Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-15-2024, 01:47 PM   #31
Cactus Chef
Addict
Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cactus Chef ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD, Galaxy Tab S5e, Kindle 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrhup View Post
This change had nothing to do with ad revenue. It was done because too many bots were hitting my site, at far too fast a rate, and it was causing things to run unacceptably slow. At times, the bots were so aggressive that they took down the entire site.

I noticed this happening more-and-more, so my best option was to prevent anonymous users from running filters, which can be very database intensive on my site.

I have never sold any email addresses from this site, and have no intentions of ever doing so.
Hello, Christian! Thank-you for responding to my thread. I appreciate the explanation.

Regarding the bot usage, were you seeing a sudden ramp-up in the past few weeks from a handful of bad actors? Or was this just ambient creep over time that finally hit a breaking point?
Cactus Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 05:06 PM   #32
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thank you for offering us such an amazing resource for tracking e-book sales.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 06:13 PM   #33
chrhup
chrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoonchrhup knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Chef View Post
Hello, Christian! Thank-you for responding to my thread. I appreciate the explanation.

Regarding the bot usage, were you seeing a sudden ramp-up in the past few weeks from a handful of bad actors? Or was this just ambient creep over time that finally hit a breaking point?
Bots have always been a problem, and I have spent many hours through the years trying to mitigate the issue. In recent weeks, it has gotten to a point where I can no longer keep up.
chrhup is offline   Reply With Quote