Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-28-2023, 05:46 PM   #661
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I still have not gotten used to using the Pen button for anything (just got one recently). I would especially like to assign Undo or Lasso, things it won't do in the current software. Another thing I do a lot is Erase Page, also not assignable. And not used to using the other end for eraser, prefer to just use toolbar to switch.
Yeah, the button is a giant pain to use as you have to hold it and then at the same time push the tip. Not sure how you do it, but try to put the pencil on the button and then use light pressure. A toggle switch would be much easier. Push button, now it is pencil, push button again, back to the last utensil.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 06:20 PM   #662
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Yeah, the button is a giant pain to use as you have to hold it and then at the same time push the tip. Not sure how you do it, but try to put the pencil on the button and then use light pressure. A toggle switch would be much easier. Push button, now it is pencil, push button again, back to the last utensil.
Yes, I understand you have to press the button while it is touching the screen. I could probably get used to that, but I rarely want to do any of the things it can be programmed for, so I can't get used to it, etc.

I'd really use it a lot if it did Undo.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2023, 07:11 PM   #663
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I understand you have to press the button while it is touching the screen. I could probably get used to that, but I rarely want to do any of the things it can be programmed for, so I can't get used to it, etc.

I don't disagree with you. We want the same thing.
Old 05-29-2023, 01:47 AM   #664
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
Seeing how often I hit that button by mistake, it’d be a disaster for me
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 02:31 AM   #665
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
If the button was available for undo, I’d probably go back to using the Scribe pencil too.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2023, 01:14 PM   #666
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've made an adjustment that is working for me so far: I've assigned Erase to the button. This lets me keep my thumb resting on the button for quicker access, and of the available options, Erase is the one I use most.

Flipping the Pen over to use the eraser might be cute and 'intuitive', but it is not nearly as quick, and requires one to position the button again after flipping it back. Maybe after a few hundred of these one can do this without fumbling, but it still would not be as quick.

Also the eraser requires more pressure, makes more noise/vibration (a tiny bit unpleasant), and feels less precise.

Now I'd like to be able to assign other actions to the eraser!

I've added to my Scribe wish list here

Last edited by tomsem; 05-29-2023 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-02-2023, 03:09 PM   #667
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
I've made an adjustment that is working for me so far: I've assigned Erase to the button. This lets me keep my thumb resting on the button for quicker access, and of the available options, Erase is the one I use most.
I have found an annoyance when having the writing toolbar visible. Unless you are in point mode (the finger), then tapping on the screen doesn't page forward or back. So I used to have that on, and have highlighter on the button. But since last update highlights are better doing them by selecting the words and highlight them - when I use the highlighter freehand it never looks good. Also the eraser would erase highlights, it won't with select text and highlight. I have moved pen to the button and disable the writing toolbar. This way I can aleays page forward with a tap or swipe, don't have the ugly distraction of the collapsed writing bar, and can still make occasional annotations.

It works like this: with writing bar disabled you can still write on the document while pushing the button. The eraser also works when the writing bar is gone. Win win for me as I rarely annotate. The only thing missing is adding sticky notes - sometimes there is not enough room to write on top.
Old 06-02-2023, 06:14 PM   #668
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have found an annoyance when having the writing toolbar visible. Unless you are in point mode (the finger), then tapping on the screen doesn't page forward or back. So I used to have that on, and have highlighter on the button. But since last update highlights are better doing them by selecting the words and highlight them - when I use the highlighter freehand it never looks good. Also the eraser would erase highlights, it won't with select text and highlight. I have moved pen to the button and disable the writing toolbar. This way I can aleays page forward with a tap or swipe, don't have the ugly distraction of the collapsed writing bar, and can still make occasional annotations.

It works like this: with writing bar disabled you can still write on the document while pushing the button. The eraser also works when the writing bar is gone. Win win for me as I rarely annotate. The only thing missing is adding sticky notes - sometimes there is not enough room to write on top.
Nice.

Did not understand the last sentence however. Sticky Notes aren't available in Print Replica, and the writing area for them is always the same size.
Old 06-02-2023, 08:12 PM   #669
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Nice.

Did not understand the last sentence however. Sticky Notes aren't available in Print Replica, and the writing area for them is always the same size.
Yeah, I want sticky notes in print replica as a new thing. They are artificially limiting it for now good reason. If you run out of margins, for example.
Old 06-03-2023, 01:46 AM   #670
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Yeah, I want sticky notes in print replica as a new thing. They are artificially limiting it for now good reason. If you run out of margins, for example.
So do I, sticky notes works much better for me and I miss them in Print Replica
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 01:53 PM   #671
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I have a theory about this: Sticky Notes have no equivalent PDF annotation.

Assuming they complete the implementation of PDF markup (by returning original PDF with Scribe annotations mapped to PDF annotations), these would get left behind (or perhaps inelegantly converted to free form pen annotations). So they need to stick to a proper subset of PDF annotations (ideally a more complete set of them by the time they're done).

