Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2023, 01:08 PM   #1486
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Thanks! I probably then skip upscaling and do it myself.
KCC is really great with double-page processing though
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 08:26 PM   #1487
Cratylus
Cratylus began at the beginning.

Very glad to see this project sill getting updated, thanks everyone for your hard work!

Looking for some clarification on landscape mode:
Landscape mode on kindle displays pages in pairs, meaning pages 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 etc. will be shown the side by side, with no way on device to increment a single page forward shifting the displayed pages to 2/3, 4/5, 6/7 etc.
This means that matching up pages 2/3 as opposed to 1/2 must be done during/prior to processing by KCC.
The options are:
1. Optional blank page insertion.
Inserting a blank page can ‘bump’ the page pairings from 1/2 to 2/3, but even if good tools were developed this is a time-consuming process to check each file to determine whether blank page insertion is needed.
2. Kindle Create.
With this tool you can set ‘facing pages’ which means you can force e.g. pages 2/3 to always display together, but this is as time-consuming as blank page insertion.
3. Wait for Amazon to add the ability to increment by a single page.
This seems unlikely as official releases will not need this feature because they have been pre-processed by Kindle Create or some similar process.

So my question is, are we stuck here? Pretty disappointing for landscape mode to be hamstrung by something as trivial as an inability to increment forward a single page, but maybe that’s where we are?
Cratylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2023, 01:39 AM   #1488
axu2
Connoisseur
axu2 began at the beginning.

It's a common feature request to add a UI toggle to add a blank page. Maybe there could be some sort of logic to auto detect whether one is needed. Nobody has picked up that task yet however.
axu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 04:57 AM   #1489
Cratylus
Cratylus began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axu2 View Post
It's a common feature request to add a UI toggle to add a blank page. Maybe there could be some sort of logic to auto detect whether one is needed. Nobody has picked up that task yet however.
Yeah I think the blank page UI toggle would be really handy! Any kind of auto detect logic seems like the juice might not be worth the squeeze though.
Cratylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 10:27 PM   #1490
axu2
Connoisseur

Anyone have any issues to renaming things by generation? Too many people pick Kindle 11 when they have a PW5.

https://github.com/ciromattia/kcc/pull/655

"Kindle Scribe",
"Kindle 11",
"Kindle PW 11",
"Kindle Oasis 9/10",
----
"Kindle Oasis 8",
"Kindle PW 7/10",
"Kindle Voyage",
"Kindle PW 5/6",
"Kindle 4/5/7/8/10",
"Kindle Touch",
"Kindle Keyboard",
"Kindle DX",
"Kindle 2",
"Kindle 1",

Last edited by axu2; 01-05-2024 at 08:35 PM.
Advert
Old 12-31-2023, 12:01 PM   #1491
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If it will help to keep people from screwing up, I'm in favour of the rename.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 12:52 AM   #1492
axu2
Connoisseur

Thanks I'll change the Kindle labels in the next release. Meanwhile...

Here's a nifty feature in the recent KCC v5.6.5:

You can now generate covers without the Kindle plugged in, especially useful if you have a Kindle Scribe with the new MTP firmware update that broke the previous method that simply required the Kindle being plugged in during conversion.

Details here: https://github.com/ciromattia/kcc/issues/508

TLDR: Use a physical flash drive or virtual drive that will pretend to be a Kindle. Covers will be generated on that drive and you simply copy the covers onto your real Kindle.

Last edited by axu2; 01-08-2024 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-16-2024, 01:28 PM   #1493
vividpierock
vividpierock began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW10
Can you help me with reading manga on landscape mode with Panel View in two page layout? I have a Kindle PW10.

I modified the comic2ebook.py file, but unfortunately the Panel View goes like:
full two page -> first page top -> second page top -> first page middle -> second page middle -> first page bottom -> second page bottom -> next page.

I tried:
1. Setting the virtual-rl to the metadata primary-writing-mode, modifying the boxStyles like the picture below.
2. Removing the app-amzn-magnify, region-mag, and all PV divs, but with no success.
Quote:
The Virtual Panels feature is activated for comics and manga books in the absence of publisher-provided panels. The RegionMagnification metadata is used to identify whether the publisher has provided panel information. If the publisher has included Region Magnification panels on any page, the Kindle Virtual Panel view is not enabled.
3. Removing all Spread lines, so it shows only one page but with the correct top, middle, bottom Panel View.
4. Combining the two page in one image file, disabled the processing, so it works like in the picture but the page turn is slow and I don't know how to automate the image combining process.

So is there a way to do this vertical Panel View while keeping the spread, two page layout?
vividpierock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 01:38 PM   #1494
vividpierock
vividpierock began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW10
Click image for larger version

Name:	vertical.png
Views:	53
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	205840
Forgot the picture. Also miswrote vertical-rl.

Last edited by vividpierock; 01-16-2024 at 01:40 PM.
vividpierock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 03:18 PM   #1495
wynnwave
wynnwave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I'm currently trying to get KCC set up on Linux (Steam Deck specifically), but I'm running into an issue when trying to generate MOBI files. I did the following:

- Installed the KCC flatpak
- Downloaded kindlegen_linux_i386
- Extracted the kindlegen executable and put it in the /home/.var/app/io.github.ciromattia.kcc/data/kindlegen directory

When I try to use KCC, it successfully generates an EPUB, but then it gets stuck on "processing MOBI files". Is there anything I might be doing wrong?
wynnwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 05:08 PM   #1496
axu2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynnwave View Post
I'm currently trying to get KCC set up on Linux (Steam Deck specifically), but I'm running into an issue when trying to generate MOBI files. I did the following:

- Installed the KCC flatpak
- Downloaded kindlegen_linux_i386
- Extracted the kindlegen executable and put it in the /home/.var/app/io.github.ciromattia.kcc/data/kindlegen directory

When I try to use KCC, it successfully generates an EPUB, but then it gets stuck on "processing MOBI files". Is there anything I might be doing wrong?
Did you put kindlegen directly in the data folder or in a kindlegen folder? Try both.
Old 01-19-2024, 09:00 AM   #1497
wynnwave
wynnwave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by axu2 View Post
Did you put kindlegen directly in the data folder or in a kindlegen folder? Try both.
I've tried both. If I put it directly in the data folder, then KCC gets stuck on "Creating MOBI files". If it's in a kindlegen folder within the data folder, then KCC gets stuck on "Processing MOBI files".
wynnwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 12:02 PM   #1498
axu2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynnwave View Post
I've tried both. If I put it directly in the data folder, then KCC gets stuck on "Creating MOBI files". If it's in a kindlegen folder within the data folder, then KCC gets stuck on "Processing MOBI files".
In that case consider opening a GitHub issue with screenshots of kcc settings, error message, and where you put kindlegen in the file structure. One of the maintainers has a steam deck but mentioned he couldn't get it working either.

Also search the issues for mentions of flatpak. Maybe doing a chmod mentioned here will help. https://github.com/ciromattia/kcc/is...ent-1280905316
Old 02-04-2024, 06:04 AM   #1499
nete
nete began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021
Hey everyone.

Loving the tool.

Have had some experience with it and mostly loving it

I am trying to do panel view but it always starts on the left corner. Any way of getting it to start on right corner?

Enabled manga mode...

Using kcc.exe not touched any files but maybe willing to if it is not too complicated.
nete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 10:21 PM   #1500
axu2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nete View Post
Hey everyone.

Loving the tool.

Have had some experience with it and mostly loving it

I am trying to do panel view but it always starts on the left corner. Any way of getting it to start on right corner?

Enabled manga mode...

Using kcc.exe not touched any files but maybe willing to if it is not too complicated.
Please provide a screenshot of your KCC settings.

Ensure you are using the latest v5.7.0

https://github.com/ciromattia/kcc/releases

Ensure you are selecting the Kindle PW 11 profile. This was previously called the Kindle PW5 profile.

Make sure you start panel view by double tapping the top right corner.

Also everyone else, please test the new macOS ARM build that runs 2x faster.

Last edited by axu2; 02-04-2024 at 10:50 PM.

Tags
k5 tools, kcc, kindle tools