Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-20-2016, 03:38 PM   #136
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
when is kindle audio adapter( with without kindle )coming to uk

any ideas when i can buy it in uk
really need this and i cant see it on amazon uk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AS6HK7G/

No doubt something analogous is coming to Oasis, perhaps via Bluetooth for the audio feedback.
sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:44 PM   #137
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You could always buy a USB cable and adapter separately, as described elsewhere.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2016, 05:18 PM   #138
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
But remember you still have to have a PW3 (or perhaps a Voyage or Oasis, we think).

edit: oh, I see elsewhere that you are buying an Oasis. We think that should work. So, good! By the time it arrives, people here will be able to point you to cheap parts you can buy for this audio thingy.

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 05-20-2016 at 05:22 PM.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:11 PM   #139
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
I finally got it working on my Paperwhite 3. Navigation is kind of irritating, but I think I could get used to it. TTS works pretty good, sounds good. My major issue is that every time it changes pages it makes a tinkling sound which I know is going to drive me crazy. I can't find any way to turn it off.
I think for the blind this is going to be great. For those like me who just like TTS we are probably going to be much happier using pretty much anything else like Google Books, Fbreader with TTS, Moon+, etc., on a phone or tablet.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:15 PM   #140
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Ah, then .... one would set it to the smallest font possible, so that it doesn't change pages very often? Seems counter-intuitive, if one is vision impaired and trying to follow along!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2016, 04:18 PM   #141
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Ah, then .... one would set it to the smallest font possible, so that it doesn't change pages very often? Seems counter-intuitive, if one is vision impaired and trying to follow along!
That seems the only solution. But it will still tinkle
Old 05-31-2016, 04:24 PM   #142
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have a look on the Kindle and see if you can find where the sound file is and if you can, replace it with a sound file that plays no sound.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:11 PM   #143
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan46 View Post
I finally got it working on my Paperwhite 3. Navigation is kind of irritating, but I think I could get used to it. TTS works pretty good, sounds good. My major issue is that every time it changes pages it makes a tinkling sound which I know is going to drive me crazy. I can't find any way to turn it off.
I think for the blind this is going to be great. For those like me who just like TTS we are probably going to be much happier using pretty much anything else like Google Books, Fbreader with TTS, Moon+, etc., on a phone or tablet.
Do you have any idea if the voice is an Ivona voice and which one?
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #144
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You could always buy a USB cable and adapter separately, as described elsewhere.
I've been trying to work out what I'll need. I can find usb to audio adapters on both Amazon and eBay but I can't work out (or find) a usb to micro usb connector. I assume that the other bit I need as all the usb to audio connectors I've seen are full size USB.

I have noticed on Amazon.com that the official adapter can be shipped to the UK.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:23 AM   #145
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I've been trying to work out what I'll need. I can find usb to audio adapters on both Amazon and eBay but I can't work out (or find) a usb to micro usb connector. I assume that the other bit I need as all the usb to audio connectors I've seen are full size USB.

I have noticed on Amazon.com that the official adapter can be shipped to the UK.
You need a "USB OTG" adapter, such as this one.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:48 AM   #146
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You need a "USB OTG" adapter, such as this one.
Harry thank you. Am I correct in thinking I would then need one of these to connect it to my headphones?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Ext...+audio+adapter
Old 06-11-2016, 09:57 AM   #147
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, that looks right.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:33 AM   #148
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, that looks right.
Thank you.

I am off on my hols tomorrow but have saved both items in my wish list. I am looking forward to trying this when I get back. The official Amazon adapter which costs $19.99 priced at over £29 to be shipped to the UK which makes those two adapters very appealing.

I read mainly personal docs and I can get text to speech on all of them. I bought a Kindle Fire HD6 for text to speech but I don't use it as I don't want to muck around with two devices, the adapters seem a much better idea and (if they work) they can easily be carried in my handbag with my Kindle. I have a PW3 which is to be sold but I'll try this first.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:34 AM   #149
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It'll work on your Voyage, too.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:55 AM   #150
Conan46
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Do you have any idea if the voice is an Ivona voice and which one?
Not 100% sure, but the voice quality was good. I generally use Ivona UK Amy, but the default on this was American. Not sure if the voices can be changed.