Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-01-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
csavory
csavory began at the beginning.

Device: none
InDesign - ePub export html files instead of xhtml

When I export my ePub book and crack it open the markup files are in xhtml. Whereas all the free books that I've downloaded on gutenberg.org have had html files inside them. Is there an option in InDesign to export the files as html? In case you were wondering why; I have written some JavaScript do do some ePub parsing and the javascript evaluate function works differently with xhtml.
csavory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:46 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The ePub standard requires xhtml 1.1 per the specification. This mean well formed tags in all places. Gutenberg text are likely xhtml even if their extensions are htm or html. The extension does not matter.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
There is an option to export to html file in CC.
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:53 PM   #4
csavory
csavory began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by odedta View Post
There is an option to export to html file in CC.
@odedta, could you show me the option? I cannot find it.
csavory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:09 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
So far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong, it is the following lines at the beginning of each file which sets the HTML as XHTML 1.1

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE html
PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en">

I haven't bothered to find how to make the HTML editor I use produce the files as .xhtml. But they still work and validate to W3C standards and with EPUB-Checker.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2015, 01:47 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The ereader will expect xhtml whether it is marked that way or not.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote