Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-30-2020, 04:40 PM   #1
baljo
Connoisseur
baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Sony Reader PRS-650, GoodEReader 13.3", Onyx Boox Max2
Export PDF-annotations from Max2

I've searched this forum and the web, (and tried on my Max2) but not found a solution for this use case where I need to study a lot of PDF-material for university entrance exams:

1. I have a few PDF-files on my Max2, in total several hundreds of pages, mainly text.
2. I want to highlight selected keywords.
3. I want to export ONLY the highlighted words to a separate file, purpose to import them to another application on a PC, e.g. a mindmap software so I could summarize my learnings and findings there.
(4). Scribbling and also exporting scribbles to some picture files might be considered nice to have, but not really necessary.

Now I've found out how to highlight and how to export a PDF, but not how to export the highlights ONLY to e.g. a text file. Looking at the search results e.g. from this forum, it seems it was earlier possible but might have changed in a upgrade.

Please enlighten me!
baljo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:38 AM   #2
lensmann
Zealot
lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox Max 2, ThinkBook Plus Gen 2
You can export highlighted text from PDFs. It comes with a stamp attached to every highlighted chunk of text, but that is easy enough to strip away.
  1. In the PDF with the highlighted text, open the menu and tap on "TOC" (in the bottom left corner).
  2. In the sidebar which appears, tap on the 'highlights' icon (it looks like a little oval with three dots in it). You'll see a list with the first few words of all the text you've highlighted in the PDF.
  3. The small square box at the bottom of each note lets you select that note. To select all, tap the square that appears at the bottom of the screen. It will select all notes, including those on subsequent pages of the list.
  4. Now tap on the 'export' icon (the box with an arrow pointing out), and select 'export to local' to save it to a local file. The Max 2 will now create a text file with all the highlighted text in your pdf. The file is by default saved in the Boox's filesystem in the path ./note/[filename of your pdf]/[filename of your pdf-datestamp_timestamp].txt

The text file contains the highlighted text together with a rubric telling you which chapter the text was from and at what time it was highlighted. For example:

Code:
II: Republicanism
time:2020-04-27 11:07
【content】 For Skinner, the chief characteristic of the tradition in question is not its opposition to monarchy, but
its commitment to a conception of liberty that rejects arbitrary power and
supports the rule of law 
【note】
-------------------
The text you want is always between the tags [content] and [note], so if the surrounding data is a problem it's a simple enough matter to write a script to extract only the actual text you want and dump the remaining data.

I hope this helps (and good luck with your university entrance exams!).
lensmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2020, 01:29 PM   #3
baljo
Connoisseur
baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Sony Reader PRS-650, GoodEReader 13.3", Onyx Boox Max2
Thanks a lot! This did it!
Yes, cleaning the file will be easy.
For some reason I thought TOC meant Table Of Contents and nothing else, but I was wrong.
Thx again, this will save a lot of time I can use studying instead!
baljo is offline   Reply With Quote