Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-29-2024, 02:30 PM   #106
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
For a frightening scary moment I thought you meant paper tape.

That does work for read only or erase random access with paper tape.

There was paper tape on computers (and even to send messages from keyboard 20 years earlier) from the 1940s. Machine tools still were using paper tape after floppy drives came out.

Was it a 1/2" wide magnetic tape on a reel to reel machine. For cartridges, maybe Travan was worst. No, The stringy microdrive on the Sinclair QL was worst.
I remember using paper tape to load the boot loaded for the tape that you then loaded from there.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 02:36 PM   #107
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
For a frightening scary moment I thought you meant paper tape.

That does work for read only or erase random access with paper tape.

There was paper tape on computers (and even to send messages from keyboard 20 years earlier) from the 1940s. Machine tools still were using paper tape after floppy drives came out.

Was it a 1/2" wide magnetic tape on a reel to reel machine. For cartridges, maybe Travan was worst. No, The stringy microdrive on the Sinclair QL was worst.
My first mass storage device was a TTY-33 I was given with the Data General Nova. Lubricating instructions: remove 4 parts and drop the rest of the machine into a barrel of oil for an hour, let drain, re-install parts and use.

It was an old 1/2" tape drive. A lot faster and more reliable than the Tarbell interface to a cassette tape I had been using. Sorry but at this distance in time, I can't remember who actually made the drive. I picked it up at a bankruptcy auction along with a box of tapes and used it for about 6 years before it died.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2024, 02:47 PM   #108
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because when I type remove drm with no quotes into Google, one of the top links I get is to a thread here titled How easy is it to remove DRM from an ebooks.com ePub?

The link to NoDRM is in that thread. It's in the second post as I posted it.
Yep. Then they come here looking for specific help, and we say "go here". Then they come back here with questions and we turn them away with "go back to where you downloaded them from" (or run the risk of becoming too specific for MR's rules with responses).

There is nothing easy about finding the particulars for removing drm from ebooks for free for the average person: here, there, or anywhere. Never has been; never will be. The endless comments section on a post on The DarkReverser's Blog has become the endless thread here at MobileRead, has become the endless commit log on three different github repositories. To suggest it's become "easy" is disingenuous.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 02:50 PM   #109
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yep. Then they come here looking for specific help, and we say "go here". Then they come back here with questions and we turn them away with "go back to where you downloaded them from" (or run the risk of becoming too specific for MR's rules with responses).
To be honest, I'm surprised how much the forum allows now -- years ago it feels like the topic was entirely taboo; people walk much closer to the line than they did 10+ years ago.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 05:09 PM   #110
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
This thread makes me so happy that Kobo exists so I don't have to keep track of all the Amazon DRM drama.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2024, 05:40 PM   #111
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
This thread makes me so happy that Kobo exists so I don't have to keep track of all the Amazon DRM drama.
I gave up on Kindle entirely, tbh. I see "Kindle Unlimited" on a Goodreads page and immediately click out. (Also, Goodreads is basically just an Amazon advertising platform at this point - why else would they have removed the Kobo Books links after being bought out?)
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 06:03 PM   #112
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Just a minor correction - it doesn't have to be an old Kindle. ANY eink Kindle is suitable for this, even the most recent.
I haven't found that to be true. For me, I have to use the first kindle paper white I bought and long since have given it to my daughter. My new one didn't work. Now, perhaps it's supposed to and I just FUBAR'd it when I tried, but going back to the older kindle worked and who knows why I, the same person, got one working and the other not.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 06:06 PM   #113
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
[*]Compared to writing and compiling my old BIOS ROMs for CP/M, installing and using DeDRM is a lot easier. You want fun, try dealing with booting from a tape drive with a 2048 byte ROM while handling all the other needed tasks needed to fake a disk drive to allow running CP/M from a tape drive. When I switched to using PC clones, I also implemented using a tape drive as a random access device. Years later, LTO came along.[/list]
Yep. I do a lot of hard technical stuff. But nobody says "oh, that's easy". But so many here are constitutionally married to "it's easy" when I KNOW it's not.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:07 PM   #114
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
There is nothing easy about finding the particulars for removing drm from ebooks for free for the average person: here, there, or anywhere. Never has been; never will be. The endless comments section on a post on The DarkReverser's Blog has become the endless thread here at MobileRead, has become the endless commit log on three different github repositories. To suggest it's become "easy" is disingenuous.
<standing ovation>!
Old 03-29-2024, 06:23 PM   #115
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I haven't found that to be true. For me, I have to use the first kindle paper white I bought and long since have given it to my daughter. My new one didn't work. Now, perhaps it's supposed to and I just FUBAR'd it when I tried, but going back to the older kindle worked and who knows why I, the same person, got one working and the other not.
Which Kindle was the new one that didn't work? My Oasis 3 from 2019 worked.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 06:24 PM   #116
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I still buy occasional exclusives from Amazon, although I haven't used a Kindle for more than 2 years.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 01:17 AM   #117
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
I have never had download and transfer NOT work for newer Kindles unless it was one of the few restricted books, like a textbook.
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 07:46 AM   #118
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
It has to be registered to the account you are downloading from AND the ID (serial number) copied & pasted from "My Devices" into the plugin. Reading it off the device is error prone.

Never had any difficulty.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 07:24 PM   #119
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
It has to be registered to the account you are downloading from AND the ID (serial number) copied & pasted from "My Devices" into the plugin. Reading it off the device is error prone.

Never had any difficulty.
It could very well have been user error. Which is easy given the state of the documentation.
Old 03-31-2024, 07:12 AM   #120
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
It could very well have been user error. Which is easy given the state of the documentation.
I just got a Paperwhite 3, followed Quoth's documentation above, and was able to remove DRM from a Amazon First Reads ebook (I assume it had DRM).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote