Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-23-2024, 06:16 PM   #1
PixRetro
PixRetro began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Found my old Kobo touch... saw you can put linux on it!

So.. I Found my original Kobo touch and I'm planning on putting linux on it to use as a kind of calendar/todo/clock type thing and had a few questions around specifically running linux on it.

Firstly, what is the maximum size/speed of sd card I can use? I saw 16gb mentioned.. I was wondering if larger ones are able to be used? I have a lot of spare cards but I don't think I have anything smaller than 32gb...

I would like to use it as a kind of desktop notification tool, maybe with access to local weather, a pomodoro timer, maybe emails or some kind of notification saying how many emails I have, If I can't access them from it, and if possible an mpd client that would control the media server but show the track details.

I'm guessing there will not be an out of the box solution, but I have been looking into learning some kind of programming. What would be a good language to learn to build applications for the things I want? I currently have linux mint debian edition as my main os so not a total linux noob.

If I need to break things down a bit clearer let me know. I have adhd and I know my written communication skills tend to be a bit vague and rambling, so sorry in advance!
PixRetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 08:45 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Your Kobo is already running some version of Linux.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 10:32 AM   #3
PixRetro

Well I was meaning more of a desktop/tablet version. Unless i can add these things to the current os?
Old 04-24-2024, 01:44 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixRetro View Post
Well I was meaning more of a desktop/tablet version. Unless i can add these things to the current os?
I wouldn't do that as the Touch is a rather slow device. It's not worth it really.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 05:08 AM   #5
Szybet
Connoisseur
Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo nia
Use inkbox / Quill OS... It's complicated alpine under the hood
Szybet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 08:18 AM   #6
PixRetro

Thanks! I'll have a look... worst comes to worst ilk look if i can just use the screen on its own
Old 04-26-2024, 12:11 PM   #7
Szybet
Connoisseur
Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo nia
the answer is no, trust me. If you don't trust me then the answer is maybe: https://github.com/vroland/epdiy but I propose you trust me ;P Quill / InkBox OS makes your ereader a complicated linux system on which you can do anything
Szybet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo touch linux