Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-12-2014, 04:35 AM   #1
mrs1
mrs1 began at the beginning.

Device: M96
M96 PDF reader with black text

Hello,

I just bought an M96 and I'm very happy with it.

There's an issue that's bugging me: I have several PDF files where the text color is not black. The M96 will show the text in grayscale which makes it harder to read. Is there any PDF reader that allows you to display the text all in black?

Thanks!

Mike
mrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Interested in this as well, in fact, as a general rule it'd be nice if there was a higher contrast / threshold option for a lot of rendering levels.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2014, 05:16 AM   #3
japinder
jp
japinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Onyx Boox Note Air, Remarkable 1, Kindle Oasis 2
Personally, I use k2pdfopt to trim the margins, convert to landscape mode & increase contrast/chabge gamma etc to make PDFs with color backgrounds (otherwise unusable in native M96 readers) to display appreciably well.

k2pdfopt thread here on MobileRead: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144711

Jp

Last edited by japinder; 12-16-2014 at 02:57 AM.
japinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #4
mrs1

Thanks for the tip! :-)

I was using PDFScissors, but I is less feature rich and I believe it has been discontinued...

https://sites.google.com/site/pdfscissors/

Last edited by mrs1; 12-15-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:00 AM   #5
japinder
jp
japinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjapinder can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

You're welcome.

I use Briss if all I need is to crop the PDF. Same functionality as PDF Scissors.

However, k2pdfopt does a lot, lot more. See page 61, post 911 of the k2pdfopt thread I referred to above for an example conversion of a color PDF to black & white.

Jp
Advert
Old 12-16-2014, 03:57 AM   #6
mrs1

Thanks for the second great tip. I'll take a look at Briss!

Until 13" ebook readers are cheaper, cropping is very important.

Last question, is there any worthwhile PDF reader in Google Play for the M96?

Mike
Old 12-21-2014, 06:24 AM   #7
japinder
jp

The inbuilt PDF reader in M96 is good enough for most PDF's in portrait mode.

If you want to read in landscape mode though, the inbuilt reader is next to useless.

I use briss to crop the PDF & then use k2pdfopt to split each page into two, rotate & convert to landscape mode.

Now the inbuilt reader treats it as a 'normal' portrait mode PDF & works fine.

I have Moon+ & ezPDF paid version. Keep on alternating between these two & the inbuilt reader.

The one downside to the non-inbuilt readers is they are not full screen. The huge system bar decreases the amount of screen available.

There is a workaround - full screen app. However, with it being in use, you cannot force the screen refresh with home button.

That's one reason to stick with the inbuilt reader.

Jp
Old 12-21-2014, 06:54 AM   #8
mrs1

Thank you for your valuable tips!
Old 12-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #9
eb00ker
Connoisseur
eb00ker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG / Onyx Boox M92 / M96 / C67 AFTERGLOW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by japinder View Post

I have Moon+ & ezPDF paid version.
Do you actually use the ezPDF Reader for reading PDFs on your M96?

Because i noticed it has some really crazy behaviors caused by the sensibility of the magnetic stylus. Sometimes the app interprets one simple click as a double click and therefore the zoom gets out of line... another thing is: the physical buttons of the M96 don't really work for page turning, so every page has to be flipped by clicking...which is very annoying, don't you think!?
eb00ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:59 PM   #10
japinder
jp

Erratic behavior is sometimes exhibited even in Moon+ & the default reader.

Its not app specific, but a general issue, where the stylus is not accurate 100% of the time.

I'm just thankful the M96 isn't as troublesome as the T68. You should see the issues T68 users are facing.

With ezPDF, the one thing I tried was to change the orientation of a normal portrait mode PDF to landscape, tune the zoom to just so that each page was displayed as half. Then I mapped the volume buttons to turn the page.

It was okay, in that there were no glitches & the volume buttons seem a lot sturdy as compared to the D-pad or the previous/next buttons. But the problem is that big system bar eating up the screen real estate.

With all the temporary settings being troublesome, I now just use k2pdfopt to change the mode to landscape & split pages accordingly. The resulting file can be thrown at any PDF reader without any issues.

Jp
Old 12-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #11
eb00ker
Connoisseur
eb00ker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG / Onyx Boox M92 / M96 / C67 AFTERGLOW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by japinder View Post
Erratic behavior is sometimes exhibited even in Moon+ & the default reader.

Its not app specific, but a general issue, where the stylus is not accurate 100% of the time.

I'm just thankful the M96 isn't as troublesome as the T68. You should see the issues T68 users are facing.

With ezPDF, the one thing I tried was to change the orientation of a normal portrait mode PDF to landscape, tune the zoom to just so that each page was displayed as half. Then I mapped the volume buttons to turn the page.

It was okay, in that there were no glitches & the volume buttons seem a lot sturdy as compared to the D-pad or the previous/next buttons. But the problem is that big system bar eating up the screen real estate.

With all the temporary settings being troublesome, I now just use k2pdfopt to change the mode to landscape & split pages accordingly. The resulting file can be thrown at any PDF reader without any issues.

Jp
thanks for sharing your experience JP. you seem quite knowledgable in terms of the M96; so I'm wondering if any random reboots are happening on your device from time to time? I'm experiencing those reboots quite frequently and I'm curious if this is caused by some installed app or the (quite instable) android 4.0 system itself !? Concerning the system bar: you probably already heard from the Full!Screen App which is really a relief, but then there isn't a force refresh option anymore. I'm hoping someone comes up with a new app on that matter...

Last edited by eb00ker; 12-23-2014 at 06:40 PM.
eb00ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:11 AM   #12
japinder
jp

No random reboots in the five months it has been in my possession. Touch wood!

But occasionally, I've seen battery percentage 'increase' by a percentage point or two, when the charger was at least a few meters away.

With respect to reboots, most of the M96's are golden.

Just the occasional bad tap is all that happens.

The full screen app seems to kill the service which controls system bar as well as the refresh. So unless Onyx/Booxstor change that behavior, there isn't much hope. The chances of that happening are slim though.

To counter that, I've contented myself with cropping as much as possible in briss & then using using k2pdfopt to split, rotate & convert to landscape mode. Then I just suffer the status bar in silence, since refresh, every 5-6 pages is of paramount importance.

Jp