Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-30-2023, 05:20 PM   #181
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It's a nationwide problem. Only a few places send recycling someplace other than a landfill. Things got really bad when China stopped importing recycled material because of contamination. (Most places likely do sell aluminum cans to aluminum can recyclers.)
Plastic rarely gets recycled now. It's difficult to recycle at the best of times, and people toss tons of stuff that can't actually be recycled in, contaminating things and making it uneconomical to even try. (They call that wishcycling.) Paper, cardboard and glass and aluminum cans are much more likely to be recycled, especially glass and aluminum cans.

The only real solution is to force companies to either have to recycle their own packaging, or use actually recyclable packaging, but that's unlikely to happen in any of our lifetimes.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 10:14 PM   #182
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
In my complex, we have multiple recycle streams. Paper in 4 bins, cardboard in a dumpster, organic waste in a couple of bins, glass in a couple of bins and plastic/metals/etc. in 4 bins. A nice idea in theory. Sadly, the practice is not quite the same.

For instance, last time, I dumped our organic waste into it's bin, someone had mostly filled both the organic recycling bins with styrofoam packaging.

On another occasion, a large uncollapsed cardboard box was filling an entire paper bin. When it was removed, it was found to be full of garbage, food scraps, letters, resumes, job applications printouts, etc. When the owner of the garbage was contacted by the strata council, their response was that the council had no business going through their garbage.

Then we could go through the number of times, the glass recycling bins have been filled with plastic bottles, garbage, borosilicate glass cookware, etc. Evidently, the big sign saying that the bins are for glass and listing a lot of items that should not go into the bins are just there for decoration.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2023, 06:22 PM   #183
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The place I drop off my recycling has large dumpsters with slits about 4" high for cardboard. Clearly it's to try to force people to actually break their boxes down, but it still fails. I've seen people taking more time cramming an unbroken cardboard box through one of the openings than it would have taken to just break the damn thing down.

I hate breaking boxes down, but I still don't understand people doing that. I break them all down at home so they don't take up as much space between drop offs. That lets me get more recycling in the back of my van as well.

They also replaced one of the large dumpsters for plastic with one that has a grid over the openings. That forces people to not toss a whole bag in. Usually the other one is full, but the grid one isn't even half full.
Old 08-08-2023, 12:12 PM   #184
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Amazon is holding a Prime Day-like shopping event this fall once again

So soon? Is there no end...?

From TechCrunch today:
Quote:
Amazon is holding a Prime Day-like shopping event this fall, the company announced on Tuesday. The online retail giant had two Prime sales events in July and October in 2022 and is doing the same this year. Amazon is calling the fall sales event “Prime Big Deal Days,” but didn’t share the which days it would be holding the sales event.

Prime Big Deal Days will take place in the following 19 countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, the U.S. and the UK.

“We’ll share more details soon as we get closer to the event,” the company wrote in a blog post. “We can’t wait to give our Prime members access to exclusive early savings this season.”

Today’s announcement comes after Amazon saw record sales for Prime Day this year. Across both days of the event, consumers in the U.S. spent $12.7 billon, according to Adobe Analytics data. Adobe says this figure represents 6.1% growth year-over-year, setting a new record for the sales event. The online retail giant says shoppers purchased more than 375 million items during the two-day sale event, up from 300 million items sold last year.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 02:46 PM   #185
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrant View Post
So soon? Is there no end...?

From TechCrunch today:
It's a 3 month separation between the two sales events. Last year, Prime Day was 12~13 July 2022 and Prime Early Access Sale was 11~12 Oct 2022. This year, Amazon is calling it Prime Big Deal Days.

This is nothing more than Amazon starting their Black Friday sales in October. With only two months to go, people should wait until then to purchase their gadgets.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2023, 03:47 PM   #186
Manabi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
This is nothing more than Amazon starting their Black Friday sales in October. With only two months to go, people should wait until then to purchase their gadgets.
They better watch out, other retailers may be starting their "Black Friday" sales in September. They'll fall behind!

I wish that was only a joke, but sadly it's probably true.
Old 08-09-2023, 05:35 AM   #187
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Cracker Barrel has Halloween and Christmas decorations up, including a tree, and items for sale. They were put up at the end of July.
APache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 11:04 PM   #188
GA Russell
Pre-season starts May 20
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It's a 3 month separation between the two sales events. Last year, Prime Day was 12~13 July 2022 and Prime Early Access Sale was 11~12 Oct 2022. This year, Amazon is calling it Prime Big Deal Days.

This may be the wrong thread to post this, but I am now in the market for a $50 Kindle.

Please let me know!

Thanks!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 11:07 PM   #189
GA Russell
Pre-season starts May 20
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Cracker Barrel has Halloween and Christmas decorations up, including a tree, and items for sale. They were put up at the end of July.
APache
I'm very surprised to see this. Clothing retailers, among others, anticipate the season.

Restaurants do not. No one in August is dining out for a Christmas dinner.

I wonder what the corporate people at Cracker Barrel are thinking.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 11:27 PM   #190
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Their store is just a retail store, I'm sure their corporate people in charge of that try to match what others are doing. The food doesn't change till later, if at all.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 10:17 AM   #191
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Retail has gone crazy widening the seasons. Last year, Lowes was putting out Xmas decorations before Halloween day .

Walmart (2 local area store) hadn't even finished putting OUT Halloween decorations before what they had, sold out (shelf space empty).

The problem with Corporate Control, is it ignores the local pulse (tastes, heritage). When Local store puts the stocked choices into local hands, we get stuff WE need or fits the local culture better.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 11:37 AM   #192
Manabi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I'm very surprised to see this. Clothing retailers, among others, anticipate the season.

Restaurants do not. No one in August is dining out for a Christmas dinner.

I wonder what the corporate people at Cracker Barrel are thinking.
Cracker Barrel's a bit unique in that there's a store attached to the restaurant. Larger than you might expect, too. They aren't decorating the restaurant for Christmas yet, they've only started selling Christmas stuff in the store portion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Their store is just a retail store, I'm sure their corporate people in charge of that try to match what others are doing. The food doesn't change till later, if at all.
The only change I'm aware of is on the catering side. They have some options for holiday dinners that aren't available the rest of the year, like a complete Thanksgiving dinner you just have to heat up and serve.
Old 08-31-2023, 07:25 AM   #193
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
To EVERYONE that Thought they were getting Freebies from Amazon during the Prime Days.... Check those Credit Cards Billings!!

I signed up for a few. Unlimited eBooks seems fine. BUT the other day I discovered my Audible ... I was being CHARGED for it! I called Audible about not receiving the next Credit. Was told was pending due to my Cr Card not having enough money on it would receive the credit when I fixed the problem. My response WHAT it was a FREE Offer! NOT they been Charging me $16 for Each Credit they had sent!!! BEWARE!!!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 02:26 PM   #194
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
To EVERYONE that Thought they were getting Freebies from Amazon during the Prime Days.... Check those Credit Cards Billings!!

I signed up for a few. Unlimited eBooks seems fine. BUT the other day I discovered my Audible ... I was being CHARGED for it! I called Audible about not receiving the next Credit. Was told was pending due to my Cr Card not having enough money on it would receive the credit when I fixed the problem. My response WHAT it was a FREE Offer! NOT they been Charging me $16 for Each Credit they had sent!!! BEWARE!!!
How can you not have enough credit for a free offer yet you have enough for a $16 charge?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 03:23 PM   #195
Manabi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How can you not have enough credit for a free offer yet you have enough for a $16 charge?
It sounds like they were trying to charge $16 and there wasn't enough credit left to do so. And that they'd been charging $16 every time they sent out a "free" credit.