Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-21-2023, 05:02 PM   #1441
wynnwave
wynnwave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hi, new MobileRead user here but longtime user of KCC.

I was getting the "None" error on a few files, so I updated to 5.6.3. Now the error I get on those files is "Destination path 'C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\KCC-d64mburq\ComicInfo.xml' already exists" (the string of characters after "KCC-" is different for each file and different on every attempt at converting them). I've checked that Temp directory and there are no files or folders with KCC in the name at all (even with hidden files shown). Is there a solution to this issue?
wynnwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 02:15 AM   #1442
axu2
Connoisseur
axu2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynnwave View Post

I was getting the "None" error on a few files, so I updated to 5.6.3. Now the error I get on those files is "Destination path 'C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\KCC-d64mburq\ComicInfo.xml' already exists" (the string of characters after "KCC-" is different for each file and different on every attempt at converting them). I've checked that Temp directory and there are no files or folders with KCC in the name at all (even with hidden files shown). Is there a solution to this issue?
Could you please provide a minimal test file? Is that a comic rack generated file?

The None error prior to v5.6.3 was hiding the real error message which is now visible.

Please open a GitHub issue too, may get better response there.

Last edited by axu2; 08-22-2023 at 02:22 AM.
axu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2023, 04:24 AM   #1443
Tamamaster
Tamamaster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 5
Hey guys,

Got around to opening a GitHub issue as per #582.
I've also attached a test file as per dropbox.
Thanks for all the help.
Tamamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 08:41 AM   #1444
wynnwave
wynnwave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynnwave View Post

Apparently I just needed to sleep on this. Came back to it this morning and quickly discovered that the ComicRack tags had been generated twice, in 2 different places within the CBZ. Was a simple matter of deleting one of the ComicInfo.xml files from the CBZ and it works fine now.
wynnwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 04:13 PM   #1445
axu2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamamaster View Post
Hey guys,

Got around to opening a GitHub issue as per #582.
I've also attached a test file as per dropbox.
Thanks for all the help.
Don't merge with comicrack. Put the volumes in a folder unzipped and use the folder directly.

Or delete the comicinfo.xml

Last edited by axu2; 08-31-2023 at 04:17 PM.
Advert
Old 09-06-2023, 06:15 PM   #1446
RooZ
RooZ began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Anyone else getting odd results with Windows 11?
I even rolled back to version 5.1.2 and still getting random file sizes that makes no sense...

I own BQ Cervantes 4 which has odd interface, resolution etc. so it took me ages to find a sweetspot (1060x1315) and KCC ran on W11 does not respect these settings at all :/

To be more precise - i need to set the custom resolution + upscale of the comic book

When i convert it on W10 i get the file size of 240mb when i convert the very same file with the same version and settings but on W11 what i get is the 206mb sized file and it does not fill the full screen of the device...

Why?!
RooZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 12:19 PM   #1447
axu2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooZ View Post
Anyone else getting odd results with Windows 11?
I even rolled back to version 5.1.2 and still getting random file sizes that makes no sense...

I own BQ Cervantes 4 which has odd interface, resolution etc. so it took me ages to find a sweetspot (1060x1315) and KCC ran on W11 does not respect these settings at all :/

To be more precise - i need to set the custom resolution + upscale of the comic book

When i convert it on W10 i get the file size of 240mb when i convert the very same file with the same version and settings but on W11 what i get is the 206mb sized file and it does not fill the full screen of the device...

Why?!
Can you upload screenshots of the settings you are using? On both W10 and W11.

Also, please try v5.6.3. Where did you even find v5.1.2
Old 09-19-2023, 02:35 PM   #1448
aval1251
aval1251 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Using v5.6.3 and got an "Unsupported archive forrmat" error trying to turn a .cbz into a .mobi. Is there something I should be doing differently?
aval1251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 06:35 PM   #1449
axu2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by aval1251 View Post
Using v5.6.3 and got an "Unsupported archive forrmat" error trying to turn a .cbz into a .mobi. Is there something I should be doing differently?
What happens when you try extracting the CBZ outside of KCC and using the extracted folder directly?
Old 09-19-2023, 10:12 PM   #1450
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I've run into a couple of cases where the file was a .CBR (RAR) or .CB7 (7Zip) archive not a .ZIP archive. And one case where the creator of the file wanted to save every byte they could so they used 7Zip to generate the .cbz file using a 3840MB dictionary with LZMA Ultra compression ZIP format archive. They saved 8MB on a 381MB file but since the file needed 3842MB of memory for the dictionary, it wouldn't open on any eInk device I had access to.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 12:28 PM   #1451
aval1251
aval1251 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by axu2 View Post
What happens when you try extracting the CBZ outside of KCC and using the extracted folder directly?
I’m pretty new to using the program. What do you mean by this?
aval1251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 01:11 PM   #1452
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by aval1251 View Post
I’m pretty new to using the program. What do you mean by this?
You would open the .cbz file with an unzip tool (I use 7Zip), extract the files to a directory and then use that directory as the source for KCC. Some people get enthused about trying to save small amounts of disk space so use compression techniques that are not well supported, misname files, etc.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 03:50 PM   #1453
emilgoku
emilgoku began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Does KCC apply dithering? If so, do we know which kind of dithering it applies? I own a Kindle which doesn't do its own dithering that I know of and I would love to skip the step of using ImageMagick before KCC specially since I don't knoenif converting later with KCC will affect the dithering from ImageMagick and I can't do it after since I want to use AZW3. I've heard FloydSteinberg is one of the best kinds of ditherings right now, so is there any way we could use this or smth similar w KCC?
emilgoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 03:57 AM   #1454
innocenat
Zealot
innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.innocenat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PPW5, Quaderno A4, Supernote A6X, Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilgoku View Post
Does KCC apply dithering? If so, do we know which kind of dithering it applies? I own a Kindle which doesn't do its own dithering that I know of and I would love to skip the step of using ImageMagick before KCC specially since I don't knoenif converting later with KCC will affect the dithering from ImageMagick and I can't do it after since I want to use AZW3. I've heard FloydSteinberg is one of the best kinds of ditherings right now, so is there any way we could use this or smth similar w KCC?
KCC dithers with Floyd Steinberg.
innocenat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 01:04 PM   #1455
axu2
Connoisseur

There was a PR related to dither in early KCC days saying that it's not space efficient to dither and use jpg compression, which is required for azw3/mobi. Using png with azw3/mobi is slow and has poor performance on my kindle personally.

So I wouldn't dither in image Magick

https://github.com/ciromattia/kcc/pull/26

Last edited by axu2; 10-01-2023 at 01:09 PM.

Tags
k5 tools, kcc, kindle tools