Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
Hyperduel
Mr. Dork
Hyperduel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis Gen 1 + Gen 3, Fire 10 (2019), Likebook Alita + P78
Help: Good E-Ink Android Devices for Kindle App 10 in screen books/manga

Hey all,

I just joined here since I just love the E-Ink concept. Ever since I gotten the Kindle Oasis Gen 1, I just love E-Ink screens. Makes reading books and manga enjoyable.

I recently discovered that there's tons of E-Ink Android devices from China. It appeared that while the hardware is good, the software is lacking (this is nothing new from many Chinese Devices that I owed over the years). I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, but the LCD screen just drives me nuts after a while, so E-Ink it is.

I just want to see which E-Ink Android Devices with a 10 in screen I should be looking at?

Major Points:

* Run the Kindle Android App quite well using the most current APK if possible.

* Would be nice to have MicroSD storage, since the Kindle App can download books to a MicroSD card.

* Do good enough on other ebook file formats and PDF, but those aren't priority.

* Maybe decent web browsing for forums would help, maybe newspapers android apps and stuff like that for the purpose of reading only.

* Good screen for manga via the Kindle App is a major plus.

* A stylus is cool but not needed.

I say Kindle since all of my ebooks are on the Kindle format. I'm more less an Amazon slave and I love their ebook service. I'm giving my Kindle Oasis Gen 1 to my GF while I get the Kindle Oasis Gen 3 for myself for traveling and when I don't need the big screen. The E-Ink Tablet would just be for home only, and I'll primary using their Android app. Yes I can go to the DRM-free route, but honestly I just like how Amazon does their things and it's convenient for me.

I do see that the Likebook Alita coming soon fits all of my check boxes, but I'm curious what are some of the other 10 in Android E-Ink tablets I should be looking at?

Thanks!
Hyperduel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
Hyperduel
Mr. Dork
Hyperduel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis Gen 1 + Gen 3, Fire 10 (2019), Likebook Alita + P78
Sorry, I almost forgot: I don't have a price limit.
Hyperduel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #3
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I can't come close to answering your question but one thing you might want to look into is how well the Kindle app works on an e-ink tablet. I haven't read or seen anything about this recently but I know there were reviews of Android e-ink devices a few years ago that were able to run the Kindle app and there were problems. I don't remember what problems or how bad they were, but before you go too far with this you might want to research that.

The Kindle app is designed with an LCD or AMOLED screen in mind and those are very different than e-ink. It might be that by now Amazon has taken that into account but I'd want to be pretty sure.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote