Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2015, 08:44 AM   #1
Rojofo
Zealot
Rojofo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question KOBO Touch: direct access to dictionaries ?

Hi to All,

Could some charitable soul tell me if it is possible to access dictionaries on the KObo Touch directly from the home page or other direct access page (that is not through the text of a particular book)?

Direct access allows you to key in any word and get the definition or translation so you can use the Kobo as a dictionary outside of any particular book.

This is possible on more modern KObos but I can't see how to do it on the Kobo Touch.

My Kobo Touch is running sofware 3.17.3.

Thank you for any advice

Last edited by Rojofo; 09-17-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Rojofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Yes, you can do this with the latest firmware. The latest firmware has the dictionary lookup integrated with the search. You bring up the search, select dictionary as the place to search and then the dictionary to search. This is available for the Touch.

But, I would have said that firmware 3.2 on the Touch had a dictionary lookup. It should be on the "Extras" menu on the home screen. And from the menu when reading a book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2015, 03:27 AM   #3
Rojofo
Zealot

Thank you, Davidfor, I now see how it works.

I will also see if I can get the 3.2 firmware, even though the direct acces that you indicate through the "search" option is available in 3.17.3.

Best wishes,
Rojofo.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:57 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojofo View Post
Thank you, Davidfor, I now see how it works.

I will also see if I can get the 3.2 firmware, even though the direct acces that you indicate through the "search" option is available in 3.17.3.
Looking at your post, I don't know where the "3.2" came from. I would have said that's what you said you were running. Did you edit it and correct the firmware while I was writing?

In any case, 3.2 is a lot older than 3.17.3. The function I am talking about is in 3.17.3. On the home screen, tap the search "bar" at the top. On the next screen, tap the "bookstore" on the right of the bar. A dropdown will be displayed with "Dictionary" on it. Select that. It will then display the current dictionary and you can change this. Entering a word and pressing go will search the dictionary.

The only problem with this is that there are some dictionaries that cannot be searched like this. The licenses Kobo them allows selected word look up, but not a random search. Two of the restricted dictionaries are French and Dutch. I don't know if there are others.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:19 AM   #5
Rojofo
Zealot

Thank you once again for this information.

Yes, you are right, I did modify the information about the firmware just after posting because I realized I hadn't given the right information, probably just as you were writing your reply!
These restrictions don't affect my present use of the dictionary (mostly for Spanish/English) but I had come across problems in the past concerning French. Now I understand why!
Advert

Tags
dictionary access