Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
BBel
Enthusiast
BBel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (white cos I like it better!)
Stupid niave question but it is late...

I'm sure I already know this, but I bought my kobo today and it's charging so I haven't had much chance to play with it yet.
If I want to stay tickety boo and not do stripping etc. I purchase (as if it's possible) non-DRM ePub files correct? DRM ePub files will require some sort of manipulation?
Also can the Kobo be used while charging?
Thanks so much for your patienceb
BBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Quote:
If I want to stay tickety boo and not do stripping etc. I purchase (as if it's possible) non-DRM ePub files correct? DRM ePub files will require some sort of manipulation?
The Kobo handles DRM ePubs just fine (ADE DRM). Most publishers/retailers support Adobe Digital Editions, so if you're talking about commercial purchases, you'll be fine. No fudging around necessary to make it work with the Kobo.

Quote:
No. Hopefully a firmware update will address this in the future. It has been brought up.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
No. Hopefully a firmware update will address this in the future. It has been brought up.
I keep playing with the idea of "experimenting" with a USB cable; and seeing if for instance, I can just "snip" one of the data leads while leaving the power cables intact....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I keep playing with the idea of "experimenting" with a USB cable; and seeing if for instance, I can just "snip" one of the data leads while leaving the power cables intact....
Don't think it will work. I believe people stated that even with the USB wall chargers, the same "The Kobo is plugged in" message appears in the screen. So it would seem the Kobo switches to this "mode" even if it only detects the power line on the USB port.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Don't think it will work. I believe people stated that even with the USB wall chargers, the same "The Kobo is plugged in" message appears in the screen. So it would seem the Kobo switches to this "mode" even if it only detects the power line on the USB port.
DUH

Good point! I *AM* one who uses the wall charger!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
BBel
Enthusiast
BBel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (white cos I like it better!)
Thanks so much for your help! I'm gradually getting it!
BBel is offline   Reply With Quote