags to cutom tag column, then using the Tag mapper to set rules to remove specific tags?
Probably. I don't use the tag mapper. I also don't see the point unless these tags will reappear in books added in the future.

Note that you can delete tags using Manage Tags. If you used the prefix then filter by that prefix, select all the taqs, then press the delete button.
Quote:
The "Tag mapper" only applies to the inbuild "Tags" column right?
Yes.
Old 07-24-2020, 05:57 AM   #13
yamusing
Enthusiast

Quote:
Probably. I don't use the tag mapper. I also don't see the point unless these tags will reappear in books added in the future.

Note that you can delete tags using Manage Tags. If you used the prefix then filter by that prefix, select all the taqs, then press the delete button.
Yes.
where is the manage tags at? can't seem to find it
Old 07-24-2020, 06:10 AM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
where is the manage tags at? can't seem to find it
Right click on "Tags" in the tag browser then select Manage Tags
Old 07-24-2020, 06:53 AM   #15
yamusing
Enthusiast

Quote:
Right click on "Tags" in the tag browser then select Manage Tags
the first method is for first marking the tags you want to delete from the tags column but then moving those marked tags+other non-marked tags to the cutom column? from what I've tested:

marked !!! on the tags I want to keep in the Tags column
"!!!Cat, !!!Orange, Animal, apple, !!!cog, color, Dog, machine"

source: tags
search for:^!!!(.*)$
replace with:\1
destination: customtags

result:

It basically moves all the tags from Tags to Custom column but without the !!! prefix then you delete the marked tags from the Tags column? I am left with the tags I haven't marked in the primary Tags column, but those tags aren't what I want to keep unless I am doing something wrong.

Tags
tags