Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 05-21-2017, 07:22 PM   #1
dmcritchie
dmcritchie began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab A
[Android] CC vs. Moon+ Reader's Net Library

Hi,

I'm a bit stumped about whether to use CC to select a book to be read with Moon+ Reader, or to use Moon+ Reader's built-in Net Library. In either case, I connect to my Calibre content server (with CC or Net Library), select a book based on metadata (Rating, Author, etc), download it, and read it in the Moon+ Reader.

The number of steps is the same, and the book selection process via metadata categories is the same.

So I'm trying to figure out what the value-added to using CC is in my case. I can see it if your preferred book reader does not have a Net Library feature, but not sure what the CC advantage is in my case.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Dennis
dmcritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:09 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcritchie View Post
So I'm trying to figure out what the value-added to using CC is in my case. I can see it if your preferred book reader does not have a Net Library feature, but not sure what the CC advantage is in my case.
The value for me is in using the wireless device driver and sending my books from Calibre to my device. I have around 400 books on my device, CC allows easy access to these books, via search or advanced sorting.

When I'm done reading I update that info in CC and the next time I connect to calibre my books read info is automatically updated.

I also like using the CC widget on my main screen so I can quickly launch my current book into Moon+ Reader with one click. I never have the content server on so using the Net Library feature in Moon+ isn't an advantage to me.

That said if you keep only a few books on your tablet at a time then maybe using the interface Moon+ has is best for you. There is a CC Demo version you can play with to see if it works for you. I believe it will also let you try out the widget. CC isn't for everyone.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2017, 12:40 AM   #3
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've a copy of all my ebooks on a SD card via CC (all 6227 of them). I make frequent use of the search functions and ability to sync reading status and date read as well as updating metadata from Calibre (I'm continually fixing errors and making refinements).

Like the previous poster I also find the CC widgets useful as well as the ability to add shortcuts for a particular book to the homes screen.

I like being able to quickly access a book to double-check something at all times and our desktop is not always accessible which is one reason why good search and
metadata is important to me.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
dmcritchie
dmcritchie began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab A
Thanks, DoctorOhh and ekbell. That is all helpful information.

For the present, I have about 350 well-organized books in Calibre, and can still easily browse them using either CC or Net Library to find what I want to read next, or to bring on a trip. So, yes, I usually keep just 20-25 books at a time on the device and Net Library works as well as CC for my purposes.

But as my books continue to grow, I may find myself needing good search/sort support on the device itself. In that case, I may need to change my workflow to be something closer to yours.

Thanks again.

Dennis
dmcritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #5
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bookeen
Being able to see your device in Calibre as a device is a big plus of CC. I think that Moon Readers access is only OPDS. CC works both ways, OPDS is one way.
loviedovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert