Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #1
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
New Kindle Voyage

Amazon have announced the new Kindle Voyage, their latest high-end E-Ink based ebook reader.

The Voyage comes with a 300dpi 6" Carta E-Ink screen, no bezel (by using a glass cover) and 'haptic feedback' page turn 'buttons'.

UK £169/£229 (Wifi/Wifi+3G)
USA with Special Offers $199/$269 (Wifi/Wifi+3G)
USA without Special Offers $219/$289 (Wifi/Wifi+3G)

In the EU it seems to be €189/€249 (Wifi/Wifi+3G)

Quote:
High-resolution 300 ppi display—reads even more like the printed page
Reimagined page turns—PagePress enables you to turn the page without lifting a finger
New adaptive front light—provides ideal brightness, day or night
Our thinnest Kindle ever
Battery lasts weeks, not hours
[original post]
Darn it,already posted in the Kindle forum.

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-18-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:28 PM   #2
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
It's available for pre-order for $199

Along with new Fire Tablets.
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 12:26 AM   #3
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Pretty. Expensive. I'll be interested in the reviews once it's released, since I like page turn buttons and PagePress sounds nifty.

The product page has details about other upcoming features that Amazon has in the pipeline. Family Library caught my eye, linking Amazon accounts to share purchases will be handy.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:24 AM   #4
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Both the Family Library and the Voyager have features I have wanted for a long while. It will be good for parents and children to both have accounts and keep their books separate but still share. The Voyager has features whose absence made the paperwhite undesireable to me. I especially like the 4G memory (though I would have liked 8g) and the page turn borders. I will be interested to read reviews of those to see if they work for people. The only problem is my keyboard is still working just fine though possibly the battery life is getting a little shorter. I would feel a bit guilty buying a replacement when it really isn't needed.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Hmnn. I'll be interested to see a competent reviewer compare the Voyager to the new Kobo H2O. For a $38CDN premium you get capacitive touch, page turn buttons with feedback, a light sensor for auto-brightness adjustments and a higher DPI screen (although physically smaller). Interesting. No waterproofing though.

Still, I imagine that those heavily-invested readers who have been wanting a premium reader with page-turning buttons are thrilled.

I'll also note that while Amazon has launched the new "basic Kindle" and the Fire 6" in Canada, they have not upgraded the Paperwhites to 4GB and they have not launched the Voyager as yet.

The new "basic" Kindle really blows the Kobo Touch out of the water though. $79CDN for a Carta screen, faster processor & 4GB on-board? Yeah, Kobo's gonna need to reply to that somehow. $65 Touch anyone?
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I need to see more reviews before I commit to buying this. I wonder if those page turn buttons are any better than the ones on the nook simple touch.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Although they seem to have made some good improvements on paper, I too will have to look at one. I no longer trust reviews as far as screens go. I suspect the screen is still plagued by the light layer which degrades the text enough to make it difficult on my eyes. As a photographer I know that whenever you add another layer of glass in front of a lens (as in filters) you are asking for a diminished image. Add more plastic and it is even worse. So I'll wait this year. I was also disappointed, but not surprised, when I saw the formatting page during a review video and could tell that the same few margin and line spacing choices and only a few available fonts are still there. I'm not sure why Amazon continues to limit formatting so much. And the other thing that bothered me in the video was that the text still looks grey rather than dark black.

Any bets on how long before our resident super Amazon supporter guy shows up to say it is the best device ever!

Old 09-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Go here for the full discussion, with a lot of posts:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=246475

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-18-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Closed Thread