Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-28-2024, 07:10 AM   #1
karl19981
karl19981 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Can you create a micro SD card image without taking apart your Kobo?

Hi everyone,

The title summarizes my question. I am curious if anyone has tried creating a micro SD image without the need to take apart your Kobo e-reader, extract the micro SD card, then plug the micro SD card into an SD card reader which plugs into your PC. Instead of going through that hassle, is it possible to create an SD card image through USB and then run the image creation software from there? I understand that micro SD images are available via request in a separate thread, I would like to backup the mods and configs that I do to my future Kobo without having to take it apart each time. I currently have no functioning Kobo to work with currently.

Thank you for your time.
karl19981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 05:07 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Only the FAT32 partition is accessible through the USB connection. The two ext4 partitions and the free space are not able to be accessed and copied using a USB connection.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2024, 05:50 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I know a LONG TIME ago a post was made about a backup of the internal card via netcat.

Take a look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=338

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 01:15 AM   #4
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I know a LONG TIME ago a post was made about a backup of the internal card via netcat.

Take a look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=338

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

I can’t wait to try this! Do you know what format that .dat file was that he created? I wonder if dd will work through netcat instead. That will make a mountable disk image.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 05:44 AM   #5
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

TL;DR I’m afraid those steps don’t work anymore. They are nine years out of date.

Details below:

Spoiler:
The first problem is that most of the processes that are listed in those directions don’t exist anymore. The second problem is that, although the principle is to kill any process that accesses /mnt/onboard, there is only one process listed by ps in the modern firmware that does so: tcpsvd. Killing that process is easy. The problem is that something else is accessing that directory that refuses to let me unmount /mnt/onboard.

I ran “lsof +r2 | grep ‘/mnt/onboard’” to see which process was the culprit. It wasn’t good news.

Nickel is what has got its hooks into that directory. You can kill it, but after a few moments, the Kobo reboots. As expected.

I can successfully get netcat running a tunnel to the Kobo, but I can’t finish typing the command to start the backup in another terminal before the Kobo reboots.

As far as I understand, Nickel is the OS. I don’t think it’s possible to suspend nickel without causing the Kobo to crash.

Maybe somebody who knows more about Linux than I do can pipe up and give us their input, but it seems that the answer to the OP’s question is “no”.

Last edited by Cootey; 04-30-2024 at 06:23 PM.
Advert
Old 04-30-2024, 07:32 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looking at the instructions, it would seem that tshering was using KSM so nickel would not have been started. You may want to look at the koreader.sh or plato.sh startup scripts to see how they handle killing nickel, sickel, etc.

Plato:
Code:
killall -TERM nickel hindenburg sickel fickel adobehost foxitpdf iink dhcpcd-dbus dhcpcd fmon > /dev/null 2>&1
KOReader:
Code:
killall -q -TERM nickel hindenburg sickel fickel strickel fontickel adobehost foxitpdf iink dhcpcd-dbus dhcpcd bluealsa bluetoothd fmon nanoclock.lua
sickel needs to be killed since it will trigger when the device is not responding. I.e. when nickel has been killed.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:51 PM   #7
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Looking at the instructions, it would seem that tshering was using KSM so nickel would not have been started. You may want to look at the koreader.sh or plato.sh startup scripts to see how they handle killing nickel, sickel, etc.

Thanks, David.

nickel sickel fickel strickel fontickel?

I love the naming structure. 😃

This is a realm of the Kobo underbelly that I haven’t delved into at all since I’ve never installed Plato or koreader. I was happy with the default reader. However, I’ve been frustrated that I can’t do a dd back up of my Elipsa, so this will be a worthwhile experiment.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:03 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Thanks, David.

nickel sickel fickel strickel fontickel?

I love the naming structure. 😃

This is a realm of the Kobo underbelly that I haven’t delved into at all since I’ve never installed Plato or koreader. I was happy with the default reader. However, I’ve been frustrated that I can’t do a dd back up of my Elipsa, so this will be a worthwhile experiment.
My personal favourite is hindenburg. I just wonder how often the code crashed and burned before that name was applied.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:04 PM   #9
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please document the process if you manage to get it working! I'd like to image my Libra 2, as well.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 08:07 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Remember; it's kind of pointless having a backup unless there is a way to restore it!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 10:08 PM   #11
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Libra 2 uses an SD card, so once you dissolve the waterproof coating, you can replace it. I don't remember whether the Elipsa is SD or eMMC.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 12:06 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The Libra 2 uses an SD card, so once you dissolve the waterproof coating, you can replace it. I don't remember whether the Elipsa is SD or eMMC.
The Elipsa and Elipsa 2E use eMMC storage. I've attached an image from the FCC documentation for the N605 Elipsa 2E.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-01 210503.png
Views:	30
Size:	813.0 KB
ID:	207972  
Old 05-02-2024, 11:48 AM   #13
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Just kill nickel and sickel, remount the partitions read-only over SSH ("mount -o remount,ro /" and the same for /mnt/onboard), then use something like "ssh root@kobo dd if=/dev/whatever | dd of=image.img", then reboot. You can also do it over telnet, but it's a little more complicated.
geek1011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 04:36 PM   #14
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Remember; it's kind of pointless having a backup unless there is a way to restore it!

🤔 Very true. For some reason I was thinking that if I can backup all the partitions this way, then I can restore them as well, but reading is very different from writing. But this may still be worthwhile pursuing.

The reason this thread excited me initially is because I’m hoping to find a way to restore that doesn’t cause my Elipsa to crash. Making a backup of the mounted drive is easy. However, only my microSD Kobos have allowed me to restore simply by copying the backup over the mounted drive’s contents. This doesn’t work well for the Elipsa.

I suspect the notation and notebook syncing with Kobo’s servers is the difference, not the lack of a microSD card. When you reset the firmware and log back into the Elipsa, the server synced files must have different auth keys (or something). Copying the old content over the new content can cause corruptions or a hard firmware reset.

Instead, I have to manually copy over the side loaded books, as well as the databases in .kobo. Using cp to restore would be so much faster, but dd would make an exact restoration.

Last edited by Cootey; 05-02-2024 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:40 PM   #15
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Just kill nickel and sickel, remount the partitions read-only over SSH ("mount -o remount,ro /" and the same for /mnt/onboard), then use something like "ssh root@kobo dd if=/dev/whatever | dd of=image.img", then reboot. You can also do it over telnet, but it's a little more complicated.

Thanks! I’ll give that a shot later tonight. I was only using Telnet bc of the posted steps from 2015.

Tags
diy, kobo, micro sd card