Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-11-2024, 01:37 AM   #16
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
folks that can't read comfortably on a tablet have my sympathies.
Folks who can't refrain from being patronising for no reason on a topic they have no interest in have mine.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 04:30 AM   #17
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
So now that PocketBook, Kobo and Tolino have color eReaders, the question is when (or if) Amazon will come out with one or more.
I do hope so, even though I bought my PW SE 32GB last year. I have three Kobo e-readers as well but my current preference is reading on my kindle.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2024, 05:40 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I do hope so, even though I bought my PW SE 32GB last year. I have three Kobo e-readers as well but my current preference is reading on my kindle.
You have my condolences.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 08:19 AM   #19
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I have to admit that color on a ereader might be nice. However, I have 4 working readers now (2 Kindles, 2 Nooks)so I have no intention of purchasing another reader anytime soon. I will say that if Amazon doesn't put out another reader with page turn buttons, I won't be buying a Kindle even if it were color.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 12:59 PM   #20
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Even though I don't really need it, I'm considering taking a punt on the Libra Colour as I have various graphic novels and comics (mostly PDF), and various large side-loaded PDFs I ought to read and annotate. Weight-wise, the Libra is on a par with my Forma.

It's a way to dipping a toe in the note-taking ecosystem which I've been considering for a while. The prices are pretty good going (apart from the stylus); otherwise I'd want to hold off until they get a 8"+ colour reader (which may never happen).

My only quibble is that the colours still look mildly washed-out which for comics and graphic novels still isn't very good; it's OK for when the graphics aren't the story, just as a side note. It might be a fault of the web-graphics display.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2024, 02:52 PM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
I'm considering taking a punt on the Libra Colour as I have various graphic novels and comics (mostly PDF), and various large side-loaded PDFs I ought to read and annotate...

My only quibble is that the colours still look mildly washed-out which for comics and graphic novels still isn't very good...
Why not just get a tablet? That's what I do for comics.

Aside from screen size, Kobo isn't great with PDFs.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 04:48 PM   #22
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Why not just get a tablet? That's what I do for comics.

Aside from screen size, Kobo isn't great with PDFs.
I already have an iPad Air 3rd Gen, which is fine for the comics I purchased on Amazon or PDFs in iCloud. It's the PDFs and comics I purchased from other stores that are the issue. The main issue with the iPad is the weight; I can't hold it for more than 15 minutes or so when reading, whereas my Forma I can hold for an hour or more.

Being able to annotate and read off-line is the requirement for PDFs; I have many RPGs in PDF. (I also read statutory guidance in PDF and need to annotate that.)
Old 04-11-2024, 05:33 PM   #23
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
I already have an iPad Air 3rd Gen, which is fine for the comics I purchased on Amazon or PDFs in iCloud. It's the PDFs and comics I purchased from other stores that are the issue. The main issue with the iPad is the weight; I can't hold it for more than 15 minutes or so when reading, whereas my Forma I can hold for an hour or more.

Being able to annotate and read off-line is the requirement for PDFs; I have many RPGs in PDF. (I also read statutory guidance in PDF and need to annotate that.)
Like my ebooks, I download and backup all my comics and read them off-line on my tablet.

But I'm not familiar with the weight of a Forma vs. the weight of an iPad.
Old 04-11-2024, 05:35 PM   #24
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
I don't know wether the guy of the "Good Ereader website" is a good fortune teller or not, he foresees new kindle colored display next year.
I don't think Bezos would like to be left behind
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 05:52 PM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Eyre View Post
I don't know wether the guy of the "Good Ereader website" is a good fortune teller or not...
They predicted a Voyage 2 for years. it would be released on Mother's Day. That is why Mother's Day is a punchline around here.

Quote:
...he foresees new kindle colored display next year.
You don't exactly have to be Carnac the Magnificent to predict that.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:50 PM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Eyre View Post
I don't know wether the guy of the "Good Ereader website" is a good fortune teller or not, he foresees new kindle colored display next year.
I don't think Bezos would like to be left behind
Quite a few posters on this site refer to them as Bad Ereader due to several times where they have lifted text and images from posts here without giving any credit.

Not to mention that he repeated a claim that the new Kindle will have an ACeP display. Currently ACeP/Gallery 3 display have 65K colours at 300 DPI compared to the 4K colours at 150DPI of Kaleido 3 displays. The issue comes from Kaleido 3 being able to refresh at about 12FPS while Gallery 3 has a 350ms B&W refresh rate (~3FPS) with colour ranging from fast at 500ms (~2FPS), normal at 750-1000ms (1.2FPS) and best colour mode at 1500ms (0.68FPS).

If you ever look at the structure of the Gallery 3 microcups with 4 colours of ink particles, you can see why it can get slow moving those particles around.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-11-2024 at 06:59 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 08:23 PM   #27
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Somebody posted this video in the other thread that demonstrates the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qIHCUWAgh4
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 05:05 AM   #28
maddz
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
But I'm not familiar with the weight of a Forma vs. the weight of an iPad.
The Forma is 197g, it doesn't have a case or cover; I transport it in a padded bag. The iPad is 710g, it has a silicon back, smart cover and rotating hand strap. So, the iPad is more than 3 times the weight. I can assure you my wrists notice the difference very quickly (let alone my shoulders when I go into the office with the iPad in my satchel).

When I lost the hand strap when turning out the sitting room last month, my wrists were in trouble when I was using the iPad. (The hand strap allows me to hold the iPad on my flat hand safely - I'd be in danger of dropping it otherwise.)

The 7" Libra Colour is 199g without cover or case, so it matches my 8" Forma. I'd probably want a case with it to store the stylus which will add some weight; not sure how much additional weight - it's not on Kobo.
Old 04-12-2024, 08:18 AM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Quite a few posters on this site refer to them as Bad Ereader due to several times where they have lifted text and images from posts here without giving any credit.
Yes, I noticed I posted here on April 7 about the Kobo/Walmart partnership dissolving and mentioned I could not find any news articles anywhere. Just a pop-up when logging in to Kobo on a new browser.

And what do you know? On April 8, GoodeReader had: Has the Walmart and Kobo partnership ended?

No mention of what made them ponder this.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:27 AM   #30
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Folks who can't refrain from being patronising for no reason on a topic they have no interest in have mine.
There was a reason and patronizing is in the eye of the beholder.

You may not remember the "LCD's will kill your eyes" nonsense debates of the past. Nor the "most folks are going to read their ebooks on phones and tablets" debates of the past.

Or how MANY times "color eInk is going to be here real soon now" debates.

But I do.

And now, after all this time - we get a decently made device by a major vendor - and I'm truly happy for those who COULD NOT stand a tablet because it really did hurt THEIR eyes.

They have my sympathies for having this condition, and at least now they can have washed out, 16 levels of grey, 4096 color reading.

Meanwhile, the masses have been enjoying full color reading, video, etc. on their tablets and phones. There never was a problem for the eyes of the vast majority.

So, now it's finally here. And for those whom this very poor level of color is all they get in a format suitable for there eyes - I do have sympathy for them.

Kind of like how I'm one of those people that gets sick playing modern video games. Poor me. The games look so fun to play, but I get quite ill with motion sickness. So, I'm excluded from something that most people have no problem with.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote