Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-19-2024, 03:38 AM   #136
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
@BeckyEbook - I think that takes care of your bug list related to tab to shift focus so far.
Please let me know if you run into any new places that break tab to shift focus.
This is probably the last place: Index Editor.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 08:38 AM   #137
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbiker View Post
Just fyi, tried to build from Master just now, and getting the following make error (POP_OS, like Ubuntu 22.04):
Yes, I used a too new routine. Just checked and there is a isValidColor that works in earlier versions. I will ifdef that in.

Thanks!

Last edited by KevinH; 04-19-2024 at 02:42 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 08:39 AM   #138
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
This is probably the last place: Index Editor.
Is it another widget the captures focus or is the order wrong?

I tried it and I was able to tab between the Filter, the Table of Index Entries, the AddEntry button and Save button in a cycle.

Does that work for you?

Last edited by KevinH; 04-19-2024 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:01 AM   #139
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Just fyi, tried to build from Master just now, and getting the following make error (POP_OS, like Ubuntu 22.04):
I just pushed a fix for this to master.

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2024, 10:14 AM   #140
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ad Index Editor.
You are right. Once all the index items have passed, the focus jumps off the table, so all is well here.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:17 AM   #141
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Ad Index Editor.
You are right. Once all the index items have passed, the focus jumps off the table, so all is well here.
Great! Thanks for all your help tracking down these bugs.

I think Tab to shift focus is in pretty good shape now.
Old 04-19-2024, 12:42 PM   #142
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Okay, I did notice one thing on macOS.

The highlight we add for CodeView can never seem to get larger that 1px even if we change the qss border style but the natural highlights generated by macOS seem to be about 3 pixels or more wide.

So can everyone see the 1px solid highlight properly on their platforms? Does it match the highlight width used on QComboBoxes (see FindReplace) generated by your system style?

Would it be better to change the Sigil generated highlight from 1px to 3px and make the associated padding-top, padding-bottom, ... changes to give Sigil enough room to draw the border properly?

@Doitsu, @BeckyEbook, @DiapDealer, @retiredbiker, @BetterRed?

Thoughts?
Old 04-19-2024, 01:52 PM   #143
BeckyEbook
Guru

I have the impression that on most widgets the default focus is 1px. But, for example, when you open the Preferences window, the OK button might have a 1px or with focus a 2px border.

EDIT: Presumably hover and focus+hover has a 1px border. The focus on the button itself may have a 2px.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sigil-2px-focus.png
Views:	10
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	207718  
Attached Images

Last edited by BeckyEbook; 04-19-2024 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-19-2024, 01:56 PM   #144
BeckyEbook
Guru

@DiapDealer: By the way, I think I see a problem with the recent commits regarding the inclusion of stylling when the wider cursor option is enabled.

Can't switch to a light theme by using an environment variable.
Old 04-19-2024, 02:48 PM   #145
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
I have the impression that on most widgets the default focus is 1px. But, for example, when you open the Preferences window, the OK button might have a 1px or with focus a 2px border.

EDIT: Presumably hover and focus+hover has a 1px border. The focus on the button itself may have a 2px.
Thanks.

So I will leave Windows focus border as is.

On macOS, I will use a 3px border.

if not mac and not windows (Linux) yet to be determined.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:47 PM   #146
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Okay, I did notice one thing on macOS.

The highlight we add for CodeView can never seem to get larger that 1px even if we change the qss border style but the natural highlights generated by macOS seem to be about 3 pixels or more wide.

So can everyone see the 1px solid highlight properly on their platforms? Does it match the highlight width used on QComboBoxes (see FindReplace) generated by your system style?

Would it be better to change the Sigil generated highlight from 1px to 3px and make the associated padding-top, padding-bottom, ... changes to give Sigil enough room to draw the border properly?

@Doitsu, @BeckyEbook, @DiapDealer, @retiredbiker, @BetterRed?

Thoughts?
So I've tried looking at various widgets with the highlight focus turned on and off, and frankly I can hardly see any difference on my pop_os machine.

The double width cursor in the code view does work perfectly, very nice!

Here are various shots of things with focus highlight turned on and off. The most visible highlighting, to my old eyes, is the file tabs at the top of the code view window. The file names on hover will tell you if the focus highlight is on or off.

Let me know if there is some specific spot you'd like me to look at...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 focus-prefs.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	207719   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 focus 0ff-prefs.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	207720   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 focus-plugin7.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	207721   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 focus 0ff-plugin 7.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	207722   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 focus-all html files.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	207723   Click image for larger version

Name:	6 focus off-all html files.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	207724   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 focus-chapter7.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	207725  

Last edited by retiredbiker; 04-19-2024 at 07:49 PM.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 08:12 PM   #147
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
So I've tried looking at various widgets with the highlight focus turned on and off, and frankly I can hardly see any difference on my pop_os machine.

The double width cursor in the code view does work perfectly, very nice!

Here are various shots of things with focus highlight turned on and off. The most visible highlighting, to my old eyes, is the file tabs at the top of the code view window. The file names on hover will tell you if the focus highlight is on or off.

Let me know if there is some specific spot you'd like me to look at...

Great! What about the focus highlight size for Preview, CodeView, BookBrowser, etc. Do they look like a good width or should they be wider?
Old 04-19-2024, 08:49 PM   #148
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Everything looks good in Preview and CodeView. In BookBrowser there doesn't seem anything to focus on? Tab and hover have no effect, tried it both docked and undocked. When it is docked, tabbing just goes into CodeView, and if floating tabbing does nothing at all that I can see.

To try and see what is supposed to be different, I tried changing the color with
Code:
$ export SIGIL_FOCUS_HIGHLIGHT_COLOR="#FF4D00"
If I understand right that should turn the highlight orange, but I can't get it to work. Er...that is an environment variable?
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 10:45 AM   #149
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Using my Manjaro Linux KDE desktop as a test case, it seems on Linux all of the buttons, controls, lineedits, and comboboxes are all properly highlighted natively (so no need to add our highlighting to them). Only the major widgets/ qdockwidgets contents need to have focus highlights added to them.

I have now pushed this to master.

Last edited by KevinH; 04-21-2024 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:53 AM   #150
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Everything looks good in Preview and CodeView. In BookBrowser there doesn't seem anything to focus on? Tab and hover have no effect, tried it both docked and undocked. When it is docked, tabbing just goes into CodeView, and if floating tabbing does nothing at all that I can see.

To try and see what is supposed to be different, I tried changing the color with
Code:
$ export SIGIL_FOCUS_HIGHLIGHT_COLOR="#FF4D00"
If I understand right that should turn the highlight orange, but I can't get it to work. Er...that is an environment variable?
That should have worked. My guess is you have either not turned on the Sigil focus highlighting in Sigil Preferences Appearances MainUI or not restarted after it.

The reason it is hard to tell is that on Linux most of the focus highlighting is done natively by your desktop. Sigil will not try to overwrite it with your own. You control that in your Desktop Settings. All Sigil can control is the color of the highlights it adds. These include around the border of each of the major QDockWidgets. Those are the only highlight colors that Sigil can control.

So on Linux to completely change all focus highlighting, you would need to change both the Sigil highlight color with an environment variable and then make sure you have used your own Desktop settings to set the proper color for its built-in highlighting.

By default, Sigil will look at your native highlight color and choose the match it unless you use the environment variable. So on Linux, the changing the system desktop highlighting color should be enough to change all (no need for the environment variable). On platforms like MacOS that has very little native highlighting, the environment variable is a useful way of fine tuning the color.