Of course, maybe they aren't planning to do any of this.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-03-2023 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:12 AM   #672
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
I have a theory about this: Sticky Notes have no equivalent PDF annotation.

Assuming they complete the implementation of PDF markup (by returning original PDF with Scribe annotations mapped to PDF annotations), these would get left behind (or perhaps inelegantly converted to free form pen annotations). So they need to stick to a proper subset of PDF annotations (ideally a more complete set of them by the time they're done).

Of course, maybe they aren't planning to do any of this.
Yes, that is a good theory that would make it quite simple to convert the print replica back to fully compatible PDF. Even though the brush strokes that we create ourselves are not PDF compatible until converted by Amazon. Probably why there is not real support for sideloaded PDF. When you use the lasso tool, copy, and then resize the strokes, you can clearly see that all the brush strokes are vector graphics, not pixel based graphics.
Old 08-30-2023, 09:44 AM   #673
sgt123456
sgt123456 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hi there!

I want to ask a question to all my fellow manga readers on Scribe, I’ve searched in the forum but have not found any clue about it.

How are you converting your nonDRM mangas (bought from other stores) to read it on the Scribe ? I find myself a little dificult to do it fine, because using KCC does not make it on full resolution, because it uses kindlegen wich downscale images because the scribe resolution is not suported on Mobi files… and I find the images are a little bit blurry or softened.

Is there any way to get them converted on full resolution in an easy way ? Thx in advance !!
sgt123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 01:40 PM   #674
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt123456 View Post
Hi there!

I want to ask a question to all my fellow manga readers on Scribe, I’ve searched in the forum but have not found any clue about it.

How are you converting your nonDRM mangas (bought from other stores) to read it on the Scribe ? I find myself a little dificult to do it fine, because using KCC does not make it on full resolution, because it uses kindlegen wich downscale images because the scribe resolution is not suported on Mobi files… and I find the images are a little bit blurry or softened.

Is there any way to get them converted on full resolution in an easy way ? Thx in advance !!
I assume these are CBR or CBZ?

You can try Kindle Create, or the older Kindle Comic Creator.

Unpack the CBR/CBZ so you can add the image files with one of the tools. If they aren't .jpg, covert them to .jpg.

Kindle Comic Creator will output KF8 (with .mobi file extension, which you could change to .azw3).

Kindle Create will output KPF. You can use calibre KFX Import plugin's command line interface to convert this to FXL ePub or PDF. I think Send To Kindle should convert ePub to a functional KF8 file.

I am trying things with a manga CBZ downloaded from archive.org.

Kindle Comic Creator is more 'one step' (creates KF8 with specified metadata),
but seems to choke on high resolution manga files (1245x3056). Not sure how much reduction is necessary, but it only lets you input 960 x 1280 as the canvas dimensions (though it handles larger images as per previous experiments).

Kindle Create handles the high resolution images without any trouble. Kindle Create + KFX Input doesn't generate Kindle format, so additional steps are needed to add, metadata and convert from FXL ePUB or PDF to a Kindle format.

Send To Kindle will handle either FXL ePub or PDF (and let you set Title/Author), but I think ePub should yield better results. Not sure panel view information (if any) survives. If not, perhaps KFX Input can be enhanced to do this.

Not sure if calibre will do a decent conversion to Kindle format, as it doesn't have official support for FXL ePub.

That said, I think either is a viable alternative to Kindle Comic Converter. My preference would be Kindle Create.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-30-2023 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-30-2023, 06:38 PM   #675
sgt123456
sgt123456 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I assume these are CBR or CBZ?

You can try Kindle Create, or the older Kindle Comic Creator.

Unpack the CBR/CBZ so you can add the image files with one of the tools. If they aren't .jpg, covert them to .jpg.

Kindle Comic Creator will output KF8 (with .mobi file extension, which you could change to .azw3).

Kindle Create will output KPF. You can use calibre KFX Import plugin's command line interface to convert this to FXL ePub or PDF. I think Send To Kindle should convert ePub to a functional KF8 file.

I am trying things with a manga CBZ downloaded from archive.org.

Kindle Comic Creator is more 'one step' (creates KF8 with specified metadata),
but seems to choke on high resolution manga files (1245x3056). Not sure how much reduction is necessary, but it only lets you input 960 x 1280 as the canvas dimensions (though it handles larger images as per previous experiments).

Kindle Create handles the high resolution images without any trouble. Kindle Create + KFX Input doesn't generate Kindle format, so additional steps are needed to add, metadata and convert from FXL ePUB or PDF to a Kindle format.

Send To Kindle will handle either FXL ePub or PDF (and let you set Title/Author), but I think ePub should yield better results. Not sure panel view information (if any) survives. If not, perhaps KFX Input can be enhanced to do this.

Not sure if calibre will do a decent conversion to Kindle format, as it doesn't have official support for FXL ePub.

That said, I think either is a viable alternative to Kindle Comic Converter. My preference would be Kindle Create.
Wow thanks for the info! I will take a look at it!
sgt123456 is offline   Reply With Quote