Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-07-2024, 07:29 PM   #1891
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Poor contrast, you say?
From me, Silver text signifies: I don't expect anything to be done about this but I'll raise it anyway.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 10:53 PM   #1892
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
- likewise posts with a proliferation of symbolic elements.

That said, without attaching some sort of 'smiley' to a phrase/sentence intended to be light-heartedly humorous it is likely to be taken seriously, or even worse cause an avalanche of faux-outrage.

Idle thought - is 'Taylor Swift' the entertainer's real name or a literary reference to Jonathan.
I tend to agree that if I find the content of a message to be visually unappealing, I am unlikely to read it.

As for Taylor Alison Swift? That's her real name.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 09:16 PM   #1893
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Windows: still can't pin shortcuts to settings URIs to the taskbar.

Here's a list of them ==>> https://4sysops.com/archives/list-of...in-windows-10/

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-09-2024 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 01:02 PM   #1894
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Another mixed result with Copilot -

what is a good chicken curry recipe that does not use coconut milk or yogurt?

It gave me 4 helpful links but I would think there should be a lot more. Way better than a conventional search that ignores my conditions though.

And

what is a good chicken curry recipe that does not use coconut milk or yogurt? No youtubes

correctly filtered those out. Potentially a big help in finding recipes without sugar or salt e.g.
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 07:24 PM   #1895
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quick Launch bar makes everything accessible at one click, including any settings shortcuts. On my Win11 VM, all I had to do to re-enable it was running Explorer Patcher. At work, I had my computer updated to Win11 today, and I doubt the IT department will allow EP installation.

Last edited by Comfy.n; 04-12-2024 at 08:12 PM.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 07:32 PM   #1896
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

At least I'm not alone in this regard:

https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys/issues/24077

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/com...e_the_classic/
Old 04-13-2024, 02:09 AM   #1897
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I usually use "hot keys" for all my usual programs.
The problem is, hot keys are offered consecutively to all top-level windows to see who handles it.
If there is a top-level window that is slow to react it will eventually timeout.
This can add seconds of delay to your hot key reaction.

With my new W11, this is pretty bad.
I'll get around to writing a program to determine which window is causing problems.
It's clear that it's some background thing.
Hot keys react immediately after a new boot, but after a minute there is delay.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 03:54 AM   #1898
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Also, rogue hotkeys.

Hotkey Explorer used to be a godsend for this; a little utility that activated every keyboard combo and then intercepted the results in order to determine where the hotkeys were being used. Unfortunately, on 10 and above, the interception part failed hard, resulting in pretty much chaos as it opens a zillion windows and activates narrator and all sorts of things (my screen somehow flipping upside-down was the cherry on top).
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 05:44 PM   #1899
Comfy.n

Quote:
Also, rogue hotkeys.

Hotkey Explorer used to be a godsend for this; a little utility that activated every keyboard combo and then intercepted the results in order to determine where the hotkeys were being used. Unfortunately, on 10 and above, the interception part failed hard, resulting in pretty much chaos as it opens a zillion windows and activates narrator and all sorts of things (my screen somehow flipping upside-down was the cherry on top).
I remember you mentioning this episode a few times and I had something like that happen the other day within Treesize, where I had 43 files selected, mostly videos. Then I somehow pressed Enter instead of Alt + Enter, to see the properties (size) of the selected files, ouch. Took me more than 10 minutes to get out of this mess, but at least the screen kept running in proper orientation, lol.

Last edited by Comfy.n; 04-14-2024 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-14-2024, 06:07 PM   #1900
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
The reasons I decided to post in Times New Roman: (1) I like the look of a serif typeface over a san serif typeface and specifically Times New Roman, (2) Times New Roman is a somewhat neutral typeface without bad connotations (I'm looking at you Comic Sans and Papyrus), and (3) it is more readable that the default typeface.
Please stop with changing the font for no good reason.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 07:16 PM   #1901
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Modem is acting up. It's still... kinda working, though. Wifi is completely out. Ethernet sort of works but slow and keeps rebooting itself.

Going to take it back to the ISP and swap it out tomorrow.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 04-15-2024 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:17 AM   #1902
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Modem is acting up. It's still... kinda working, though. Wifi is completely out. Ethernet sort of works but slow and keeps rebooting itself.

Going to take it back to the ISP and swap it out tomorrow.
The modem went completely kaput and let out its magic smoke (not even powering on) not long after I posted this. Got out to the ISP's store and swapped out new modem and is working good now.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 04-15-2024 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:35 AM   #1903
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
The modem went completely kaput and let out its magic smoke (not even powering on) not long after I posted this. Got out to the ISP's store and swapped out new modem and is working good now.
I once had a meowing modem. Yes, literally. The modem started to make meowing sounds one day. At first I thought one of my cats did it and always looked for the culprit; then I discovered it was the modem. I've never heard a household appliance or an electronic device making such a sound before or since. It was eerie. I thought that clearly I had too many cats (three, actually, at the time) and could expect my fridge or washing machine meowing next.

My ISP swapped the meowing modem out after I reported it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 08:01 PM   #1904
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Also, rogue hotkeys.

… resulting in pretty much chaos as it opens a zillion windows and activates narrator and all sorts of things (my screen somehow flipping upside-down was the cherry on top).
Something similar happened to me yesterday when annotating a full-screen screen capture, inadvertently pressed the "Make this my wallpaper" hotkey… (who knew there was such a thing in IV)

WTF!

… and then I pressed IV's "Tile the wallpaper" hotkey.

Aaaargh

Needless to say I binned those hotkeys toot-sweet.

Desktop software should default to a bare minimum of hotkeys - let the user decide which features should have a hotkey, and what key sequence they want for each.

BR
Old 04-19-2024, 03:31 AM   #1905
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I once had a meowing modem. Yes, literally. The modem started to make meowing sounds one day. At first I thought one of my cats did it and always looked for the culprit; then I discovered it was the modem. I've never heard a household appliance or an electronic device making such a sound before or since. It was eerie. I thought that clearly I had too many cats (three, actually, at the time) and could expect my fridge or washing machine meowing next.

My ISP swapped the meowing modem out after I reported it.
It sounds like the internet became self aware and decided to try and communicate with felines over humanity.
neil_swann80 is online now   Reply With Quote