Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-09-2022, 11:40 PM   #1
maudybee
maudybee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Loading Kobo Clara HD with Calibre

Hi there, I am thinking of buying a Kobo Clara HD. I have a lot of epubs that I would like to load to it using Calibre. Is it as simple as loading my mobis to my Kindle using Calibre has been?

I am old and hard to learn new things so if it is the same I will get the Kobo since I prefer epubs.

Thanks for any help.
maudybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 02:47 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The short answer: Yes. Just run calibre, plug the device in, select the books and then press the send-to-device button. Exactly the same as for you Kindle.

If you want the long answer, I gave it the other day here. That give some ideas about what else you can do. If, after you have used the Kobo for a while you decide that you want to change things, that post is probably a good starting point.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2022, 11:22 AM   #3
maudybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The short answer: Yes. Just run calibre, plug the device in, select the books and then press the send-to-device button. Exactly the same as for you Kindle.

If you want the long answer, I gave it the other day here. That give some ideas about what else you can do. If, after you have used the Kobo for a while you decide that you want to change things, that post is probably a good starting point.
Thank you so much for this. I read the other page you included and will read it again since I don't understand much of it but it helps to know I can just do simple reading by sending the books to the kobo the same way I do for Kindle and that was a huge help. thanks again. I do have a Kobo account from many years ago and assume the books I purchased in that account won't load if I leave wifi off. Excited to get back to Kobo and so appreciative of this forum.
Old 04-10-2022, 12:13 PM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maudybee View Post
I do have a Kobo account from many years ago and assume the books I purchased in that account won't load if I leave wifi off. Excited to get back to Kobo and so appreciative of this forum.
You can install the Kobo desktop app onto your laptop and transfer the books to your Kobo via usb. I don't have wifi in my house, so this is what I do and how I set up the account. If you want to leave your wifi off, you can.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 12:33 PM   #5
maudybee

I didn't think of the Kobo app. Thanks for reminder.

I actually might just not register the new Kobo since I think logging in will automatically load all old purchases to the new device and I have read all those books and don't want the clutter. :-)

Glad I found this site again. I'm 75 and seems like things are getting more complicated for me. I just want to read. Even that is touch and go for comprehension.

Ok sorry. I tend to yack.
Advert
Old 04-10-2022, 09:02 PM   #6
maudybee

I should probably start a new topic but got the Kobo Clara HD and my new Macbook Air doesn't recognize it. i am not sure if it is because there are no USB ports so I have to use an adaptor to plug in USB. The adaptor has been working for my wireless mouse and Kindlle so not sure what's up with the Kobo.
Old 04-10-2022, 09:27 PM   #7
maudybee

Macbook Air won't recognize Kobo Clara HD

I just bought a new Kobo Clara HD and it won't show on my Macbook Air.

I had been adding books through a USB adaptor to the laptop (no USB docs) and loading to Kindle just fine but looks like it might not recognize the Kobo. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or have to go back to using Kindle.

I searched and couldn't find a solution.
Old 04-10-2022, 09:54 PM   #8
maudybee

I couldn't see a delete option for above posts. Sorry.

I updated the software on the new Clara and it works. Whew.
Old 04-11-2022, 08:36 AM   #9
maudybee

spoke too soon. Kobo won't allow me to read any of the books loaded through Calibre. guess it's back to kindle.
Old 04-11-2022, 10:29 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
spoke too soon. Kobo won't allow me to read any of the books loaded through Calibre. guess it's back to kindle.
Might I suggest moving your issue to the Kobo forum? Are you sure you're sending Epubs to the Kobo and not mobi?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 01:56 PM   #11
maudybee

No epubs. but thanks for the tip regarding Kobo thread. Still finding my wY.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:03 AM   #12
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
Quote:
No epubs. but thanks for the tip regarding Kobo thread. Still finding my wY.
Your calibre library may be all mobi "now", but it's very easy in Calibre to convert existing books from mobi to epub (presuming they are DRM free), then transfer the epub versions of the books to the kobo.

I went through the same learning pains a few years ago--I had Kindles for years and years; and finally bought a Kobo Clara HD to try it, and fell in love with Kobo. Yes, it did take a bit to convert many books I had already from mobi to epub for the Kobo; but once you've done it a few times in Caliber, it's easy and not really something to think about doing after a while. It's just a step in the process, and not a big deal.

and then... I graduated to not only just mobi-->epub, but then also to -->kepub... because Kobo's have some additional formatting things available when it's kepub, and I like options, lol.
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:04 PM   #13
maudybee

Thanks SLKissinger, It turned out that my mobis (which I had been using on the kindle for a while) were converted to epub and working fine until late at night reading and switched to a different book and suddenly they were all DRMd. :-)

I have solved the issue but now see that I have something new to learn. I had not heard about "kepub". I must move to the Kobo forum to do some reading there. :-) So appreciate the tips.
Old 04-13-2022, 09:10 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks SLKissinger, It turned out that my mobis (which I had been using on the kindle for a while) were converted to epub and working fine until late at night reading and switched to a different book and suddenly they were all DRMd. :-)

I have solved the issue but now see that I have something new to learn. I had not heard about "kepub". I must move to the Kobo forum to do some reading there. :-) So appreciate the tips.
Before you switch to KePub, you should check out both ePub and KePub. There are some differences that you should see for yourself.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:43 PM   #15
maudybee

thanks Jon. Will do. I have enough on the Kobo for now and I tend to spend too much time preparing to read and not enough reading so I will hold off on the Kepubs. :-)

Tags
calibre, kobo clarahd