Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-23-2023, 12:44 PM   #496
Ande85
Ande85 began at the beginning.

Device: Bluestacks 5
I got a three month membership going for $1, and I intend to milk it for all it's worth.

Edited.

Last edited by issybird; 12-23-2023 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Promoting dodgy practices.
Ande85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 01:08 PM   #497
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ande85 View Post
I got a three month membership going for $1, and I intend to milk it for all it's worth.
I'm sure that by that you mean reading books and returning them and allowing Amazon to access page counts so authors can be paid. Great!

And if that's not what you meant, don't talk about it here.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2023, 02:09 AM   #498
Ande85

I can't really remember what I said on the last post since it's been edited, but since it involved a link, and piecing together what I can get from context, I assume it's a big no-no on hoarding for lack of a better word. If that's not what I got my hand slapped for please let me know...Halon's razor and all that.

For now though it's just a matter of getting it into a more user friendly version to read. A .txt file that I can copy/paste into Balabolka to get my own jerry-rigged version of an audiobook *in monotone!* :P I assume talking about this is fine...as long as you go back for the page count thing I mean which I'm probably going to have to do anyways. Text is all fine and good, but those illustrations don't come with it, so I will be giving it a brief scan anyhow.
Old 12-24-2023, 07:12 AM   #499
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
whoops -- wrong tab!

Last edited by lkmiller; 12-24-2023 at 07:15 AM.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 03:13 PM   #500
MissionaryMan
MissionaryMan began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon for Android on Bluestacks
Kindle for Android on Bluestacks not working

In early November was I able to get the platform-tools installed and successfully got the adb backup to run from my Samsung tablet. Something happened, and I had to uninstall and reinstall Kindle for Android. After that, I could never get Calibre to read the backup file (of course, I had upgraded to version 7 already, just figured out that was part of the problem this week).

I have followed the directions to install Bluestacks (X and 5 come together) - the latest version. Installed the old version of Kindle for Android and was able to log in. Found the port number in the .conf file and used adb to connect just fine. When I try to run the adb backup command - it tells me to allow the backup, but nothing popped up for me to allow the backup.

Having read through much of this post, I then tried to install Nox - the 32-bit (which would not run on Windows 11), uninstalled, and then the 64-biit (which also would not run on windows 11 and I uninstalled as well).

So, I am somewhat stuck. Reading through the post, I did not find other ideas that made sense to me. I have a programming background, so technology is my thing. I use Kindle for PC for most books...but with more and more books not downloading on the older K4PC version, I have found that 99% of them successfully download on the Android version.

Would I be better off going back to the latest version of Calibre before 7? Or do you suggest something else? It feels like I am just one small step away from getting this to work. Story of life with technology, I know!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
MissionaryMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2023, 07:15 PM   #501
Ande85

Getting back on topic I managed to fix the problem I had by uninstalling Bluestacks and then reinstalling the version of Nougat 32-bit. For some weird reason uninstalling and reinstalling tends to fix a lot of problems I've been having save one...the fact I'm getting a 0KB file. It doesn't matter if it's targeting the Kindle folder or backing up all of it as the results are always the same. Am I doing anything wrong here?

Also can this be fixed by using a Kindle Fire's serial number, or does it have to be a regular eink version of it?
Old 12-24-2023, 07:40 PM   #502
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
The Fire tablets haven't been called Kindle Fire for a decade. The serial number that is used by the regular Android app is similar to the one used by actual Kindles, but the Fire tablets are different because the Kindle app is builtin to them instead of being installed separately by the user.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 01:09 AM   #503
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
A serial number for an E-ink Kindle has nothing to do with this Kindle for Android workaround.

But this method isn't necessary at the moment. Unless you enjoy the challenge or are preparing for things to break again.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 08:05 PM   #504
riverz
riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionaryMan View Post
In early November was I able to get the platform-tools installed and successfully got the adb backup to run from my Samsung tablet. Something happened, and I had to uninstall and reinstall Kindle for Android. After that, I could never get Calibre to read the backup file (of course, I had upgraded to version 7 already, just figured out that was part of the problem this week).

I have followed the directions to install Bluestacks (X and 5 come together) - the latest version. Installed the old version of Kindle for Android and was able to log in. Found the port number in the .conf file and used adb to connect just fine. When I try to run the adb backup command - it tells me to allow the backup, but nothing popped up for me to allow the backup.

Having read through much of this post, I then tried to install Nox - the 32-bit (which would not run on Windows 11), uninstalled, and then the 64-biit (which also would not run on windows 11 and I uninstalled as well).

So, I am somewhat stuck. Reading through the post, I did not find other ideas that made sense to me. I have a programming background, so technology is my thing. I use Kindle for PC for most books...but with more and more books not downloading on the older K4PC version, I have found that 99% of them successfully download on the Android version.

Would I be better off going back to the latest version of Calibre before 7? Or do you suggest something else? It feels like I am just one small step away from getting this to work. Story of life with technology, I know!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I have nox running on a windows 11 system (on a lenovo tiny pc), so nox can run on win 11. Doesn't help your problem, just saying it's not win 11 that's the issue.
riverz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 11:44 AM   #505
MissionaryMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverz View Post
I have nox running on a windows 11 system (on a lenovo tiny pc), so nox can run on win 11. Doesn't help your problem, just saying it's not win 11 that's the issue.
Good to know. I might need to try again. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2023, 02:53 PM   #506
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ande85 View Post
I can't really remember what I said on the last post since it's been edited, but since it involved a link, and piecing together what I can get from context, I assume it's a big no-no on hoarding for lack of a better word. If that's not what I got my hand slapped for please let me know...Halon's razor and all that.
I did not read your previous post, but if you meant you're stripping the DRM from KU books and then returning the originals, this means the authors won't get paid. KU authors are paid by pages read and if you return a book unread, they'll get nothing. Flipping to the end or through a book fast doesn't count, Amazon algorithms are able to detect it.

So basically stripping KU books can be considered stealing and this (like pirating) is very much frowned upon here.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 05:15 AM   #507
riverz
riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.riverz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionaryMan View Post
Good to know. I might need to try again. Thanks!
Sometimes emulators can be choosy on how they work with certain motherboards or other hardware as well. Where one emulator fails, another will work. If you can't get nox or bluestacks to work I'd keep trying with another.
Old 12-28-2023, 05:24 AM   #508
riverz

Quote:
Sometimes emulators can be choosy on how they work with certain motherboards or other hardware as well. Where one emulator fails, another will work. If you can't get nox or bluestacks to work I'd keep trying with another.
I forgot to add. It may be a good idea to do an image backup of your system if you play around a bit installing/uninstalling emulators. Set a 'base' system you can always restore to so you can always return to a clean system if something gets corrupted. I use macrium reflect and the free version is sufficient. Heaps of other backup software will do similar.
Old 12-28-2023, 01:40 PM   #509
MissionaryMan

Quote:
Will do. Thanks for the advice!
Old 12-28-2023, 01:41 PM   #510
MissionaryMan

Good thinking. Thanks!