Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-15-2024, 09:55 AM   #31
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaby View Post
Yes!!! Companies just give up way too soon. And then they don’t even do all things necessary to give the product a real shot!

t.
5 inventory turns per year or you are outta here.
Quick money fads seems to be where it is at. Corporate, rather than Local control of stocked items (there are 10 items in a system, they stock only the most frequently used 5. Or the brand you liked and wanted more to match, is no longer carried AT ALL)

Funny, I was just looking at the history of a store my Grandpa founded in a small town over 100 years ago. It is still open. AND it is the only one that has been there that long in the same family (3 generations).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 03:56 PM   #32
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Yes!!! Companies just give up way too soon. And then they don’t even do all things necessary to give the product a real shot!
I'm going through that with Google Podcasts right now. They want users to move to YouTube Music instead. But why not wait until all (or at least most) features are in the replacement app before dumping the existing one?

Quote:
They never came to my store either. I don’t think they came to any store in my area and I was shocked by that because one of the bigger stores in my area is in a college town. I was highly disappointed. I’m almost certain I’d have bought one if they had made them available. This what I meant when I said companies don’t do all the necessary things to give a product a fair shot.
I can say I've never seen a Kobo in a Walmart and I live in a swanky upscale suburb where they would likely do well.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2024, 03:58 PM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
5 inventory turns per year or you are outta here.
Quick money fads seems to be where it is at.
Which is never going to make you a competitor to Amazon.
Old 04-15-2024, 04:54 PM   #34
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I can say I've never seen a Kobo in a Walmart and I live in a swanky upscale suburb where they would likely do well.
I feel like that was almost antithetical to the point of "Walmart ebooks", though? They were going to bring ebooks to the working class! Free of the tyranny of those coastal elites from Amazon!

Nevermind that Kobo was the technically superior device. The whole point was to hide the Kobo branding, anyway.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 05:04 PM   #35
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Hide Branding???
Mine say KOBO on the device. They did change the splash screen (shows less than 30 seconds on power up)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2024, 05:22 PM   #36
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Hide Branding???
Mine say KOBO on the device. They did change the splash screen (shows less than 30 seconds on power up)
Notice the branding whenever Wal-Mart referred to them:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Walmart-e...2?from=/search

They're not Kobo gift cards, they're "Walmart eBook (by Rakuten Kobo)" eGift cards. In addition to the physical devices, I think they were really pushing the app as something you could read on whatever smart device (Android/iOS) that you already had, not just on the physical e-readers.
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 09:40 PM   #37
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I saw them in two Walmart stores. One in North Richland Hills, TX and one in Nampa, ID. (I took pictures of the Kobos in North Richland Hills, BadeReader made use of them.) In Nampa they sold out the last of their Aura (second editions) for $15 each when they were clearing them out. Cases went for $5 each. That's the last I've seen of Kobos in B&M stores. Best Buy used to sell them in store. (They also used to have Nooks.) Now it's just Kindle, but I think they sell space to Amazon these days.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 08:13 AM   #38
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I live in a swanky upscale suburb
Well, la-de-da.

I haven't seen a Kobo ereader in the couple of Walmarts around by me. They are not swanky.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 06:03 PM   #39
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:

They never came to my store either. I don’t think they came to any store in my area and I was shocked by that because one of the bigger stores in my area is in a college town. I was highly disappointed. I’m almost certain I’d have bought one if they had made them available. This what I meant when I said companies don’t do all the necessary things to give a product a fair shot.
Welcome to corporate America. It's all about short term consistent upward growth chasing an ever higher stock price. If that isn't met within their limited amount of time, whatever is not performing promptly gets dumped! That includes employees as well!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 07:44 PM   #40
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
I feel like that was almost antithetical to the point of "Walmart ebooks", though? They were going to bring ebooks to the working class! Free of the tyranny of those coastal elites from Amazon!
I never saw them in the yucky Walmarts either.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:46 PM   #41
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Well, la-de-da.

I haven't seen a Kobo ereader in the couple of Walmarts around by me. They are not swanky.
Point is, it's an area where a soccer mom wouldn't mind plunking down $150 on a device she has never heard of and knows nothing about. Seems like it would be a good place to introduce Kobos.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:54 PM   #42
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:

At least your Walmart had Kobos on display. Ours never did.
Mine either. I really think it was a limited rollout and that they didn't put my effort. We have a large electronics section but we never got Kobos here.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 08:55 PM   #43
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
One thing I wish Google and other companies would learn from Apple is not to quit so quickly on something. I do think Kobo could have caught on it the had set up small displays in the book section rather than with the tablets and laptops (and if they did it in more stores).

I remember Vudu. I thought it was someone to do with Hulu.

Vudu may still be around? I remember my father-in-law telling me something about they buy a Blu Ray they get some code and it adds it to their Vudu account. That was a year or two ago, I think. Looks like it's been renamed Fandango at Home.
Vudu is still big and I use it - it changes ownership randomly.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 04:38 AM   #44
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
One thing I wish Google and other companies would learn from Apple is not to quit so quickly on something. .
Apple?
They bring out products when others have proved there is a market.
MP3 player
Phone
Tablet
Watch
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 06:51 AM   #45
ChrisHistorian76
Enthusiast
ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova Air & Kindle Oasis
IMO it's rather "nteresting" that only Good e-Reader has claimed the Rakuten partnership with Walmatrt has ended. Their post claims that they've contacted Rakuten Kobo for comment and would update the post. Nine days later, they haven't done so.

https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...tnership-ended
ChrisHistorian76 is offline   Reply With Quote