Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-04-2019, 11:15 AM   #31
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's like combining "Crime" and "Mystery", which are two entirely separate genres, but nonetheless virtually everyone does it.
Agreed, along with combining “Mystery” and “Horror”. A totally different reading experience.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #32
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
Nice to see a discussion in which "SF" is being used to mean Science fiction and not "SciFi" or "Speculative Fiction", which are abominations unto the Lord and the invention of the devil.

Grump on: grumble, grumble, neofans, grumble, snobbish bloody critics, grumble, Frederick Raphael, grumble grumble : Grump Off
I rather like using the term 'speculative fiction' as a catch-all for all stories where the-way-things-are has been knowingly changed or built upon. I used to call them What-If stories but 'speculative fiction' works as well.

That said I agree that it's good to know what sort of speculation is taking place. I enjoy hybrid genres but I also like to know if the book I'm considering reading is science fiction, where the change is due to SCIENCE (however fictional); fantasy ,where the change is due to MAGIC; alternative history, where the change is often attributed to chance; or some hybrid genre.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2019, 11:42 AM   #33
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Yea, generally speaking, but I actually like Glynn Stewart's Jump Mage series.

I would argue that the psi powers used by SF writers from the 30's to the 50's, including such names as Asimov, Doc Smith, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Andre Norton, and McCaffery were the functional equivalent of witches. A number of classic SF books used psi powers.
I agree. In my own cataloging many books of that nature are simply tagged as speculative fiction as I can't quite bring myself to consider psi powers when presented as some sort of innate power as even fictional science but I know that they weren't intended to be fantasy.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:52 PM   #34
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
I agree. In my own cataloging many books of that nature are simply tagged as speculative fiction as I can't quite bring myself to consider psi powers when presented as some sort of innate power as even fictional science but I know that they weren't intended to be fantasy.
That annoys me, too, when they try to make it sound "scientific" by calling it PSI. Now, if they had a plausible reason for the existence of this "power," based in physical reality, then it can be called science fiction. If there is no plausible explanation, then it's magic and fantasy. It's okay to sidestep the problem by using the term "speculative fiction." What I don't like is people assuming that science can be lumped in with fantasy.
arjaybe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:47 PM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
That annoys me, too, when they try to make it sound "scientific" by calling it PSI. Now, if they had a plausible reason for the existence of this "power," based in physical reality, then it can be called science fiction. If there is no plausible explanation, then it's magic and fantasy.
An awful lot of SF would fall into the realms of "magic and fantasy", if we were to use that definition. Any book featuring faster-than-light travel, for example. I'm not so picky, myself. I'm happy to accept as SF any technology which is consistent with the "world" of the book, rather than insisting on an explanation with is plausible by the standards of today's science.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2019, 04:11 PM   #36
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
An awful lot of SF would fall into the realms of "magic and fantasy", if we were to use that definition. Any book featuring faster-than-light travel, for example. I'm not so picky, myself. I'm happy to accept as SF any technology which is consistent with the "world" of the book, rather than insisting on an explanation with is plausible by the standards of today's science.
What about near instant travel as in Dune? Is that fantasy because the spacing guild navigators mutated and use their mind alone or science fiction because folding space at least doesn't violate FTL travel? If computers were allowed, and they used some device to fold space, does it become pure science fiction?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #37
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
What about near instant travel as in Dune? Is that fantasy because the spacing guild navigators mutated and use their mind alone or science fiction because folding space at least doesn't violate FTL travel? If computers were allowed, and they used some device to fold space, does it become pure science fiction?
When the current level of understanding of the physical world leaves us with around 85% of the universe's mass described as "dark matter" and around 25% of its energy density described as "dark energy", pretty much anything goes for me in science fiction .

(That even though my original university education was in physics)
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:02 PM   #38
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
I expect you're right. A lot of those stories were published in Fantastic magazine, weren't they? I'm not a scholar on this; when was the term "science fiction" made popular?

I would replace "plausible by the standards" with "plausible by the implications" of today's science.
arjaybe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #39
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I'm not so picky, myself. I'm happy to accept as SF any technology which is consistent with the "world" of the book, rather than insisting on an explanation with is plausible by the standards of today's science.
Sounds like my preference for fantasy. If you are going to use magic, create a set of rules and follow them. Deus ex machina generally means the author painted themselves into a corner and were too lazy to think of a good way out.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote