Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2024, 11:10 PM   #331
Lordblacknail
Groupie
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Galaxy Tab S7 Plus Kobo Libre Colour
Ok, here is my three pesos worth. The new Libre Colour is cool, I don't see any of the anomalies that others have seen with the screen or glare or whatever. Reading in black and white seems like reading on my Libre 2. It is nice to have color covers. It is nice that I can load Uncle Scrooge and Opus and Annie Fanny. Will I ever, ever actually read them on the Libre? Probably not. I have a tablet, a bunch of PC's and more tablets. Am I glad I bought it? Yes. Would I buy it again knowing what I know now? Yes. For the extra battery and the faster processor if nothing else.

I have found one issue that I don't like so far. On the Libre 2, I make the name of the book, Toxic Prey A34. Meaning it is part of a series, probably his main series, and the 34th book in that series. The Libra 2 shows that. The Libre Colour shows the cover, in color, but in no meta data showing the book number. It just shows the cover. Now if you click the lines under the cover, details, you can see that information and more. I did that on the Orphan X series by Gregg Hurwitz, and I only loaded six books of the ten in the series, because I wasn't sure I would like it, and it quickly became a pain before I found which was the second book. Anyway, what if I was reading a series like Pratchet, or Evanovich, or somebody with a ton of books in a series? I am not going to open each cover to read the details to see what number it is.

Anyway, that is my first issue. I am sure I will find a solution, or someone will.

Bottom line is, I am happy I bought it, and I would buy it again.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 11:37 PM   #332
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Yes, your signature is now just Cute Jack.

If you have a series column set up in calibre, that should be sent to your Libra Colour on the second connect (the first connect, the books are transferred and import when you safely eject. This creates the database entries to which much the metadata is sent during the second connection).

See attached image for an example of what the screen looks like on my Libra Colour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	100
Size:	357.6 KB
ID:	208064  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 08:47 AM   #333
Lordblacknail
Groupie
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Galaxy Tab S7 Plus Kobo Libre Colour
Thanks, I will add that for future stuff. It will be a project fixing the ones I already have.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 10:15 AM   #334
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Is anybody else reading B&W manga on their Libra Colour? I’m noticing a rainbow moiré effect over some of the screen tone.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 10:20 AM   #335
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Sony: PRS-300, PRS-350. Kobo: Aura v2, Clara HD, Libra 2, Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Is anybody else reading B&W manga on their Libra Colour? I’m noticing a rainbow moiré effect over some of the screen tone.
My general observation on this is that the more brightness you use, the more this moiré effect will show. I've set up mine to use max 60% and it's tolerable to me now.

I even did some tests with ambient light and a real book next to it to try and fit the screen to be about the same as a book page with normal reading lightning conditions inside my house. 50% seemed to be good.

Your mileage may vary of course
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 10:21 AM   #336
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Some people will see this more then others.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 12:04 PM   #337
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post

I have found one issue that I don't like so far. On the Libre 2, I make the name of the book, Toxic Prey A34. Meaning it is part of a series, probably his main series, and the 34th book in that series. The Libra 2 shows that. The Libre Colour shows the cover, in color, but in no meta data showing the book number. It just shows the cover.
You had the L2 home page in List View. The default is cover view (that you see now.) Use the 3 dots menu at the top right of the home screen to change between views.

PS: Installing the Nickel Series mod available somewhere on this forum will properly fill the Series data on your side loaded books without having to do any kinds of re-connection to update it, or change Book titles to include that info.

Last edited by rashkae; 05-05-2024 at 12:06 PM.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 02:18 PM   #338
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
There is an option to turn off the rainbow effect in 'Settings'.

I don't see the effect myself, but I did note there was an option.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 07:32 PM   #339
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
It only happens with pictures that have a lot of grey screentone in them,at least for me. I think it's due to the filter, combined with the screen tone, causing diffraction grating effects.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 08:20 PM   #340
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Okeh. But I don’t want to be one of the people who sees it! Is there any fix for it short of returning it for a new unit? (Difficult to do with Kobo directly.)
Old 05-05-2024, 08:21 PM   #341
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
There is an option to turn off the rainbow effect in 'Settings'.

I don't see the effect myself, but I did note there was an option.

Thanks! Now that you mention it, I remember seeing that option, too. I wonder how it will affect plain text? I’ll have to experiment.
Old 05-05-2024, 08:27 PM   #342
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
It only happens with pictures that have a lot of grey screentone in them,at least for me. I think it's due to the filter, combined with the screen tone, causing diffraction grating effects.

Right. I mentioned the screentone. They are notorious for moiré effects. In fact, in its heyday, Japanese manga artists would use the moiré patterns for dramatic effect. I don’t know how old you are, but when watching BW movies on an NTSC television, moiré effects occurred regularly because of the patterns on the clothes that the actors were wearing.

But I’d rather not see a rainbow dancing across my black-and-white manga. LOL I imagine the effect would be either pronounced or reduced depending on the screen size in relationship to the image being displayed. I’ll have to play with that rainbow toggle somebody mentioned above.
Old 05-05-2024, 08:57 PM   #343
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
But I’d rather not see a rainbow dancing across my black-and-white manga. LOL I imagine the effect would be either pronounced or reduced depending on the screen size in relationship to the image being displayed. I’ll have to play with that rainbow toggle somebody mentioned above.
Be sure to try washing the screen well. A couple people (myself included) have noticed the rainbow effect is more visible with some kind of residue left from the screen protector that shipped with the LC.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM   #344
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'd say some people will see it moiré than others...
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM   #345
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'd say some people will see it moiré than others...
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote