Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Audible: Three Series Sale (US only?, Member only?) exp May 29th

Audible is having a sale on three series to celebrate the Memorial Day weekend in the US. Each book in the series are $7.95 each (some JD Robb shorts are $4.95).

The series are...

Elvis Cole/Joe Pike by Robert Crais
Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris
Eve Dallas by JD Robb (Nora Roberts)

http://www.audible.com/mt/Three_Series_Sale

Quote:
To celebrate the upcoming three-day weekend, three of our favorite Mystery & Thriller series are on sale. Spend some time with Detectives Elvis Cole and Joe Pike (courtesy of Robert Crais), Or maybe you’re ready to tackle a customer favorite and long-standing series like J.D. Robb’s …In Death, starring Lieutenant Eve Dallas. The first 11 books in Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series are on sale, so you can catch up on the series before you get the new book.

Whether you’re by the pool, at the beach, or just lounging around the house, you can spice up your weekend with one of these thrilling mystery series. The sale ends Tuesday, May 29, 2012 @ 11:59PM ET.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Shows up for me in Canada (with a membership). I've been wanting to try Robert Crais, so I'll probably pick up the first in that series.

ETA: Or a later book since there are multiple complaints about the various narrators for most of the series.

Last edited by Synamon; 05-22-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Man! I just used my last two credits on JD Robb stories. Phooey.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
I'm not an Audible member, and the discounted price does show up.
The Robert Crais books are very good. I'm haven't heard the narrators, so Synamon's suggestion to pick by that criteria is probably a good idea.
Thanks, AnemicOak!

KentE
KentE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
My experience over the last few years, first as a "member" but not subscriber, then as a subscriber on the special 6/$6 deal and now as a monthly subscription member is that only the latter see and qualify for most (if not all) of Audibles sales.

Careful that you aren't seeing the $7.49 price that is shown to those who aren't members; that's a come-on price to get you to sign up (good for one book only).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Careful that you aren't seeing the $7.49 price that is shown to those who aren't members; that's a come-on price to get you to sign up (good for one book only).
This sale shows up for also and I'm not on any subscription plan.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
One thing I have learned about Audiobooks is to listen to the samples before buying. I only like narrators that are voice actors. If the narrator does the same voice for every character I am not going to pay or waste a credit on it. I'll read the ebook.

Another reason to listen to samples is quality. I bought Spider's Bite by Jennifer Estep which is a Urban Fantasy title. 5 Stars by the way! It had excellent quality and love the narrator's voice but it's sequel Web of Lies which I bought turned out to be very tinny and made the narrator sound different. Maybe I'm picky but if I am going to pay $20+ for an audiobook I want it to sound good.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Yes, samples are a great thing for audiobooks. Some of the worst narration I've ever heard was done by the authors themselves.

I remember in the earlies days of audiobooks there was one company (can't remember their name) where you could actually hear the voice actor turning pages while they performed the book.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #9
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yes, samples are a great thing for audiobooks. Some of the worst narration I've ever heard was done by the authors themselves.
I actually judged this category for The Audies. Some of them were completely unlistenable. Others just did a poor job, despite the story itself being good. The few that were trained actors or comedians did very well.

But, yes, I always listen to the sample first, as some of them have (for unfathomable reasons) chosen voice actors that are extremely irritating.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:43 AM   #10
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
The sale seems to be J. D. Robb only for Australia. And I completed my collection earlier this year.

I swear someone seems to be noting everything I buy and then reducing the price.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote