Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-25-2023, 06:18 PM   #1
Piecho
Piecho began at the beginning.

Device: Cervantes 4
Question 6-7" reader with fast refresh mode

Hey,
Looking for <150E ebook reader. Looking for warm light setting, sharp screen and good PDF reader with landscape support and fast refresh mode available.

Been thinking about latest Paperwhite, Versa Pro, Clara 2E but none of them matches all the criterias.

Still using my old Nook Simple Touch with Android 2.1 unlocked. Not sure If I need more recent Android here, but if there is no reader matching my criteria I am open to check what community provided with custom software.
Piecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 06:48 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piecho View Post
Hey,
Looking for <150E ebook reader. Looking for warm light setting, sharp screen and good PDF reader with landscape support and fast refresh mode available.

Been thinking about latest Paperwhite, Versa Pro, Clara 2E but none of them matches all the criterias.

Still using my old Nook Simple Touch with Android 2.1 unlocked. Not sure If I need more recent Android here, but if there is no reader matching my criteria I am open to check what community provided with custom software.
There isn't such a Reader. 7" is too small for PDF. Your budget is too small.

The best you can get (IMHO) is a Kobo Libra 2 and use KOReader to read PDF. The screen is still too small, but at least with KOReader, you can get rid of the margins and see the PDF as large as possible full screen.

The Libra 2 has warm light, & sharp screen. I don't know about fast refresh. If you mean true B&W, then no.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2023, 06:59 PM   #3
Piecho

What about real life difference when comes to screen sharpness in Verse and Verse pro? Honestly would prefer micro-sd slot support than higher price and mp3 support.

I do have 6" device right now, as I see some videos Pocketbooks seems to have decent PDF reader with landscape mode and some settings to make the experience a little smoother.

Boox is totally out of my budget, ~200E devices that runs Android and have 300dpi eink from different Chinese vendors does not give me much hope tbh.
Old 12-25-2023, 07:38 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What about real life difference when comes to screen sharpness in Verse and Verse pro? Honestly would prefer micro-sd slot support than higher price and mp3 support.

I do have 6" device right now, as I see some videos Pocketbooks seems to have decent PDF reader with landscape mode and some settings to make the experience a little smoother.

Boox is totally out of my budget, ~200E devices that runs Android and have 300dpi eink from different Chinese vendors does not give me much hope tbh.
The Verse and Verse Pro will not do at all. The screen is too small. 7" is too small and 6" is even worse. So no,forget those two. You will have to up your budget. 6" is out and 7" is more expense.
Old 12-26-2023, 03:00 AM   #5
Piecho

Sorry, but you do not understand my perspective here.

I do have old NST with Android 2.1. Just want more recent models that will meet my needs. I do not need larger device that 6-8" if I can use it in landscape mode for PDFs. As I see PocketBooks uses A2 refresh rate in PDF mode, that should meet my basic needs.

In the worst case I can order 2 PocektBooks from Amazon and return one, but looking forward for your suggestions here as well.
Advert
Old 12-26-2023, 07:19 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Sorry, but you do not understand my perspective here.

I do have old NST with Android 2.1. Just want more recent models that will meet my needs. I do not need larger device that 6-8" if I can use it in landscape mode for PDFs. As I see PocketBooks uses A2 refresh rate in PDF mode, that should meet my basic needs.

In the worst case I can order 2 PocektBooks from Amazon and return one, but looking forward for your suggestions here as well.
You do need a larger screen for PDF. If you get rid of your PDF requirement, then you can have a smaller screen.
Old 12-26-2023, 10:08 AM   #7
Xaenor
Enthusiast
Xaenor began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You do need a larger screen for PDF. If you get rid of your PDF requirement, then you can have a smaller screen.
I don't know why are so adamant about 7 inch being too small for PDF - I used to read them on my 6-inch Kindle Keyboard back in the day and had no problems whatsoever.

A lot of pure-text PDFs support reflow, which makes it indistinguishable from a text format, too.

Comic books and large images are a bit more difficult, but I never had a problem with clicking the button an extra time to scroll down a large image. Or just scaling it down if your eyesight is good enough.
Xaenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 12:04 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Jon, for what it's worth given that the OP is planning to read in landscape and has done so before, it would appear that they know what the experience will be like. Other than the desire for an A2 refresh mode, almost any ereader capable of running KOReader should be able to meet their requirements.

Also, please drop the repetitive suggestions that they need a larger screen. A 6" eInk screen has a vertical dimension of 12.26cm while a 8" eInk screen has a horizontal dimension of 12.19cm and a 7" eInk screen has a horizontal dimension of 10.7cm. So in landscape mode, a 6" ereader has a wider screen than either a 7" or 8" in portrait mode. Yes. more page turns will be needed but the OP is apparently very willing to live with that drawback. Considering they are coming from a NST with a 600x800 167 DPI eInk Pearl screen, any modern 6" ereader will be a definite upgrade.

And perhaps try to be a bit more sensitive since that price point may be all that the OP can afford at this point in time.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 12:48 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Also KOReader is no longer needed on a Kobo for PDF margin cropping.

The eink Refresh Speed:
Either slow (A2) or very slow. Doesn't matter for any ebook reading software for eink. May matter with 3rd party programs not eink optimised, such as lchess, K9 mail, ereader apps for Android such as GooglePlayBooks, BorrowBox, Kobo, Kindle, Nook etc.
But does the Pocketbook have Playstore or APK support?

Paperwhite is more locked down than the VersaPro or Clara2E (I think supports KOReader). The Kindles often can't be jailbreaked and without a jailbreak, no KOReader.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 12:57 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
True. I should have said any modern non-Amazon ereader.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 01:51 PM   #11
Piecho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Also KOReader is no longer needed on a Kobo for PDF margin cropping.

The eink Refresh Speed:
Either slow (A2) or very slow. Doesn't matter for any ebook reading software for eink. May matter with 3rd party programs not eink optimised, such as lchess, K9 mail, ereader apps for Android such as GooglePlayBooks, BorrowBox, Kobo, Kindle, Nook etc.
But does the Pocketbook have Playstore or APK support?

Paperwhite is more locked down than the VersaPro or Clara2E (I think supports KOReader). The Kindles often can't be jailbreaked and without a jailbreak, no KOReader.
Looks like I will give it a try one of the PocketBooks. Clara 2E seems to be not that stable on Koreader as I did read the github threads.

Thanks for your opinions, looks like I do have to compare the resolution of Verse and Verse Pro or Era myself IRL.