Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 02-14-2021, 10:18 PM   #1
jrv
jrv began at the beginning.

Device: none
window.load event: works in editor but not in viewer

I created a simple .epub page below using the calibre editor. In the calibre editor (ebook-edit) preview the code runs as I expect, with both text items appended to the <p> tag. In atril document viewer the code runs as I expect. In the calibre viewer (ebook-viewer) the first event fires and the text is appended but the second does not seem to fire. I tried different formulations to catch the window.load event, but none worked. I need to use the window.load event because I need to wait for some referenced code to load. I am new to programming epub files, so this may be the result of a misunderstanding on my part. Is this a bug in the ebook-viewer which I should report or some error on my part? I am running calibre version 5.10.1 on debian bullseye, linux 5.10.0-1-amd64. I found the same behavior using calibre on ubuntu.

JR

Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en">
<head>
  <title>calibre onload</title>
  <script><![CDATA[
    document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', (event) => {
      var txt = document.createTextNode(' This text was added to the <p> in the DOMContentLoaded event.');
      document.getElementById('the-content').appendChild(txt);
    } );
    window.onload = (event) => {
    var txt = document.createTextNode(' This text was added to the <p> in load event.');
    document.getElementById('the-content').appendChild(txt);
  }
  ]]></script>
</head>
<body>
  <h1>calibre onload</h1>
  <p id="the-content">static content.</p>
</body>
</html>
jrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:51 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
dont use window.load use DOMContentLoaded
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2021, 10:15 AM   #3
jrv

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
dont use window.load use DOMContentLoaded
Thank you. DOMContentLoaded and window.onload (my typo in previous post) are semantically different (https://javascript.info/onload-ondom...#window-onload). DOMContentLoaded occurs after the DOM is loaded but before external files have loaded. I want to include an external (to the page, but internal to the .epub) javascript file using:

Code:
<script src="javascript/tabs.js"></script>
There is a function in the javascript function that is called to initialize the page, so window.onload is semantically the right place to call it. The initialization references one or more elements by id and is custom to each page. I also would prefer not having to include the contents of the included .js file in each .html file; it is common code that would have to be repeated on each page.

Is it correct calibre ebook-viewer does not support this DOM event? Is there an event that is semantically similar, i.e. after loading all resources, that could be used instead?

JR
Old 02-15-2021, 10:27 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah there is no window.onload in the viewer. I dont understand what your issue is. If you want to call some JS function in an external script, just put the code that is calling it after the external script tag, since you are not marking the script as async, it will be loaded before the code using it is called.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:32 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

And there I added a load event for you, since its harmless. https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...00b8c809d32ef9
Advert
Old 02-15-2021, 01:54 PM   #6
jrv

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I dont understand what your issue is. If you want to call some JS function in an external script, just put the code that is calling it after the external script tag, since you are not marking the script as async, it will be loaded before the code using it is called.
Thanks for looking at this. I made a new test (below) to try to implement what I think you suggested. In the ebooks editor it works like I hoped. In atril document viewer it works like I hoped. In ebook-viewer I get:
Code:
$ ebook-viewer calibre_onload.epub 
ERROR: clbr://internal.sandbox/book/__index__:2: Uncaught ReferenceError: accessFromImported is not defined
To me it looks as though the immediate script (below the <p> tag) is executed before the script from the imported file gets a chance to define the function.

JR

start.xhtml
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en">
<head>
  <title>calibre call initialization function</title>
  <script src="imported.js"></script>
</head>
<body>
  <h1>calibre call initialization function</h1>
  <p id="access-from-imported">static content for imported.</p>
  <script><![CDATA[
  accessFromImported();
  ]]></script>
</body>
</html>
imported.js
Code:
function accessFromImported() {
  document.getElementById( "access-from-imported" ).appendChild( document.createTextNode( " added by accessFromImported" ) );
}
Old 02-15-2021, 10:15 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

oh yeah i forgot the viewer loads all scripts asynchronously. Well either use the newly added window.load event or have your page specific code set a callback on the window object and your common js code load it on DOMContentloaded event.