Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
The best part of reading on an apple device

What do you think are the best things about reading on an apple device? Some of the reasons for using an apple device that I can see are:

1) The ability to see a whole page at once.

2)The light is on all the time even if I do not turn it on, so when I go to read on one of my ipads I never need to turn the light on (If my paper white had an auto sense feature that would be great).
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
You are comparing apples to oranges. The apple devices are tablets, not ereaders. Tablets, of any kind really, make reading .pdf files and books with illustrations and/or instructions (like cooking) way easier than using an ereader, IMHO.

When I bought my Mom a first gen. paperwhite, I also bought her a cover that puts it into sleep mode automatically. When you open the cover, it lights up on its own. Not important to me, but perhaps to you.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
1) Marvin app
2) Not being locked into a single store.
3) Being able to jump into Wikipedia, maps, YouTube, Safari, etc. to research or dig deeper into what I am reading.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I just bought a 64GB iPod Touch (5th gen) for Christmas.

The best parts are that I can hold all my audiobooks, my comic books, my ebooks, and use Marvin.

The software is pretty smooth too.

Still, my Paperwhite is pretty good too.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
iPad: Large, color screen for comics and PDF.

iPod Touch/iPhone: self-lit, wi-fi so quick access to various reading material, and Stanza for Calibre integration. Now that I've gotten a Kindle Paperwhite 2 though, there's not much advantage to the iPhone over e-ink for me (at least for the purpose of reading).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Best part is the terrific pixel density. The iPhone 5 and iPad Mini Retina both blow the eInk pixel density levels out of the water. I got rid of my pathetic PW2 because of its lousy lighted screen and fuzzy text. The iPad/iPhones are just so much better at rendering sharp text than any eInk device will ever be. The eInks are so LAST-DECADE in design, whereas retina screens are the latest technology for screens.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
-Great pixel density
-Great contrast (see previous line)
-Light device (iPad air and Retina Mini)
-Mature iOs, which results on very nice Kindle and Nook apps, to mention a few. Their Android counterpart are awful.
-Very good options (apps) to handle PDF files. The iPad is my default PDF reader.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #8
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
All of the above.

I'd love a unifying portal app that could present all of my documents... cbz/cbr, pdf, epub, .txt, .pages, etc. and launch the appropriate app. As it is now, if I want to view a particular file I need to remember which format it is in and then launch the app. Given the sandboxed and locked down nature of iOS, this will never happen.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #9
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I prefer to read on my paperwhite. I do read occasionally on my iPad mini/iPhone/touch but for me it's no different to reading on any other back lit display, ok for short stretches, but ultimately an eink screen is the way to go.

Edit: I forgot I do like reading magazines and comics on my iPad.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #10
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
For me, it's reading and annotating pdfs. I go through a lot of PDFs at work (I'm a researcher) and the ability to easily manage my pdfs and use a range of annotation tools really helps my workflow.

I also use my iPad for reading news through my RSS feeds, and for reading articles I've saved to Readability or InstaPaper.

For reading recreational books, I prefer my e-ink devices, although I also have Marvin installed in case I only have my iPad around.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:12 AM   #11
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
All of the above.

I'd love a unifying portal app that could present all of my documents... cbz/cbr, pdf, epub, .txt, .pages, etc. and launch the appropriate app. As it is now, if I want to view a particular file I need to remember which format it is in and then launch the app. Given the sandboxed and locked down nature of iOS, this will never happen.
Workaround is to use less file formats... Pdf, cbr and epub, the rest is app specific stuff anyway (like txt or pages)...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:57 AM   #12
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
I use both. When it come to pocket-ability and reading outside The PW is hands down the best. When it comes to versitility and sharpness, the Ipad/mini are winners.

Depending on what I plan to do for the day, I will carry either or sometimes both.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote